Should a 13 year old be allowed to wear a G string

(91 Posts)
Skatergirl45 Thu 25-Apr-13 20:39:37

My daughter who is 13 very soon, who looks 16, asked me if she could wear a G string. I was quite shocked and said categorically NO WAY. She then went on to tell me that other girls wear them and they take the mickey out of you if you can see panty lines in the school trousers the wear. This all took place in the middle of a shop when we were purchasing underwear. Her older 19 year old sister was not impressed and told her so and her reasons being, that she feels that its an article of clothing that sexualises young girls and feels that it could lead onto to bigger things. My 13 year old ended in up in tears and now feels that we think she's with the boys. Can someone tell me if this is a fashion thing and it is something that girls wear or should I be suspicious.

My friends and i discovered them age 13/14 - i know for us lot they stoppef the panty lines under trousers, made us feel a bit more grown up and in control of yourself and your decisions that not much ate age 13 other thsn clothes/hairstyles can do.

Now i'm s mum of coarse i'd cringe if dd wanted them but it's par for the course, kids grow up sadly

Ffs typos galore!

deleted203 Sun 05-May-13 20:25:27

Try seam free pants. G strings increase the chances of thrush for a start.

CognitiveOverload Sun 05-May-13 20:27:42

Wearing a thong is not going to drastically increase anything untoward happening to your daughter. Yes its probably peer pressure. Shes a teenager...peer ppressure is part of growing up. Offer her an alternative by all means. Might be more comfortable for her too. Thongs take a bit of getting used to.

Haleyuk Tue 13-Aug-13 09:40:57

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Haleyuk Tue 13-Aug-13 10:42:39

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

jungletoes Tue 13-Aug-13 10:51:22

Thongs = sexualisation is ridiculous, any style of pants can be "sexy" if it's leopard print or see-through. Plain thongs are just practical pants that eliminate vpl. My God, do all girls under 18 have to wear old-style bucket pants now? Tell you what, get them wearing slips under skirts in case a boy sees the outline of their legs. Nonsense.

katydid02 Tue 13-Aug-13 16:27:35

No, no way at all.

runningonwillpower Tue 13-Aug-13 16:33:42

I understand about visible panty lines.

But I've seen girls and women with visible thong lines and that isn't any better. In fact, it's worse if accompanied by wobbly unrestrained bottom cheek lines.

Having said that, I'd probably let her have them.

Travelledtheworld Wed 14-Aug-13 14:57:02

Surely a G string isn't practical for PE at school ?
There are a huge range of nice knickers available at a range of prices from supermarket to Jack Wills. Go shopping with her again and let her chose something suitable for her age and lifestyle.

GibberTheMonkey Wed 14-Aug-13 15:17:42

I've seen more visible thongs than I ever have normal vpl

They're really uncomfortable too. I save cheese wire for cheese.

This thread is another to remind the to help dd learn to be an individual not a sheep.

GibberTheMonkey Wed 14-Aug-13 15:18:10

I've seen more visible thongs than I ever have normal vpl

They're really uncomfortable too. I save cheese wire for cheese.

This thread is another to remind the to help dd learn to be an individual not a sheep.

curlew Wed 14-Aug-13 15:26:43

I certainly wouldn't find them comfortable for doing anything active or sporty. Is that just me?

Oh and whoever said "you can't decide what your daughter decides to cover her private parts with"-- just watch me!!!

dexter73 Wed 14-Aug-13 17:23:17

My dd started wearing plain black thongs to school at about 14 because of the vpl. I didn't realise they were such a big deal, I just thought they were another style of pants.

Mumof3wifeof1 Wed 14-Aug-13 18:35:29

I recommend big white cotton comfy pants ANY DAY , the ones that come above the bit of a belly over hang and muffin tops , and no, I dont care and no, neither does my husband care . I personally find thongs are like a cheese wire. The only way I would wear a thong is if I could wear my white comfy pants underneath.

Picturesinthefirelight Wed 14-Aug-13 18:38:47

Travelled - can you tell me why they sent suitable for PE at school?

It's just I was thinking if getting some for dd for under her leotard.

Mumof3wifeof1 Wed 14-Aug-13 18:40:45

But I'm more than twice the Age of your daughter so she won't like my big white comfy pants idea.

mathanxiety Thu 15-Aug-13 07:10:42

Boy shorts all the way here.
Not meaning to sound smug, but I can't imagine the sort of world where teen girls are so insecure about themselves that they worry what their friends think of their choice of knickers or spend time noticing and remarking on what each other's bums look like under their clothes. Who are these shallow people your children are friends with?

And yes I do have teenage daughters, and one now in her twenties.

curlew Thu 15-Aug-13 07:21:01

Not meaning to sound smug, but I can't imagine the sort of world where teen girls are so insecure about themselves that they worry what their friends think of their choice of knickers or spend time noticing and remarking on what each other's bums look like under their clothes. Who are these shallow people your children are friends with?

Well, you may not be meaning to sound smug.................

mathanxiety Thu 15-Aug-13 07:42:40

No, I'm not meaning to. I realise how smug it sounds or I wouldn't have said that. But I can't imagine it all the same.

If a child of mine was so upset by the thought of someone commenting on the appearance of her bum that she was thinking of buying the knicker equivalent of stiletto heels I would be thinking she needed a new set of friends, a hobby, more time spent at home and less out parading around with her so called friends. My teens spend a lot of time doing sports, doing homework, babysitting, doing chores at home and studying for tests so a world where they would feel any angst about VPL and the opinion of their friends thereof is a long way removed from theirs.

curlew Thu 15-Aug-13 07:56:26

I don't think that helped, to be honest!

curlew Thu 15-Aug-13 08:00:05

You now sound both smug and judgemental!

dexter73 Thu 15-Aug-13 08:56:35

So you cannot imagine a world in which teenage girls worry about their choice of knickers and are shallow to comment on it but you yourself are doing that exact thing? Does that make you shallow to make judgements on people based on their choice of underwear?

Flicktheswitch Thu 15-Aug-13 13:33:42

They're

Flicktheswitch Thu 15-Aug-13 13:37:10

...just underwear? I would be inclined to let her tbh. I'm sure you'll have far more important battles than this (where there will be a valid reason to put your foot down) in future.

I don't think g-strings secrete secret chemicals which turn ordinary 13 YOs into sex maniacs...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now