Teenage slang translation thread

(304 Posts)

This is what I have learned this evening...

Beast = very good.
Peak = rubbish, unfair.

If anyone can add anything else, please do, in the interests of helping me understand what my son is saying to me. grin

1stworldproblemss Fri 10-Jun-16 14:06:06

It's hardly a zombie thread is it! 😂 It's going to be relevant through all times and even though t was started in 2013 it's still be going for 2/3 years. The last post before today was only 3 days ago.

Sotaku Fri 10-Jun-16 13:41:20

I think we all realise it's an old thread but the conversation is still valid because it's about slang so I can't see why the thread can't continue.

KickAssAngel Fri 10-Jun-16 03:16:00

Sotaku Fri 10-Jun-16 02:18:01

I've only skimmed this thread but it always makes me smile when DC start with some slang that's in at the time since so much of it is based on Jamaican patois and my parents are Jamaican and I lived there for a few years as a child. So, DC are often using slang I've known my whole life, e.g. creps, batty (not the same as the derogatory battyman as someone thought unthread), man dem, from time, wah gwaan, bredrin, etc. Plus, they often have throw backs to slang everyone used in my teens. DC are now more surprised when I don't already know their slang, for instance DD2 recently said her friend was trying to ship some other friends. Apparently, it means trying to get someone into a relationship.

heron98 Tue 07-Jun-16 15:15:58

Ha, we used to say "butters" too back in the 90s. I had totally forgotten about that.

MarlseeMarls Tue 07-Jun-16 11:22:30

Chirping- meaning chatting up or flirting with

Diamogs Thu 12-May-16 22:22:39

None mentioned goals yet? Usually with a hash tag prefix friendship goals, relationship goals, squad goals etc.

And lots of AF (as fuck) suffixes. Mad AF, crazy AF

chocolateworshipper Thu 12-May-16 21:14:17

I forgot "squad" = group of friends. But never, ever "a squad" or "the squad" or "my squad" - only "squad"

Beef = argument/fight as in 'beefy party last night' or 'lots of beef at school today.'
I quite like using the abbreviated ones - obvs, hilarious, gorge and cray-cray. At 50 maybe I shouldn't... But at 50 I don't really care what people think.. smile

dementedma Thu 12-May-16 20:19:31

Ooh, breaking news! Apparently only girls says "fleek" here in Scotland

dementedma Thu 12-May-16 20:18:31

Tank is apparently the brother of KSI, which is itself a clantag for a particular tuber. So there!
According to Ds.
He also says "How do you like them apples?" which makes me laugh

chocolateworshipper Thu 12-May-16 20:13:24

oh and "boyed" = ignored

chocolateworshipper Thu 12-May-16 20:12:34

fleek / on peak = perfect
G = mate
bare = very
rip = rest in peace (but rip is said as if it is a word rather than an acronym)
you're jokes = you are funny

GeorgeTheThird Wed 11-May-16 15:50:02

Hmmm. I'm really not liking gash meaning girlfriend.

cheval Tue 10-May-16 17:03:52

Remember years ago calling someone batty (as in a bit eccentric). Kids were perplexed. According to their Jafaikan vocabulary, it meant gay.
Another time, they were hurling insults at each other while I was on the phone, calling each other gay. Person I was talking to is actually gay. I was furious with them. But apparently gay seems to have changed meaning (yet again) to infer feebleness. Or something like that. Can't keep up.

Ticktacktock Fri 29-Apr-16 14:31:27

I hate the teenage slang dd comes out with. I remember my teenage slang still. Stupid pointless and immature.

However, it has to be done. I try to just ignore it, she'll get over it. I dare say your ds will too.

rosieglows Fri 29-Apr-16 10:40:08

Hi, I am wondering about different experiences of correcting this in teenage boys and whether this is a terrible idea. I have a lovely nearly 13 year old boy at a local extremely caring and racially mixed school. He has started to do the Jamaican patois thing , not so much at home but it's creeping in. There can be an aggressive edge to it and it comes out when he's cross. We have standard rp speak at home. I don't mind him talking like this with friends, I know we all need different language, but just can't quite near the aggressiveness that can come out with it at home. I have commented on it, and wonder about how annoying I should be about it (don't want to pick too many fights when he's struggling to find himself in a new school and new world)...., any advice welcome !

Xeber123 Sun 14-Jun-15 12:30:25

buffers=attractive and not attractive at the same time
Bare=a lot
Hench=muscular and attractive

Elllouise Mon 01-Jun-15 23:26:43

Tank is a bit like beast so they would say "yeah he's a tank" which is like he's a legend

myotherusernameisbetter Tue 23-Sep-14 10:20:33

I am prepared to be wrong though - we have succesfully managed to avoid too much slang (in front of me anyway) so far. grin

I have heard the occasional "that's beast!" and that's about that. Younger DS does say a sarcastic "lol" from time to time when someone me says something that they think is funny and he clearly doesn't agree.

myotherusernameisbetter Tue 23-Sep-14 10:17:35

Bee does he mean LOL - as is Laugh at Loud - i.e. that's funny.

I think the latter means "I am going to have sex with that girl" but probably means anything that they are about to do succesfully. As in, when going to do a particularly good skate move or similar.

Bee161618 Tue 23-Sep-14 09:41:49

My eldest son uses the word 'lul' anyone know what this is? He constantly says it about everythuing! I'm baffled!

I've also heard 'im going to bang this birdie' what could this mean?

bigTillyMint Thu 08-May-14 07:23:48

DS uses "creps" in an ironic/sarcastic way to DH about his shoessmile

snot grin

SnotandBothered Tue 06-May-14 21:19:10

honeybee if I could 'like' your post, I would grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now