Teenage slang translation thread

(285 Posts)

This is what I have learned this evening...

Beast = very good.
Peak = rubbish, unfair.

If anyone can add anything else, please do, in the interests of helping me understand what my son is saying to me. grin

myotherusernameisbetter Tue 23-Sep-14 10:20:33

I am prepared to be wrong though - we have succesfully managed to avoid too much slang (in front of me anyway) so far. grin

I have heard the occasional "that's beast!" and that's about that. Younger DS does say a sarcastic "lol" from time to time when someone me says something that they think is funny and he clearly doesn't agree.

myotherusernameisbetter Tue 23-Sep-14 10:17:35

Bee does he mean LOL - as is Laugh at Loud - i.e. that's funny.

I think the latter means "I am going to have sex with that girl" but probably means anything that they are about to do succesfully. As in, when going to do a particularly good skate move or similar.

Bee161618 Tue 23-Sep-14 09:41:49

My eldest son uses the word 'lul' anyone know what this is? He constantly says it about everythuing! I'm baffled!

I've also heard 'im going to bang this birdie' what could this mean?

bigTillyMint Thu 08-May-14 07:23:48

DS uses "creps" in an ironic/sarcastic way to DH about his shoessmile

snot grin

SnotandBothered Tue 06-May-14 21:19:10

honeybee if I could 'like' your post, I would grin

NinjaLeprechaun Mon 05-May-14 11:05:48

Without reading the whole thread - my daughter and her friends claim that "YOLO" and "swag" both mean "I'm a complete douchebag" a charming term in and of itself so, you know, opinions vary. grin

DS,16, asked me if his treads were in his crib hmm
Apparently translates to "mother, do you think my shoes are under my bed?" grin

leedsgirl231 Fri 02-May-14 15:26:25

I'll give you a list of words from an 18/yo whose friends actually talk like this
Peak - shit, unfair
Peng- hot/fit
safe- okay, good, yeah
bare- lots of
bone - have sex with
gash - girlfriend
long - boring, far, uses effort
Geezer - friend, example: "nah geezer not coming out" - mate
BORT - haha no
hype ting - good thing, on a hype, liking something
there's more, just can't think! grin

Iwillorderthefood Fri 02-May-14 11:50:49

Escaped so far, live in leafy SW London, but oldest Y3. Heard some of the older kids at it though. Lived in East London before and thought had escaped.

leadinglady Fri 02-May-14 00:53:07

Dench = muscular/ fit - (used more than hench. I think bench is more like henchman.

Blud = close friend , Beverley heard blad

If you want to learn more watch 'Younger' on E4 starts next Wednesday 7pm

SnotandBothered Wed 30-Apr-14 17:04:52

grin @ "so year eight".

My DC are year two and year four, and we live in a leafy west London 'burb, but i KNOW we have this joy to come.

So I am making sure that I remain 'brushed up' at all times

Awks Wed 30-Apr-14 15:32:30

bear = same as beast, ie very good

ThreeLannistersOneTargaryen Wed 30-Apr-14 15:31:16

I started this thread exactly a year ago, but my eldest grew out of speaking like this quite a while ago. These days he uses standard English, as Multicultural London English is "so year eight." grin

SnotandBothered Wed 30-Apr-14 10:28:48

I am bumping this because I just needed to check it for 'reference'.

And I had forgotten how brilliant it was.

So maybe there are new words - even now? Tis practically a year after all. Which is 'bare time' in teenage years grin

amy312 Sun 27-Oct-13 07:28:23

pahahahaaa omg joined just to laugh at this, so much of this is wrong, wouldn't work in the context of the situation, you can try to understand our teenage slang but the point of it is to be something adults don't understand so you'll never get it properly, sorry to disappoint

Chottie Fri 28-Jun-13 22:19:06

I wasn't allowed to use slang either (SE London) my mother sent me to elocution lessons smile

nataliesmile Tue 25-Jun-13 20:49:10

Some of these slang words have been around since I was a kid, its good to know not much has changed.

The difference is I was NEVER allowed to use slang when speaking to my mum. I could not speak to my brothers and sisters using slang when she was around or in ear shot and when relaying a conversation I may have had with friends I'd have to translate it all from slang proper English, which is a lot more difficult to do than you might think!

Ya get me blud

bigTillyMint Thu 20-Jun-13 17:15:37

Oh trunkysad

Remember "melt" as old Scouse slang

trunkybun Thu 20-Jun-13 17:12:43

Oh dear. My sons nickname at school is 'butter' he's in year 7 and thinks the fact he has a nickname means he is popular!!- pretty sure he doesn't know what it means thoughsad He has SEN

Yes to freshie! Although in my area, it's referred to people of Sri Lankan, Indian, Pakistani, Bengali etc; origin so someone from, for example, an African country, or China, South Korea, Indonesia or something wouldn't be called a freshie.

MoominMammasHandbag Thu 20-Jun-13 16:51:32

Well swagger has always been a proper word hasn't it? Same as banter.

Ihatemytoes Thu 20-Jun-13 15:25:20

Melt = coward, weakling, all mouth and trousers.

bigTillyMint Thu 20-Jun-13 13:10:20

minifingers, fob too - fresh off the boat. Used to sister when she is being a bit dense!

Minifingers Thu 20-Jun-13 12:41:24

Oh and 'cool beanz' - ie 'OK'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now