Exchange programme

(7 Posts)
bigTillyMint Sun 07-Jul-13 18:28:56

I am an onlie too!

mrsmobbs Sun 07-Jul-13 18:06:33

Thanks for that, yes I think I will be great. He is an only child and I hope he will make a lifelong friend or at least a friend that he can e:mail from to to time and even visit occasionally. I am at least a bit less nervous so thanks everyone for your posts

bigTillyMint Sun 07-Jul-13 16:43:30

It will be great - don't worry! He sounds confident and keen, and even if the exchange student isn't his "type" of friend, I'm sure the family will make him feel welcome.

I did a French exchange every year from Y7 to leaving school and loved every one - all arranged through school. I am still really good friends with my first exchange, more than 35 years on - we go to stay with them every year as they live in the alps and it's perfect for skiing!

When I first went, I spoke only a tiny bit of French, but after 2 weeks of total immersion, I had a good accent and was really confident speaking French. I went on to do A' level and still speak French pretty fluentlysmile

Every family I went to was lovely - really welcoming and kind, and even though I am no longer in touch with any of the other girls, we got on fine.

mrsmobbs Sun 07-Jul-13 15:31:09

Thanks for messages, yes it is a school one and his best friend from school is also going, he is really looking forward to it and his German is pretty good so hopefully he will be able to get by. He is a happy kid so I am sure he won't be worried about being away from home as long as someone feeds him. As you say they have phones now it is just me being a bit paranoid

Turniptwirl Sun 07-Jul-13 15:17:44

Definitely go for it!

Ten days of being miserable wont kill him and its highly unlikely he will be miserable the whole time anyway.

mummytime Sun 07-Jul-13 09:25:36

Is this a school based one? If so talk to the school.

I did it at about that age, and it was great despite huge language difficulties etc. My 14 year old DD did one to France this academic year, she also found it a very valuable experience.

Compared to my day it is much easier, the youngsters have phone, they can contact their teachers day or night if anything goes wrong. For my DDs school which has done the French one for over 40 years, the worst they have had is a lack of a packed lunch, which was quickly catered for.

It is a fabulous opportunity and a real chance to develop languages.

mrsmobbs Sun 07-Jul-13 09:07:57

Hi ds wants to take part in German exchange programme in October he is going into yr 10 in sept and will be taking German at gcse level. Just a bit worried as he will be staying with complete strangers for 10 days and wondered if anyone has any experience of this. Do think if will be a great opportunity for him and do not want to worry him just a little reassurance needed on my part

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now