funny or at least lighthearted reading for pre-teens/young teenagers

(16 Posts)
alpinemeadow Wed 10-Jul-13 09:08:40

We're nicely lined up with lots of dystopian futuristic reading for the young teenage summer, which is great. But I was trying to think of something to recommend that is a bit more lighthearted or funny as well! I've got Adrian Mole, but after that my mind's gone blank.

Does anyone have any recommendations for comic/lighthearted fiction, old or new, for pre-teen/early teenagers?

Thanks so much!

NoComet Wed 10-Jul-13 09:11:16

Hitch hikers guide to the galaxy

Disc world

Percy Jackson if its not a bit young, monster fighting, but with humour.

alpinemeadow Wed 10-Jul-13 09:12:58

Ooh yes sbb, hitch hikers guide - and there are lots more in the series as well. I had forgotten about disc world as well, lots of them too. Thanks!

NoComet Wed 10-Jul-13 09:15:13

Actual comic books, Asterix and Calvin and hobs are both huge favourites here.

DD2 is also totally adicted to Garfield, when not reading Twilight and the 'sodding. hunger games. (Whole concept gives me the creeps)

alpinemeadow Wed 10-Jul-13 09:52:32

Off to look into calvin and hobs - haven't heard of them! I definitely think it's nice to intersperse some humour into the reading mix,

alpinemeadow Wed 10-Jul-13 20:12:24

back again for any evening preteen/teenage book experts

- if you have any more recommendations for more lighthearted books suitable for preteens/early teenagers, I'd be very grateful!

AuntieStella Wed 10-Jul-13 20:18:07

PG Wodehouse might work - especially if they've seen a Fry and Laurie adaptations and liked it.

alpinemeadow Wed 10-Jul-13 21:30:04

ah, now that is a brilliant idea - PG Wodehouse is really hilarious! Thanks so much!

iheartdusty Wed 10-Jul-13 21:34:43

How to be Topp and the other Molesworths

gerald durrell My Family & other animals

alpinemeadow Wed 10-Jul-13 21:47:27

Ooh yes, Molesworth already very popular here. My Family and Other Animals is a great idea - some hilarious characters!

flow4 Wed 10-Jul-13 22:42:48

Series of A Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket. There are 13 in the series. smile

flow4 Wed 10-Jul-13 22:43:21

Whoops, that should read A Series of Unfortunate Events.

booksteensandmagazines Sat 13-Jul-13 07:00:59

I've done some books lists by age for,teenagers - i cant think of any I'd classify as purely funny but Imhave graded them by age and then difficulty. www.booksteensandmagazines.com/reading-lists

alpinemeadow Sat 13-Jul-13 08:47:38

Thanks flow - we do have some lemony snicket, but i dont think the full 13 - maybe some more to go! Also for the booklists!

BrianButterfield Sat 13-Jul-13 08:50:06

Frank Cottrell Boyce (Cosmic, Framed) is funny.

alpinemeadow Sun 14-Jul-13 08:37:15

Thanks bb. How on earth have i missed him - it sounds hilarious! Another one for the list,

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now