Belly Button Piercing

(14 Posts)
crazynanna Sun 07-Jul-13 15:06:35

DD was 15 last week, and I called Cold Steel in Camden Town who said she had to be 18? Maybe it is 16 with PC, but she didn't mention it on the telephone. So I let DD have her nose done in a compromise.

livinginwonderland Sun 07-Jul-13 14:56:21

Of course you can swim with it in! You just need to clean it after. I got mine done at 19 after my parents said no for years. I'm 24 now and still love it smile it's her body and she can take it out if she doesn't like it. It's also covered so I don't see the issue.

secondchances Sun 07-Jul-13 09:13:07

6 weeks to heal & she absolutely MUST remember to clean it every single day morning & night in boiled then cooled salty water. After 6 weeks she can change the belly bar. Just be careful not to catch it on anything. Painful for a teeny bit but you do tend to forget it's there. I like mine.

VicarInaTutu Sat 29-Jun-13 00:38:03

DD is 16 next month, she had hers done at easter (so was 15)

she wanted it doing a couple of years ago but i asked her to research it and she read about them "growing out" if you have it done too early and while still growing. It can cause scar tissue which prevents getting it done again. She made the decision to wait.

Hers healed really quickly, didnt take anywhere near a year, but she was very diligent with cleaning and looking after it.

It looks lovely. She is tall and very slim, with a perfectly toned tummy....i would ask your dd to look at some of the pitfalls of getting it done too early/while still growing.

the only piercings i would put my foot down on are tongue or facial ones but luckily dd hates them. She has her navel and her ears done, one ear she has the top done twice, and the bottom done on both twice.

i figure around 16 is the best time to get navel done. I let dd make the decision and she was very sensible with it.

Princessjonsie Sat 29-Jun-13 00:25:11

Rather a piercing than a tattoo. She can take a belly bar out with no scar. I have had mine for 30 years and still love it. It's not like its on her face so I would let her but tell her from me it hurt like hell ( I did not have numbing gel) and it bled and bruised . I had it done at a established and reputable salon but even so. It heals really quickly when you take them out. I took mine out for 24hrs when I got married as it showed through my dress and had to have it re pierced

I had mine done for my 15th birthday. I'm 31 now and took it out in my early 20's. I don't see the problem really, just make sure she goes somewhere clean and reputable.

dexter73 Fri 28-Jun-13 20:27:02

My dd had hers done when she was 16 as I wouldn't let her have it done before then. She had first asked when she was 14. Hers has healed up well and she has been swimming since having it done in April.

MortifiedAdams Fri 28-Jun-13 16:04:13

I wasnt allowed mine done til I was 16, and it didnt make me a social pariah so please dont feel you have to cave for your dds sake.By the time I got to 16 I had lost interest and so dont have one.

However, DH is her parent too, and so you both need to make the decision. One view doesnt trump the other imo.

Dd1 had hers done for her 15th. She first asked when she was 13 and I refused. She also has her nose pierced.

Dd2 wants hers done, and will also wait until she is 15.

Oh dd has had no problems with healing btw.

cory Fri 28-Jun-13 15:50:30

My take is that I will not allow anything with possible medical consequences until age 16 unless I think it is a good idea. And that I will not pay for anything I disapprove of regardless of the age.

specialsubject Fri 28-Jun-13 15:06:11

forget what other kids do. This piercing takes a long time to heal (NHS says up to a year) and it is summer. I don't think you can swim while it is healing.

holidays? Swimming pool?

NatashaBee Fri 28-Jun-13 15:04:02

Most reputable body piercers won't do it till they're 16 anyway. If she is still growing then best to leave it until she's grown as the ring may move and leave a scar or just end up positioned oddly. I had mine done when I was 16 and skinny and it looks a bit strange now I've put a lot of weight on, it looks like it's hanging on by a very small thread of skin!

Locketjuice Fri 28-Jun-13 14:56:24

I hate them.. Don't mind tongue and ears but others I think are horrible hmm

Jimalfie Fri 28-Jun-13 14:51:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now