Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career ×

Do your teens have a political view?

(36 Posts)
inkyfingers Wed 17-Apr-13 17:54:54

Mine seem unconcerned about Mrs Thatcher and funeral etc. we explained to 13 yr old son who asked about left and right wing after all the coverage. No real left wing tendencies with 16 and 18 year old, or political interest. Is this normal, students don't seem to bother much with politics? Is it just the middleaged marching today? FWIW I was sort of left in my 20s.

Startail Sat 20-Apr-13 00:53:20

You only have to look at the way Women are treated in India, Saudi Arabia and 100 other countries to see that you can't let your DDs not vote.

Mine are 15 and 17 and both interested in politics and have strong views. Ironically as they are both atheists they both enjoy RE at school because of the philosophy and ethics element.
EggsEggSplat I was a member of CND in the 70s when, as a teenager I genuinely thought the world would end in nuclear war.
DH was always more right wing and has got more so as he gets older.
He expresses his views to the DCs whereas I try to give a balanced explanation. That may have backfired as they seem to agree with their father mostly.sad.
Neither had much idea about the Thatcher era though and wondered what all the fuss was about. Clearly I had failed there as my family and our local area suffered badly as a result of Thatcher's actions.

WishIdbeenatigermum Sat 20-Apr-13 11:50:58

Mine are all extremely political, in so far as what they say- no signs of actual activism though. I think it's one of those things that are rarely inculcated in a child from school but only from home- even if a child becomes politically opposite to its parents, the seed is sown at home.

DD had to be gently corrected that the correct term is Conservative, or Tory, not Toryscum, as she genuinely thought the party was called. grin blush

SacreBlue Sat 20-Apr-13 11:53:35

Agree with/similar story to Eggs, Need, Zzz & Squirrel

My DS grew up surrounded by campaigns (socio-economic & education mostly) and while he is very aware of these things (more so than who is in govt but he has a grasp on policy-making) his views are more right wing than mine and he is more interested in ethics than politics.

Good to see our kids are engaged with the world in their own capacity - balances out the drinking in park anti-social stereotype of teens smile

ByTheSea Sat 20-Apr-13 11:54:40

DSs (17 and 16) aren't terribly political but definitely left-wing and BNP-hating. DD1-13 has very strong left-wing views and I wouldn't be surprised if she chooses to study PPE when she goes to university and make a career in a related field. DD2-10 is very conscious of human rights and equality issues and speaks up loudly when she sees breaches.

We are a Guardian-reading, politics-discussions-at-the-dinner-table, multi-racial, multi-cultural, international family.

VerySmallSqueak Sat 20-Apr-13 13:54:27

It's strange really because I was much more of an activist than my parents.I was going on demos independently at about 14.Although my parents basically agreed with my beliefs they wouldn't have taken part in non violent direct action as I did.
I am not sure Wish that my beliefs were sown at home (although they must have been to a point) - I had strong bonds within my local cnd group and womens group from about mid teens - but I do think my sense of right and wrong and sense of independence were bred at home.And a sense of responsibility that I was a part of the whole.

I suppose that is what I am hoping to teach my daughters as they get older rather than a particular political stance.

Asinine Sat 20-Apr-13 14:05:03

They are all (ages 14-8)interested in the news and listen to r4 and many of the comedy news review programmes. Oldest two also steal the Sunday paper, and enjoy reading 'the week ' at granny's house. We often debate at dinner, eg last night was 'should the school day be longer, or holidays shorter?' ds 12 was threatening to write to Michael Gove..grin

Politics just comes up in conversation, like 'who pays for library books?' 'why does x go to private school?' or yesterday 'why did they bomb the marathon?' I was the same, interested from an early age.

needaholliday Sat 20-Apr-13 16:03:40

DD1 26 TEACHER"RIGHT WING EURO SCEPTIC TORY" EXCEPT FOR GOVE WHO SHE HATES. Micheal gove is amazing he makes a right wing euro sceptic hate him.

Floralnomad Sat 20-Apr-13 16:07:46

My 20 yr old votes because I've always instilled in mine that if you don't bother to vote you can't complain about what you get ( although where we live my vote is usually a waste of time !) . I wouldn't say he was politically aligned though at the moment .

PimpMyHippo Sat 20-Apr-13 16:16:56

I don't have teenagers but I was one not that long ago, and I had vague ideas of what seemed right to me wrt human rights, the respnsibilites of the state etc, but didn't really know how to connect those to a political party. I was/am more left wing than my parents, and have had some interesting chats with my dad. As I've got older my views have crystallised a bit more but I still never have a clue who to vote for when elections roll round - I can never decide which is the lesser evil! I vote anyway but I do wonder if my uneducated vote is actually less helpful than a no vote at all.

needaholliday Sat 20-Apr-13 16:22:43

Pimpmy hippo. Read Seasons in the Sun The Battle for Britain 1974-1979 DOMINIC SANBROOK. you will know who to connect with then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now