16 year old Daughter and prom outfit - Help or advice please!!

(29 Posts)
crazypippa Tue 30-Apr-13 12:27:02

My daughter's prom is coming up soon. Now I have a daughter who is not your conventional "loves dressing up girl". She is very individual and does not like wearing dresses or make up at all. However her prom is coming up and I know, deep down she would like to go but the idea of dressing up etc is turning her off going. Can anyone advise me of any good places where, perhaphs she might be able to get something different yet (still feminine) for the prom such as a nice trouser suit All suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

mathanxiety Thu 06-Jun-13 03:54:29

DD2 brought her sparkly flats to her recent Do and had a nice comfy night. Her dress was a very plain full length style, high neck and back, gathered at the natural waist, a cross between a halter and a sort of modified pillow case dress in light pink fabric with a bit of stretch and a few sequins, bare shoulders and arms. She's big on top and hates low cut dresses because she thinks she looks like Dolly Parton.

Don't let her wear trousers.

Theas18 Sun 02-Jun-13 20:59:42

Dunno if you are an all white or mixed ethnic area - we are very mixed and there were a lot of very decorated shalwar kameez around. If my dd hadn't wanted a conventional ( maxi length) dress her mate would probably have taken her under their wing and kitted her or Bollywood stylee!

The youngest will probably go 1950s grease/ rockabilly I think.

However we just bought a dress from angel dress.co.uk for the upcoming prom.

Hitchcock1968 Wed 22-May-13 00:05:45

My daughter is the same, she doesn't really do the whole dressing up and make up thing. But we found some quirky dresses online by hell bunny and also 50's rock style dresses, which weren't normal but are totally my daughters style, she has ended up with a short 50's punk dress with a material made to look like playing cards. Although she doesn't like girly stuff, she loves this dress. With it we have a short petticoat and she designed her own converses because she doesn't wear heels smile

DD had a v plain black halter jumpsuit. She looked elegant and amazing, think it was from Oasis.

Wishiwasanheiress Wed 08-May-13 09:47:55

Rockabilly look would be fab. There's lots of vids on YouTube of dressing/hair/make up.

Wishiwasanheiress Wed 08-May-13 09:46:05

Hmmm well she could go the Lilly Allen way of dressing ; prom frock and dm boots in a patent/colour?

Or all saints? Look at the website and try to find look in other shops.

Or copy a look from a popstar? H&m do great copies of stuff. A trouser suit can look very cool. Keisha has worn a few very patterned/colourful ones recently that she looked the bomb in. H&m are doing cheaper versions.

crazypippa Wed 08-May-13 09:42:04

Many thanks Everyone for all your advice I will certainly take some on board, my daughter is a tee shirt, jeans converse girl and just does not want to stand out. She is very, very shy. I like idea of long dress and flat shoes. Here goes, will try and talk to her again.

Toomuchtea Wed 01-May-13 09:30:15

My DD wore heels until she was there, then switched to sparkly flats, having made sure she'd bought a bag big enough to take them. She said all her friends wished they'd done the same.

mrsjay Wed 01-May-13 09:03:17

dd also had a pashmina she wore with her dress she hated bare arms

mrsjay Wed 01-May-13 09:00:48

this is where my dd first got into dresses was her prom she was 18 though when she went to hers so maybe a little more confident, try prom dresses uk,(googgle it) dd got hers there and loads of different styles dd wasn't a dress girl either, also vivian of holloway has alternative dresses that are lovely,

TheWave Wed 01-May-13 07:55:32

Does she know if everyone's wearing long dresses or shortish?

Loads of short ones out there to try on but could be a wasted trip if looking for long as they mostly seem to be online.

nilbyname Tue 30-Apr-13 20:53:17

I wore a flippy black strappy dress with a cobwebby shawl and black 18 hole dr martins! I was totally "me" but totally fitted into the prom scence.

Also like the idea of a 50's style dress, could be worn with flats and any sort of up do?

dexter73 Tue 30-Apr-13 20:47:23

My dd doesn't like high heels so she has bought these to wear to her prom. She is wearing a long dress so you will hardly be able to see them.

slug Tue 30-Apr-13 16:14:46

Any ideas here? Personally I would wear converse with many of these dresses.

Nehru Tue 30-Apr-13 16:12:42

they dont have to be high heels and short skirts

some girls look really beautiful in maxi dresses and glittery sandals

Xiaoxiong Tue 30-Apr-13 16:06:52

Ok I am not 16 but I've just been re-watching Buffy. Willow always dresses in dungarees and converse but when she goes to prom she wears this: a black dress with a high neck. Conservative, classy and feminine?

Badvoc Tue 30-Apr-13 16:01:06

What about a rock a billy 1950s funky dress?

purpleroses Tue 30-Apr-13 15:55:00

Could you take her and a friend shopping together for something to wear? You could combine it with taking them out for a cake/coffee and a bit of general browsing around. It might be a friend's reassurance she needs more than yours tbh.

I recently took DSD and a friend shopping for party dresses. DSD's friend was quite uncomfortable about the idea of wearing a dress (never normally does) but together they were able to share ideas and DSD helped her find one she was happy to buy.

Chopchopbusybusy Tue 30-Apr-13 14:06:49

DD1 is not a girly girl and lives in jeans, t shirts and converse. I was dreading prom dress shopping, but we went to a hire shop and it was really easy. She hired a long dress and so the shoes weren't so important and she wore flat sandals which couldn't really be seen under the dress. The woman in the shop was helpful as I'm a bit like DD in my taste in clothes so I wasn't a great help. I wouldn't recommend that she goes in trousers. I think she'll look really out of place.

Mrscupcake23 Tue 30-Apr-13 14:03:21

I really don't think trousers are suitable. She will really stand out.

Could she bit wear a dress and flat shoes ? Have seen girls in long dresses and dr martins before.

Jaskla Tue 30-Apr-13 13:54:47

I wasn't one for wearing dresses and heels when I was that age but I wore one as I would rather have done that then stand out - every other girl wore a dress so she would probably be the only one in trousers.

I went shopping with a group of friends which helped as I could see the types of things others were getting. Is that an option for her?

hillyhilly Tue 30-Apr-13 13:54:23

Try tk maxx, huge variety of all sorts of dresses all in one place. Go early so it's tidy and try as many on as you can persuade her to. That way you'll get a good feel for what she does or doesn't like or suit.

titchy Tue 30-Apr-13 13:48:44

Think we need an idea of her normal style - she needs to feel comfortable in what she wears!

When you say she's extremely conservative what do you mean? Jeans and jumper? Skirt and blouse? Both can be jazzed up a little into 'prom-suitable'.

chocoluvva Tue 30-Apr-13 13:40:20

Would she wear a long dress with sleeves maybe - if it was long enough her shoes would be hidden.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now