Teenage slang translation thread

(270 Posts)

This is what I have learned this evening...

Beast = very good.
Peak = rubbish, unfair.

If anyone can add anything else, please do, in the interests of helping me understand what my son is saying to me. grin

oh yes, anytime I ask ds1 to do anything he says "oh allow it mum, thats long"

AmberLeaf Wed 01-May-13 10:52:51

allow.. Loww it you aren't meant to say the whole word.

Most of these are Jamaican slang/patois.

I have seen a few of the terms mutate a bit too, Me and my son have had a few laughs at the idiots from the small town we lived in briefly, who were horribly racist to my son, but who now use these expressions on facebook [mutual friend-we have fb stalked them yes] but they use them in the totally wrong context!

AmberLeaf Wed 01-May-13 10:53:58

* My son doesn't and never has used those terms BTW.

Except Dench, but thats a gaming word and fairly new, well it started in gaming anyway.

AmberLeaf Wed 01-May-13 11:00:53

Dench, invented by Lethal Bizzle and his cousin Emmanuel Frimpong [footballer] while they were playing fifa on xbox [or something like that]

They now have a clothing line.

www.staydench.com/

But what does DENCH mean amber?

Tbh, it makes me laugh a little because ds1 goes to a predominatly white school. But even though he has had racism directed at him, comments made about how he must be a mugger with a knife because he is a black teenager, all sorts really (but that's a whole other thread), all they boys there talk like they just stepped off the plane from Jamaica.

gillywillywoo Wed 01-May-13 11:26:23

Dench = really cool, awesome, nice grin

beachyhead Wed 01-May-13 11:51:42

I'm going to test my teens when they come home!!!

GetOrfMoiLand Wed 01-May-13 11:52:18

Funny thing was Judi Dench was interviewed on Radio 1 and she posed for a picture with Greg James with a Dench hat on pic

AmberLeaf Wed 01-May-13 12:47:32

Dench doesn't actually mean any one thing, it isn't just used to describe something good either, it can mean something negative too.

Yes Judi Dench was a good sport about the whole thing apparently!

Yes Tantrums, it's ironic isn't it.

I grew up in SE London and sometimes I'll slip in without really thinking about it a random word from my yoof, that come from a hybrid of Docker slang/Gypsy slang/Jamaican slang, my children look at me like hmm and say 'MuUUm, how do you know about that?' and I have to point out that they didn't actually invent those terms, that they have just picked them up under the impression that they are new!

RussiansOnTheSpree Wed 01-May-13 13:02:31

Actually, Dench has meant shit but overrated for years. Whatever the teens are using it to mean now doesn't actually negate it's true meaning.

smoothieooo Wed 01-May-13 13:09:10

'Are you parring me?' = are you showing me disrespect?

After I found this out I used it on DS2 (13) and he couldn't believe I'd said it! I may have also called him 'Trash Man' too, just for the effect.

DS1 (14) never uses teenage slang. He was born in the wrong era I think...!

FasterStronger Wed 01-May-13 13:27:32

'Are you parring me?' sounds almost Shakespearian.

Queenbee245 Wed 01-May-13 13:39:58

KMT= kiss my teeth (not a good thing meant as a sign of disrespect)
Shook= scared
Wired= drug induced paranoia
Peak= good (his hat is peak)
Narmean = do you know what I mean?
Bless = parting word

FifiShops Wed 01-May-13 13:55:27

"Cotch" / "Cotchin" = Chilled / Relaxing

Queenbee: in our area, 'peak' has negative connotations. It usually means someone or something is unfair, harsh or ungenerous. For example, if a parent asks you do your revision before allowing you to go out, that would be bare peak.

I have heard 'tank' used to describe an admirable rugby tackle.

My son and his friends use the word 'Hesky' a lot. Similar to Dench, perhaps?

'And your face' seems to be an all-purpose reply to pretty much any comment.

PeskyRat Wed 01-May-13 14:05:16

Haha, love this thread.

Cotch I think comes from the word couch - basically just relaxing on the couch? Not sure though, hard to work out where some of these words originate!

I offer you:

Fully gassed - big headed, full of yourself.
Sheg - really messed up.
Wavey - drunk/high. Most of my son's school friends have their facebook names as 'Wavey ..............' shock.

Thanks for the YOLO
I saw a girl with YOLO all over her tights and I thought it might be VOLO and be derived from the latin verb' to want'
(feels centuries old)

piratecat Wed 01-May-13 14:11:56

Orangefooted am grin @ your
'for time'!

PeskyRat Wed 01-May-13 14:16:55

Do any of you slip into the slang yourself ?

I find I do it all the time, as a jokey way of chatting to my Ds, doesn't go down too well.

Don't try it fam blush.

PeskyRat Wed 01-May-13 14:22:38

Even the primary school children around here speak like this.

Yesterday picking up my girls:

"where you going fam?" 8 year old to friend going past.
"Home innit. Why you still at school?" replies friend.
"Don't watch that fam!!!" answers 8 year old.

FrogPrincess Wed 01-May-13 14:26:22

such a useful thread! DD never uses any of these but occasionally uses a bit of nadsat..... then again she is a rebel in her own way. Yesterday she informed me she was only using proper spelling and punctuation in all her texts (including semi-colons). DH and I do indulge in the odd bit of teenage speak just to see her roll her eyes at us.

notso Wed 01-May-13 14:33:59

I saw a girl with YOLO all over her tights and I thought it might be VOLO and be derived from the latin verb' to want'
(feels centuries old)

At least your interpretation was intelligent, I thought it was short for Yo, Hello,
DD was most unimpressed when I said to her in front of two mates,
"I got you that Yo Hello top you wanted"
Her friends nearly pissed themselves!

I am only 32!

PeskyRat Wed 01-May-13 14:43:36

In the same vibe as YOLO, my son asked me for a YMCMB bag.

Drum roll:

Young money cash money billionaire - or summat!

Queenbee245 Wed 01-May-13 14:45:42

YOLO was made famous by the rapper Drake who also gave us HYFR (hell yeah fucking right)
I have teenage dsc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now