DS1 is 14 at the end of the week, ideas needed please .

(108 Posts)
Sparklingbrook Sun 23-Jun-13 10:08:33

He has already had his Birthday present. A laptop which cost a bit more than I would have liked but it's done now.

DH says no more spending but he would say that. But DS1 has nothing to open on the day. sad
What small things could I get to wrap?

monikar Sun 23-Jun-13 19:21:24

We used to leave the party kids downstairs with the food and drink out on the table and they would help themselves in between watching DVDs and playing xbox. They were very very loud.

I only came downstairs to open the door to parents arriving to collect as then I was only embarrassing for the minimum amount of time.

Just a thought - if DS and his mates are at the lynx stage, I would open all the windows in good time before they arrive.

Sparklingbrook Sun 23-Jun-13 19:51:38

And if they aren't wearing Lynx open the windows even wider. grin

I think it may be the day to do my long awaited wardrobe spring clean or tidy the loft. grin

DeathByTray Sun 23-Jun-13 20:10:08

Essence of Teenage Boy in either Lynx or Raging Hormone aroma.

Guaranteed to knock you off your feet. grin

monikar Sun 23-Jun-13 20:41:40

I have had a car full of teenage boys and the lynx aroma has been so powerful that I have had to open the window (in the depths of winter) as I could hardly breathe!

The lynx phase does pass - DD's (17) male friends have now graduated onto more sophisticated fragrances. It smells a lot better but they still put it on, shall we say, liberally. grin

DeathByTray Sun 23-Jun-13 20:43:34

The Lynx phase was a failed substitute for washing in this house.

bigTillyMint Sun 23-Jun-13 20:46:19

I have moved DS onto roll-onswink

invicta Sun 23-Jun-13 20:47:34

Love the 14 presents idea.

Books - My son loves sports autobiographies (Chris Hoy, Andy Murray etc),

Cd - favorite artist

Itune voucher

DVD - which they could watch on saturday

chocoluvva Mon 24-Jun-13 15:11:03

Sorry, I know this isn't any help but I'm grin at "DS1 is not a natural host and some of the lads are quite full on IKYWIM".

I do believe I know exactly what you mean on both counts!

Little pressie ideas - probably wrong, obviously, but just in case - novelty playing cards, (there's a craze for poker wif the yooh round here), novelty/comedy sunglasses, silly socks, stuff for his get-together: fancy balloons, water bombs if your nerves the weather permits, squirty foam etc, chocolate roulette game, bag of popping corn so they can make their own pop-corn, Coca-Cola with his name on if they do one.

Voucher for Subway - so you don't have to go too!

Sparklingbrook Mon 24-Jun-13 17:58:29

Great ideas. Thank you! Getting stuff for him to do with his mates is a genius idea. And not too ££££s. Also books, he could do with some new ones.

re the 'not a natural host' choco he would go in the kitchen and get himself a drink and not ask his mates if they wanted one. He is that bad.hmm

chocoluvva Mon 24-Jun-13 19:57:56

That's EXACTLY what I was thinking of - my (14) DS does that too!

And he answers on behalf of his friends eg, "Would you like something to eat boys?" DS, "No, I'm fine" - then his mates don't feel they can say, "But I would".

Sparklingbrook Mon 24-Jun-13 20:02:46

Yes he does that too choco. So antisocial. Saturday should be a hoot. hmm

monikar Mon 24-Jun-13 20:09:28

This will stop when he has girls to impress. When DD was 14/15 she would go to friends' houses in a mixed group and come back and drink a pint of water down in one go when she got back. I would say 'didn't you have a drink there?', and she would say ' no-one asked me if I wanted one'. Now she is 17 and at a mixed gathering the boys are a lot 'smoother' in their hostly duties, so it will pass.

chocoluvva Mon 24-Jun-13 20:15:23

That's encouraging moniker.

Don't worry Sparklingbrook I'm sure they'll all have a lovely time. One of the 'extrovert' ones will help to jolly it all along if need be, in my experience.

Sparklingbrook Mon 24-Jun-13 20:27:17

I would love that to be the case monikar.

The organising of getting 5 boys over here on Saturday is proving to be a good test for Ds1 at the moment. So far they have our address. Great.

chocoluvva Mon 24-Jun-13 20:54:56

Ah - several hundreds texts later.......?!

I'm back on this thread feeling guilty as my 14YO has just come in with his pal (a boy grin) and spontaneously offered him a choice of drinks. Also, suggested he might like to try a little of the drink first in case he didn't like it shock

Maybe you won't have to wait until your DS is 17 after all [hopeful face]

Not a stealth boast, honestly - my DS is 3 months older than yours.

Seriously though, you might need to quietly phone some of the parents....

Sparklingbrook Thu 27-Jun-13 10:53:15

Right for snacks-I have bought

1 3 Litre bottle of Fanta
1 3 litre bottle of Coke
18 bags of Walkers
3 large bags of Kettle Crisps
2 tubes of Pringles
2 boxes Marshmallow Teacakes
3 Large Bags of Haribo
1 bag Smarties cookies
1 Bag Rolo Cookies

What have I missed?

FeegleFion Thu 27-Jun-13 11:09:13

14 gifts is a brilliant idea!

What about looking on wowcher or KGB deals to see if there's something fun for pennies.

I bought a friend a voucher for paint balling for 10 people for about £15. It included lunch.

I know that might not be feasible in terms of getting them all to the venue if it's quite a distance but if it's not too far from where you live they could arrange to make their own way or have parents drop them/ pick them up. Just a suggestion.

monikar Thu 27-Jun-13 11:10:36

That's plenty of snacks, I don't think you have missed anything. I will be very surprised if there is any of it left though - boys eat a lot don't they!

If I were you I might get one more 3 litre bottle of fizzy, as you have 6 litres at the moment and that is 'only' 1 litre each. When DD has had parties, I am always astonished at how much coke and lemonade they can guzzle down and you have them for a whole day. Also crisps can make them thirsty.

Sparklingbrook Thu 27-Jun-13 11:13:27

Thanks Feegle I may look into an activity in case they get bored. I could pack them off to the driving range. That paintballing deal was a bargain.

monikar Morrisons are doing 8 cans of Coke for £2.10 at the moment I may go and get some of that?

chocoluvva Thu 27-Jun-13 11:21:42

I'm sure you haven't missed anything. Although popcorn is also very popular.

milkymocha Thu 27-Jun-13 11:21:54

I would order them some pizzas!

monikar Thu 27-Jun-13 11:22:19

That's a good idea. I honestly think that whatever you put out to eat, they will eat it. Sausage rolls (I buy them not make them) are always popular if you are looking for anything else, but I think you have plenty.

How many pizzas do you think you will need to cook? grin

Sparklingbrook Thu 27-Jun-13 11:25:37

Well. re the Pizzas our friendly local non chain Pizza place does individual pizzas for £3 each so they can each have exactly what they want with Garlic Bread etc.

Might get some Popcorn choco. We have a popcorn Maker but it's not as good as the shop bought stuff. grin

Sparklingbrook Thu 27-Jun-13 11:28:33

Oh, the Pizzas will be around 6pm so just need to make sure they don't starve before then. grin

monikar Thu 27-Jun-13 11:31:55

Or afterwards! [grin}

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now