would you let your 14yr old have a bb gun?

(37 Posts)
toffeebunny Sun 16-Jun-13 19:34:38

My 14 yr old son is pestering me for a bb gun...again. He did this a couple of years ago and I adamantly said no once I'd researched it a bit. It was easier then, he was 12, a bit all over the place and not very sensible. He's now much more mature, aware of the risks and is telling me he feels very left out because all his friends have one. He told me recently when he goes to their homes sometimes they have bb wars in the garden or woods and he borrows a gun. I've told him I will research it a bit more and talk to other parents. I'm confused totally about the whole thing. He's my youngest child and my older son never had an interest so this hasn't arisen before. Some of these friends who have guns have the most sensible and careful parents. Am I being over anxious? He doesn't want a really expensive one...about £30 or so with a power of 300 FPS. He says the lower ones of 150 are not worth having. Any thoughts???

WorrySighWorrySigh Sat 06-Jul-13 15:29:14

Our local gun club accepts members at any age. The emphasis is on accuracy at various distances. There is no sense of a gung ho, shoot em up. All very sober and responsible.

allmycats Sat 06-Jul-13 11:53:25

Take him to a gun club, there is no reason at all for BB guns to be used outside of organised activities. People have been shot by the police for having guns that look real, and with very good reason.

WorrySighWorrySigh Sat 06-Jul-13 11:48:56

DS shoots at Army Cadets and I have also taken him to a gun club. I am totally happy with this as there is huge emphasis on safety and maintenance.

Problem with BB guns is not just your own DC but there is always the unknown quantity of the other guy or the random third party. Your DC may be totally reliable and safe, the other guy may be a pillock. The random third party might accidentally get in the way or call the Police in the belief that they are shooting at him.

One of the kids in DS1's school bought a BB gun to school recently, and got expelled. I wouldn't let DS1 have one under any circumstances. I just don't see why he could possibly need one.

valiumredhead Thu 04-Jul-13 15:44:47

If we had a massive garden/land it would be different and Dh could supervise him-but we haven't so that's that.

DiaryOfAWimpyMum Thu 04-Jul-13 15:41:34

No, mine have stopped asking and thankfully the local shop which sold them has closed down

valiumredhead Thu 04-Jul-13 15:37:55

Ds is 12 and is desperate for onehmm

I've told him he can join a gun club when he's old enough. Ironically he had a go at a local country fair and the bloke said he was a really good aim. Greathmm

lljkk Sat 22-Jun-13 09:41:13

DS is 13 & desperately wants one.
I took him to shooting sessions in sports halls for yrs (too old now, but I am glad he's in scouts so will get more chances).
If we had a relative who was into recreational shooting I would let DS go with him.
I asked local gun club but they don't allow junior members on their own.
When questioned long enough DS admits he just wants the BB gun to scare other people hmm.
so I'm not against it always in principle, but my DS, in my circumstances, No Way.

watchingout Thu 20-Jun-13 21:19:25

My DSS has brought one into our house. FWIW they have to be painted bright orange in the UK to minimise them being mistaken hysterically for handguns/ machine-guns. He's 13 and bought it himself mail order blush

chocoluvva Thu 20-Jun-13 12:34:22

The benefits don't outweigh the risks IMO, so I wouldn't let my or any 14YO DS get one. Sounds like an accident waiting to happen.

Solo Thu 20-Jun-13 11:54:48

No, I would not let my 14yo Ds have any kind of gun.

