Teenage slang translation thread

(285 Posts)

This is what I have learned this evening...

Beast = very good.
Peak = rubbish, unfair.

If anyone can add anything else, please do, in the interests of helping me understand what my son is saying to me. grin

Shyandon Thu 02-May-13 16:12:09

Butters (Buttas?) is a really ugly girl...apparently...

MissBetseyTrotwood Thu 02-May-13 19:22:28

Children 'dash' things around here, meaning knock them over or throw with intent, (mostly annoyed intent.) Which I always have a little larf at as it sounds so archaic.

KingRollo Thu 02-May-13 20:01:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

dementedma Thu 02-May-13 20:43:55

please please can you all keep this slang darn sarf - it makes me shudder just to read it. the only one i recognise is dd saying that something is "proper" funny or "proper" bad.
I wouldnt allow the dcs to speak like that in the house anyway, but it sounds horrible!

ComposHat Thu 02-May-13 22:52:14

I hadn't realised that Butters was the 'yute' equivilent to what we referred to as 'bobfoc' (body off baywatch, face off crime watch or a Monet (looks good from a distance, but bloody awful close up)

ComposHat Thu 02-May-13 22:55:02

I worked with a black collegue at social services who thought the white kids were taking the piss out of him with their faux Jamaican yardie speak, but after a while he worked out it was the way they talked all the time.

MagratOfStolat Thu 02-May-13 23:05:50

OOH OOOH OOOOOOOH!!!

Someone asked upthread what Butters meant, and have had a read but can't find a proper explanation.

A "Butterface" is a shorthand of "...But her face". The phrase "...but her face" is normally prefixed by "Everything about her is very attractive...".

Essentially it means someone with a face that lets down the rest of her qualities.

thornrose Thu 02-May-13 23:26:16

It's funny because my 13yo dd's dad was Jamaican and she has lots of Jamaican family but she uses very few of these expressions. Maybe growing up around them in context used by older people removes the appeal?

bigTillyMint Fri 03-May-13 07:00:20

Magrat Butters comes from BUTT UGLY and the kids don't use it in the way you say round here - girls, (though it might be a boy), are just plain "butters"

MagratOfStolat Fri 03-May-13 08:41:40

Aww, when I was in my yoof it was always Butterface!

PoshPaula Fri 03-May-13 09:48:56

'Reem' (means good, generally acceptable, lovely)
'Hangin' (hungover)
'Reel it in' (stop making sexual overtures towards others)

I have a 20 year old.

PoshPaula Fri 03-May-13 09:50:22

Oh also, forgot a particularly awful one from a few years' back -

'Chattin' shit' (talking a lot of nonsense).

smoothieooo Fri 03-May-13 10:27:18

Oh God I got it so wrong last night when DS2 was being an arse. I told him he was 'Dench' and got a beaming smile and a 'Thanks mum'!

wonderingagain Fri 03-May-13 10:30:35

I remember being flummoxed when a new girl at school in the 80s started reeling off with full Jamaican patois - she was an ordinary white girl, I thought she was having a laugh. It turned out she came from Jamaica and had just arrived and that way of speaking was completely normal for her.

Great thread - no new words to add I'm afraid.

PoshPaula Fri 03-May-13 10:36:37

The very young are quite exclusive in their use of slang. My son was taken aback when I used the term 'lush' recently. I annoyed him further by explaining to him what it meant.

musicalLucy Fri 03-May-13 11:26:33

Bang out - two meanings: either really good at something that everyone else admires "you should see him running, he's a real bang out"; or used about nerdy people who are really good at stuff that other kids don't care about "oh him, he's a bang out..."

Mandy2003 Fri 03-May-13 12:03:50

I love "Bear sick" meaning vair naice - always makes me smile.

Deathwatchbeetle Fri 03-May-13 13:38:37

You can always tell him "Tanks" for that....

ComposHat Fri 03-May-13 14:23:44

I was listening to 'Cockney Translator' by Smiley Culture and it is interesting to hear the crossover between East London/Jamaican Patois happening as early as the mid 80s.

I think it is now recognised as a distinct dialect known as Multicultural London English.

Smiley Culture

doubleshotespresso Sat 04-May-13 15:22:12

Wow Smiley Culture, wish he was still around. He always made me smile with his lyrics....

bigTillyMint Sat 04-May-13 16:15:41

Sideman is a favourite with DS ATM...

ComposHat Sat 04-May-13 18:54:43

Yes, I really like 'Police Officer' too, the way he switches between accents in that is incredible.

doubleshotespresso Sat 04-May-13 22:02:13

Police officer my favourite! And the video is so funny even now

ComposHat Sun 05-May-13 03:14:11

oh I hadn't seen the video I had to YouTube it.

But yes...great stuff indeed.

JulesJules Wed 19-Jun-13 10:19:14

Proper Mintage = excellent, proper mint is a Geordie phrase anyway

Awesome sauce = excellent

Dench and YOLO

These are the only ones I've noticed from dd1, but she's only 11

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now