Should we take this boy in?

(124 Posts)
CoolStoryBro Sat 04-May-13 15:21:20

Hi. My 16 year old's son's friend is having a really tough time. Both of his parents have died and he's been staying with a relative. Naturally, the poor kid is pretty messed up and it hasn't been a smooth transition. It's all culminated in his relative saying he has to leave.

Ds has asked if he stay with us "for a while". I was just wondering if anyone had any experience of this. Did it work? I have 3 other younger children, so I am worried about the impact on them too.

Obviously my heart says reach out to this boy and we have plenty of room and can offer him some stability while he sorts himself out, but my head is saying, "Eeek!"

Any advice gratefully received.

NorbertDentressangle Sat 15-Nov-14 12:47:46

I didn't see the start of this thread when it happened but I've just read through now as it popped up in Active Convos and had to say what a lovely, heart-warming story.

You sound like an amazing family and have enabled this lad to be part of it, giving him stability, love and support.

flowers smile

notanevilstepmother Sat 15-Nov-14 12:34:08

Lovely story :-) So nice to hear good news.

Wordsmith Sat 15-Nov-14 12:09:18

What an inspiring story. Teenage boys are no picnic, but what you have selflessly done has changed his life for the better. As Hillary Clinton said, "it takes a village to raise a child".

oddsocksmostly Tue 11-Nov-14 20:36:08

Cool I hadn't read your original thread, but if something happened to me, I really wish that there would be a person like you that would step up for my teen. You have been an anchor, a safe place for that young man, and I hope you have many good family memories, now and in the future X

Sweetmotherfudger Tue 11-Nov-14 15:32:56

Wow. You sound amazing. His parents would be so pleased to know you've given him a stable upbringing.

DoughnutSelfie Tue 11-Nov-14 15:22:20

Big round of applause

Bloody well done <manly clap to shoulder>

AnyFucker Tue 11-Nov-14 09:57:07

Well. This is one of the few threads that has reduced me to tears..Bloody well done thanks

CarmelasFridge Tue 11-Nov-14 09:31:50

How bloody lovely. You're all brilliant.

muphys Tue 11-Nov-14 08:57:54

This has to be one of the nicest posts that I have ever read.

rollonthesummer Mon 10-Nov-14 00:08:03

This made me cry. Well done to him, his parents and you smile

DishwasherDogs Sun 09-Nov-14 23:58:33

This is lovely smile
I remember reading this last year and hoped it would work out.
Well done for giving him the chance thanks

CoolStoryBro Sun 09-Nov-14 23:47:05

Thanks again for all the lovely comments. It does make me feel slightly fraudulent as the true credit should go to Extra Son's actual parents. He spent the first 15 1/2 years of his life being brought up by parents who did a brilliant job. We were just lucky enough to help him to cross the proverbial finishing line. x

Coconutty Sun 09-Nov-14 21:53:06

Congratulations to you all, that's great.

Snapespotions Sun 09-Nov-14 21:49:41

Congratulations OP - what a heartwarming story! Good for you and your amazing family, including your very brave "extra son".

Tomuchtosay Sun 09-Nov-14 21:26:45

What a wonderful person you are and your family is lovely. Such a heart warming story. Congratulation to your 'extra son' flowers

Littlefish Sun 09-Nov-14 20:40:07

Cool - I'm really glad they have managed to maintain a relationship. I'm sure there were times when that was stressful for all of you.

LaPetiteCoccinelle Sun 09-Nov-14 19:29:39

Another reader with tears in her eyes. What a fantastic thing you did for this young boy and how great you ve given him another chance. Poor lad losing his parents but lucky lad finding you!

financialwizard Sun 09-Nov-14 19:20:35

You truly are an amazing person, and I am so pleased that your extra son has flourished in your care.

I am sure you will be duly rewarded over time.

Adarajames Sun 09-Nov-14 18:53:06

How fab! Well done all of you, what a wonderful thing you've done and are doing for him smile
It's great when reporting if zombie thread is an update from op, even more so when it's such a great update, often wonder if things turn out ok when threads are never again updated from the original situation

flowerswine for you

Lucy61 Sun 09-Nov-14 18:42:00

The best thread I have read on mumsnet! Brought a tear to my eye, twice. Once when you took him in and once when he got a place at uni!

You sound like a wonderful family. Your children are getting a great lesson in kindness and family values. I hope lots of lovely things happen to you and your children. smilesmilesmile

CoolStoryBro Sun 09-Nov-14 18:26:53

Littlefish he has dinner with her at least once a week. It works for them.

msrisotto Sun 09-Nov-14 18:20:10

I've only just seen this thread - HUGE congratulations to you OP and your 'extra son'! You are an amazing family to have taken this challenge on, I am full of admiration smile

Selks Sun 09-Nov-14 18:17:10

This is such a heartwarming thread! Very well done OP for giving this lad such a chance, and well done to the lad himself!

Fantastic! thanks

Good luck to your son, too.

bigTillyMint Sun 09-Nov-14 18:06:16

What a heart-warming thread.
Well done OP - you have done something truly fantastic for this boysmile

Leeds2 Sun 09-Nov-14 18:05:00

Wow! Congratulations to him, and Good Luck with his future studies. Hope your DS gets the offer he wants too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now