Swimwear and Teenage Daughter

(27 Posts)
FrauMoose Thu 13-Jun-13 11:29:14

Has anyone else had the experience of a teenage daughter getting quite distressed about being asked to get something to wear for a holiday in a warm country where there will be opportunities to swim?

I've just had this with my own daughter. I think she is just quite reluctant at the amount of physical exposure even wearing a one-piece swimsuit will involve. Have had a conversation and come to an agreement. (She's not anorexic, bulimic, self-harming etc. And it's not like puberty has only just happened.) It's more a strong sense of shyness, privacy, self-consciousness, in her case...

specialsubject Thu 13-Jun-13 21:24:32

rash vest and board shorts. no sunburn, no slipping. looks good too.

specialsubject Thu 13-Jun-13 21:32:05

ps rash vest keeps the sun off, unlike a t-shirt, and dries very quickly - bit sweaty for walking though. Good on your daughter - most teens want to sunbathe all the time and will look like leather handbags by the time they are 30.

suggestion for a mixed walking/beach day - take a sarong. When it is swim time, she changes under the sarong from walking shorts and top to boardies and rash vest, no swimwear underneath. This is because swimwear stays damp for ages and will chafe if she is hiking again.

not a white rashie as they are quite transparent. Patterns hide all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now