14 year old wants to go to Edinburgh by train with his friends - what would you say?

(39 Posts)
DIYMum Sun 21-Apr-13 19:35:04

My son has got it into his head that it would be a great idea to go to Edinburgh (1 1/2hour trip by train) with a group of 6 friends at half term.
I had misgivings, not because I think they will get into trouble, (they are all pretty sensible) but because a group of teenage lads may attract unwanted atention from others, who might not be so nice.
He is keen to have some independence, which i understand.
I have suggested that I would go too (separately) just so there is a responsible adult on hand. He has gone 'ape' at the idea, and thinks hewill be the laughing stock with his friends.
I've told him either I go or its not happening.
Am I being over-protective?

mrsjay Mon 22-Apr-13 09:18:44

where do you live that you get half term confused there isn't any other holidays apart from mayday

GoblinGranny Mon 22-Apr-13 09:19:50

It's one of those times where the fact that my DS, now 18, has AS is a big advantage.
He's driven by logic and reason, rather than teenage bravado and worrying about what things will look like to other people. smile
So the first couple of times, he thought having me within easy help distance made sense. He didn't tell his mates, and he used his phone happily to check in with me to say where they were going next, as several of his friends did with their parents.
Now they pop up and down regularly in a pack with no worries.

GoblinGranny Mon 22-Apr-13 09:21:27

Half term here is the week beginning 25th May mrsjay.

Eeeeeowwwfftz Mon 22-Apr-13 09:33:58

Day trip. Yes. At that age I was going to places like Bristol and Plymouth on my own - and Edinburgh's nicer and safer than both.

On the other hand if they were planning to stay overnight I would insist on a chaperone.

lljkk Mon 22-Apr-13 09:41:19

if the friends are reliable I would let him go.
I imagine I would insist that he answer all my texts within half an hour & probably text him 2 or 3 times during his time away.

chocoluvva Mon 22-Apr-13 11:03:17

I'd let him go provided he contacts you a couple of times during the day. I'd ask for another contact number too - I've ocassionally texted my DS's friend if DS isn't getting in touch while he's a 20 min train journey away.

Advise them to stay out of the alleys and stick to the main streets. Tell him to spread his money, phone etc round him - not all in one pocket. make sure he has enough money with him and charge/credit in his phone.

Let him know that this will be a test for the summer holidays - only if he follows your rules will he be allowed to do similar in the summer hols.

chocoluvva Mon 22-Apr-13 11:05:04

mrsjay - there's another long weekend towards the end of may.

mrsjay Mon 22-Apr-13 11:13:00

mrsjay - there's another long weekend towards the end of may.

ah ok we don't get that holiday here

chocoluvva Mon 22-Apr-13 11:40:43

Oh. Are you sure? (Do you get two weeks in Oct?)

Sorry to go of topic.

mrsjay Mon 22-Apr-13 12:51:23

OH we never used to just mayday weekend but not the other one my friend in larnarkshire gets it you know I might just check our holidays

mrsjay Mon 22-Apr-13 12:53:06

just Monday the 6th for our schools, 1 week in October we do get a week now in February so maybe that is how it balances out

SirChenjin Mon 22-Apr-13 14:13:37

Does anyone else wish that Scotland would just do one set of holidays? I work in one region (so get their local holidays), DH in another region (ditto) and the DCs go to school in another region (ditto again). It's a flipping nightmare trying to plan a/l. Is it the same in other parts of the UK? confused

mrsjay Mon 22-Apr-13 15:08:28

that must do your head in sirchenjin my friend works in Falkirk but her Children are in school in Stirling they get different holidays sometimes and inservice days

SirChenjin Mon 22-Apr-13 17:53:31

It does MrsJay - it would be lovely to have the same holidays so that we can spend more time together as a family sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now