Turniptwirl Wed 19-Jun-13 23:27:16

I disagree with BB guns altogether to be honest.

daisydoodoo Wed 19-Jun-13 09:50:46

ds2 is 11 and has bb gun, but he's very sensible with it and he only uses it for target practice in our garden. When he's not using it it I hidden by me in my bedroom in a different place each time.

ds2 is already well versed in the safety procedures around guns as goes clay pigeon shooting with his grandfather each week at a registered club.

ds1 who is 15 on the other hand I wouldn't allow him to have a bb gun as he's not sensible enough. I wouldn't trust ds1 with a nerf gun let alone something that fires pellets/balls.

tuttifrootie Tue 18-Jun-13 18:45:17

Forgot to add, I did show him a picture (google) of a poor little lad whose brother accidentally shot him. He was all wired up in ITC and sadly died but I made them both look at it and it was the following day we threw the gun out so I think it may have got the message over.

tuttifrootie Tue 18-Jun-13 18:42:52

I understand your feelings - we have always been very against them but when he was 15, our son just went out and got himself one anyway (got an older mate to get it for him). I am against guns anyway but bb guns scare the wits out of me as so many kids don't realise the danger and treat them as toys.

We felt we were powerless once it was in the house and he'd bought it with his own money but tried to enforce some restrictions as we also have a younger son to protect.

So, after a few months of worry and constant aggro caused by him not sticking to our rules we caught him messing around with it in the presence of younger ds and next time he was out, we just got rid of it.

I really thought he would go mental but funnily enough, he never mentioned it!

No. No way.

cq Tue 18-Jun-13 17:30:34

No way. But I am fighting a losing battle in this family - BIL bought DS (14) an air rifle for Christmas without even consulting me first.

That's the same BIL who gave him Call of Duty pc game (rated 18) when he was 10. Again, without even thinking to check if I was ok with it. Arse. angry

So muggins here always looks like the big bad parent who takes toys away.

toffeebunny Tue 18-Jun-13 17:25:36

we are in a quiet part of Kent, very peaceful and little crime. My son was horrified when I told him it was against the law to be shooting in the woods...even though it was woodland that bordered his friends garden and he knows not to do that again. His friends parents had gone out and left the boys to their own devices.

SlowlorisIncognito Tue 18-Jun-13 01:07:43

It would help if you said where you live. In the UK I know of someone who got a fire-arms offence on his record due to misuse of a BB gun. I think, even if you live somewhere fairly gun friendly, if they caused damage to someone else's property then they may well get into serious trouble.

toffeebunny Mon 17-Jun-13 23:25:21

I appreciate all your comments...i have talked to my son and we have researched injuries caused by these guns and he is thankfully going off the idea a bit...although says he has always worn goggles and protective face mask when he has used them at his friends. The issue of shooting at animals would never have arisen with him fortunately...and I am asking the question confuseddd as this is a genuine issue on which opinion varies and I am looking for advice...

waikikamookau Mon 17-Jun-13 07:42:01

no, my neighbour was shooting at our rabbits and guineapigs from his bedroom window.

NewFerry Mon 17-Jun-13 07:31:49

Another no here
DS friend had one and stupidly took it into school. DS came home with 2 very nasty bruises on his legs
And friend rightly got suspended

If they want to run round the wood shooting, take them to a local paint balling centre. We can use tesco club card vouchers at our local one so its very cheap

nooka Mon 17-Jun-13 03:26:47

Sorry, didn't actually answer the question blush. I have a 14 year old ds, and no I would not let him buy a bb gun, although I am happy for him to learn to shoot with a trusted adult (Although it's dd who is more interested).

nooka Mon 17-Jun-13 03:23:08

You can do a surprising amount of damage with a bb gun (kill small animals, smash windows etc.) and if your son's friends are using them for playing 'wars' then it sounds highly irresponsible to me. Where I live now (semi rural Canada) lots of families hunt and many children learn to shoot, but it's taken very seriously. My children have both done a bit of target practice, formally and informally and they are absolutely and always told that they should never ever point a gun at someone. People can and do get hurt. At the very least those children should be wearing eye protection.

If kids want to shoot at each other there are plenty of toy products on the market (NERF guns are very popular here) where there is much less risk of injury.

ripsishere Mon 17-Jun-13 02:44:25

Not a chance. My mum has one to get the pigeons and herons in her garden, but boys having a 'war' with them? not a chance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now