Oh god, prom after parties ,alcohol, um Help!!

(42 Posts)
januaryjojo Wed 08-May-13 21:12:48

My DD (16) has just announced she has been invited to a prom after party.

Starts at midnight, till 6AM!!

Oh and can she have alcohol too?!?!

Um um um um, she's my eldest, um, help!!!! confused

mrslaughan Wed 08-May-13 21:22:59

Hmmm - well I know what would have been going on at this sort if party when I was 16..... Can't imagine if has changed!

Theas18 Wed 08-May-13 22:12:57

Find out lots more about it. Who /where/what adult supervision etc. My strategy when they have asked for things I'm really not keen on is to ask them to put a case to me as to why they think it's a good idea and how they can stay safe in take environment.

Admittedly we haven't had anything as big/out of the blue as this as the proms here aren't till upper 6th but the time I really thought DD1 could go to an event and DS should not(2.5yrs younger at and that time much less streetwise and less " joined at the hip" with his mates) I sucked my teeth, got all the info and said " I'm really not sure what to say, I'm very worried about you staying safe" and after about a week , without any shouting/stampig on either side, he decided that maybe he'd be better not going.

If she's used to looking out for herself, maybe handling alcohol at faily "dos" etc and the kids are actually known to you AND you speak to the adults and believe them when they say they'll be there then maybe, but I might even ask directly if she's planning to have sex- and if not what she will do when the inevitable pairing off etc happens- that might just shock her!

januaryjojo Thu 09-May-13 08:19:37

Well I asked for a parents land line number and she's now stropping!

Joy joy

Hermionewastherealhero Thu 09-May-13 08:37:36

As a teacher I hear a lot about these after prom parties. I always warn the students to be safe... In all areas!
I would be very upfront with her about the fact people will be pairing off and things can get out of hand, and that some students will look on this as an opportunity to have sex.
The alcohol would also be my worry, we talk to the students lots about those who drink too much before prom and then miss out as they are too drink to enjoy it. So have a good chat about the dangers of drinking too much and not having full control.
The parties are a massive event at our school but I know parents attend too- more worrying when the students simply arrange a meet up ok a field after prom - make sure she isn't doing that!

Theas18 Thu 09-May-13 09:15:41

januaryjojo that might just be a deal breaker for me. If she isn't willing to share even basic info so you can make sure she's safe then I would be really reluctant to let her go (then again she's 16, what are you going to stop her if she doesn't agree... tricky?)

januaryjojo Thu 09-May-13 09:18:50

She has handed me a "flyer"type invite with the address on and the lads mobile number, no parent contact details.

I am seriously wondering about going down there myself today or tomorrow, is that a step too far?

I w going to suggest a compromise of letting her go till 2 or 3 then picking her up, but not got that far, what with the stropping hmm

januaryjojo Thu 09-May-13 09:19:32

Well she lives in my house, my rules or leave!

specialsubject Thu 09-May-13 12:40:25

I wonder if the parents of the 'lad' know what is planned?

Deal breaker for me too. Unless she will give out basic parent info you have no idea of how this party really is being arranged.

januaryjojo Thu 09-May-13 22:15:58

Well after being a moody horrible cow all afternoon, she barges into my bedroom at 9.15pm, and says I want to talk to you, I told her to get out, don't want to know.

As far as I'm concerned she's buggered it up by acting like an overgrown two year old.

Anyway she continues to say no I want to talk to you, I tell her agin to get out of my room, she starts going on about how she is going to get the lad to get his mum to talk to me!

I say again get out of my room too late.

She strops off to her dad, comes back and turns the water works on, with the fine I'm not going to prom then.

Whatever says I and off she strops again.

I officially hate teenagers.

I wouldn't have shut her out if she was ready to talk. Teens haven't always learned the skills of climbing down gracefully and it was a chance for the situation to calm down.

They are tricky creatures though!

DameFanny Thu 09-May-13 22:24:07

So she tried to talk, then said she was getting you the contact you asked for, and you said "whatever"?

And you think she's too stroppy?

MonkeyingAroundTown Thu 09-May-13 22:30:08

I wouldn't allow it for a teenager of 16 to go to an after prom party. Sounds like a sleepover to me which if it includes alcohol then there will surely be sexual antics going on

Playerpleeeese Thu 09-May-13 22:32:59

Hmmmmm I'm gona go against the grain here. I left sch

Playerpleeeese Thu 09-May-13 22:35:22

Sorry posted too soon!

I left school 8 years ago, everyone had one of these party's. IMO they are not as bad as people think, maybe just let her go, seems as it's a special occasion?

Why don't you want her to go?

Slambang Thu 09-May-13 22:37:56

OOh harsh january. Did you really not want her to have a 'talk'?

My ds (16) has just sprung exactly the same thing on me too.
DS: Before the prom we're all meeting at X'x house and going together. Then after the prom we'remuttermutterpartymutter.
Me: Sorry - you're what?
DS: Muttermutterpartymumble. What's for tea?
Me: shock

Apparently some deeply misguided parents have agreed to allow ds's friend that I've never heard of to hold a party in their garden. (Pity the poor neighbours).

