Teenage son weight loss

(8 Posts)
carly98 Mon 01-Jul-13 13:57:45

Hello, is it normal for a teenager to lose a lot of weight as they grow and stretch? My 14 yo son seems to have become quite 'skinny' over the past couple of weeks. His eating habits haven't changed. Since Friday he has been complaining of a stiff neck (but has been gaming a lot). On Saturday he said he could feel a lump in his neck, I felt it too but I couldn't feel it yesterday. I am very worried. He said he doesn't want to see the doctor as 'he's fine'. Am I being paranoid?

Losing body fat when they have a big growth spurt is normal but to become skinny in a couple of weeks is a little different. New / unexplained lumps should be checked out.
I think I might drag him to the doctors.

carly98 Tue 02-Jul-13 09:04:12

Thanks secretscwirrels, the lump in his neck seems to have gone now and he refused to go to the doctor this morning as he says "nothing wrong with him". Need to keep a close eye on his weight, but have an appointment next week for an annual review and will ask about it all then.

bettycocker Tue 02-Jul-13 21:06:53

Where abouts was the lump? Sorry if that's a weird question, but I had a goitre when I was that age. It came and went, but wasn't anything serious.

If it's where the thyroid gland is, there's no harm in getting it checked out. The GP can do a simple blood test for thyroid function.

Itaintmebabeitaintmeyourlookin Tue 02-Jul-13 22:46:53

Keep an eye on it. Is he looking well otherwise? Any vomiting loose stool or losing blood? Is he just slim or very thin and ill looking?
Teenagers can get IBD ... and they hide their symptoms so keep an eye.

MCos Wed 03-Jul-13 01:51:11

Has he been extra thirsty lately? Diabetes can cause sudden weight loss.
I'd bring him to doctor also.

carly98 Wed 03-Jul-13 11:43:29

bettycocker the lump is about an inch down and an inch back from his right earlobe, feels a bit like the top of a small marble. He looks well Itaintmebabeitaintmeyourlookin, just very thin but not ill looking thin I guess it's just that he's always been quite 'sturdy' looking. MCos, he's always thirsty, but that's nothing new - always drinks lots of dilute juice. He is refusing going to the doctor and says there's nothing wrong with him. Caught between wanting peace of mind / looking neurotic and frightening him unnecessarily confused Thanks for your replies

PJM18 Mon 08-Jul-13 21:16:33

Hi. I have a 13 year old and was also worried about him a few months ago as he seemed to become quite skinny and when I charted his weight in his book he hadn't gone up in the centile chart for ages. I've calmed down now though as he is eating like a horse and is slowly putting on weight but hadn't for ages. I think it is normal when they are taking a spurt in height.
Regarding the lump, it sounds like a lymph node that can come up due to a cold, sore throat, tooth problem etc. my son also had one like that recently and I was always trying to look at it but like your son he said go away, nothing's wrong!
As long as it doesn't get any bigger it's probably just been an infection of some sort and you have panicked by thinking weight loss and lumps but I'm sure t's nothing to worry about.
What I've done in the past whe my son hasn't wanted to go to the doctor is get a phone consultation and have a chat about my worries. They will let you. Know if they want to see him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now