I've agreed ds can go if he sticks with and comes home with sensible friend but it hadn't crossed my mind the whole thing would go on til 6 am. shock

Oh god and the alcohol...
and the sex...

Oh I should have asked far more questions. Bloody hell parenting is a moral minefield.

mindfulmum Fri 10-May-13 00:33:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

I think you're being quite unfair. She's 16, its her prom party, with kids of her age, at no address you know.

The thing with providing the parents details is that she probably doesn't have them and therefore will have to ask the boy which is all very embarrassing at that age plus it will probably lead to her having to explain my mum wants it/mum says no etc which will just become even more humiliating. The idea of doing something that embarrassing at that age is such a big deal.

Are the parents even going to be there? Don't most people go out when their DC have parties?

She's 16, so she's probably had a drink before and can be trusted to drink reasonably responsibly or does she get wrecked? I'd say its fine to drink but you don't want her coming home in a state or there will be x consequence.

Have you arranged contraception with her? What does she normally do in these situations, at 16 you don't generally need the oportunity or excuse of a party to have sex. You just need to reiterate the safe sex and not being coerced chat and I'd probably say that if she feel uncomfortable at any time she can call me and I will come and get her.

The only issue I would have is how would she be getting home at 6:00am, I wouldn't be that into driving out at that time, are they going to stay over and then go home later, what happens if it peters out or they want to leave earlier, say 4:00 when there isnt public transport, there would need to be a plan. Plus if I was feeling a bit stressed I might say she needs to text me at regular intervals.

Work out what is your worst case scenario and think about what specifically could stop it. What is it that you are most worried about?

januaryjojo Fri 10-May-13 08:17:31

I have never heard of this boy, ever.

He is not even on her FB friends list!

I do not know if the parents are going to be there, I know nothing and when I ask for more information, instead of acting the grown up she thinks she is, she throws her weight around like a stroppy two year old.
Screaming and shouting and demanding things and attempting emotional blackmail.

And no I wasn't prepared to talk to her when I was in bed last night, I'd had an entire evening of her stropping and slamming around the house and generally being a bitch to everyone.
I'd had enough of it and gone to bed.

Why should I reward her bad behaviour with my attention?

Generally in my experience if you want something, you at least be nice to the person you are asking.

shelli135 Fri 10-May-13 08:27:33

At least she has asked you and told you where she will be and therefore you know where she will be.

When I was 16 I told my mum I was 'sleeping at Amy's house' , because i wasn't allowed to any parties. Really I was going into town, clubbing and house party's. if you don't let her go she will probs go behind your back and do it any way. It's what most teenagers do, bar a few.

Fair enough the stroppy behaviour isn't acceptable, but she probably feels her whole social life will be ruined by not going.

Let things calm down and do what you feel is best.

thepig Fri 10-May-13 08:38:06

Do people really mollycoddle their kids this much these days?

She's 16 ffs, it's a special party not a weekly occurence.

Honestly if you've brought her up well you'll have nothing to worry about. And you'll probably find she won't even stay til 6...but if she does so what it's a one off.

Agree with thepig
I'm really surprised this has taken you unawares? The after party is part of the prom and usually an all nighter.
At 16 I would also have expected the subject of parties and alcohol to come up before?
This is why I think it's worth talking lots about alcohol and allowing sensible amounts around this age. She has to learn how to deal with social situations where there is peer pressure to drink too much and she can't learn if she is never allowed to go.
The tantrum is a shame but to be fair I expect everyone else will be going.
We live in a rural area and the parent who "hosts" the after prom party is usually fully aware of what they are in for. Last year DS1 went to his in the next village. About 100 teenagers were picked up by parents from the prom and dropped off at the party. They were collected (or walked miles) next morning.

Remotecontrolduck Fri 10-May-13 19:46:59

Oh you have to let her go, seriously most people will be going.

She's 16, this is huge. She'll probably have had a drink before anyway, and having one or two at an after-prom party is no big deal.

I honestly doubt VERY much it will turn into a massive orgy and everyone will be passing out drunk. They'll probably have a couple of beers and a laugh together.

Tell her you trust that she'll be careful, and let her go. Also if her or a friend get into trouble you're prepared to come pick them up. The worst thing you can do is make her need to hide stuff as she thinks you'll be angry.

MonkeyingAroundTown Fri 10-May-13 22:37:55

Am I the only one on here who thinks this is a bad idea to let her go? Sounds like she is lying to you about where this party is. I remember lying to my parents asking if I could stay over at a friends house after my school leaving do (didn't have prom then) but in fact I was wanting to go hang out with the lads and girls from school at one of the lads houses and stay over there instead. I was intending on drinking alcohol and having sex. I was 15 nearly 16. Anyway my parents were sensible enough to see right through my lies and refused me permission to go. I had to come straight home after wards. Yeah I remember feeling gutted at the time and that I was missing out but I got over it. It wasn't the end of the world. IMO parents allow their children far too much freedom nowadays.

When you were young would you have been allowed to stay at a party until six am at 16? Yeah its a special occasion as its prom. But the prom is the celebration isn't it!? So she wont be missing out on celebrating that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now