What does your teen do when not at school?

(32 Posts)
Cloudminnow Thu 21-Mar-13 10:04:54

My DS 14 doesn't really do anything apart from go on his lap top and talk to friends on skype. He has joined clubs at school from time to time to but drops them as soon as he can. He hates sport and doesn't like anything 'organised' or 'club like' at all. He's not interested in meeting friends in town or cinema etc. and doesn't even like watching TV with the rest of the family. Just wondering what other kids this age actually do, or is it ok to sit in your bedroom and spend hours on a computer?

TheRealFellatio Sat 23-Mar-13 03:53:12

My son is exactly the same as yours Cloud and it drives me nuts. He'll play PS3, watch the same DVDs over and over again, chat to friends on fb or Skype, watch stuff on youtube - that's it.

I force him to do sailing one afternoon a week after school, which he loves actually, but I cannot get him remotely interested in anything else. He did agree to join the scouts but the only pack near us for miles is full up. sad

He will see friends occasionally but not nearly enough for my liking, and he is pretty popular so I just don't understand why he won't make the effort more often.

I am looking forward to him turning 14 so he can start the International Award, which is like the ex-pats version of Duke of Edinburgh award. I am starting to think that he and his armchair will morph into one inanimate mass and will require surgical separation. hmm

BackforGood Mon 25-Mar-13 23:56:06

Explorer Scouts (they also both volunteer with younger age groups too)
Paid work
All the camps, training, and other meetings that go on over and above the 'usual' meeting night
1 of them has music lessons and does the odd bit of practice
1 goes to church
1 goes to a youth group
DofE (but that's mainly from things they are already doing)
Homework / Facebook / 1 watches TV, the other occasionally goes on X-box
They have to contribute around the house (cooking etc.)
Older 1 meets up with friends quite a bit - either a curry or to the park or occasionally the cinema.
Older one started going to q a few concerts now he's earning own money

justcross Fri 29-Mar-13 10:48:16

Am new to the Teenagers section but was galvanised into action this morning by reading about other people's experiences with X box and ds's.My son is very sporty and active but recently since getting FIFA he cannot think of anything but how soon he can get to the Xbox. SO....this morning we took it away!

I feel immediately happier about life and have spoken to him telling him that I know he may hate us, but quite frankly, I don't care! i talked through addiction with him and how, as his parents we have a duty to do things that might make him resent us. after all he's 15 and what does he know!!

He finally admitted that I was right, to an extent. I know am very lucky having (at the moment) a very sensible, sweet boy. It's really hard to be the baddy, and it's also going to be hard having him hanging around saying he's bored....but then....actually if you're bored you might invent the next wheel!!!

I urge other parents to take the plunge and let our boys explore the real world and not just the cyber one.

Bowlersarm Fri 29-Mar-13 11:01:51

It sounds to me like he is similar to a lot of boys. I have three DS's, all totally different to each other, and my middle DS 14 sounds just like yours. He's popular at school but has little interest in seeing friends outside of school. He would much rather sit with his laptop or play ,on his ps3 at home. He doesn't like sports at all, clubs, parties, or interested in girls yet. He isn't allowed his laptop in his bedroom so is amongst us all the time, but it is a bit of a dilemma as how to get him interested in other things. He drives my DH mad, and he gets very anxious about him.

My other two DS's are very different. Very sociable, one is very sporty, and they are out a lot.

shockers Fri 29-Mar-13 11:05:41

I refuse to have an XBox in the house! There are no TVs or computers in bedrooms either, although they (DD,14 and DS,13) do have music systems in their rooms and both enjoy time in there listening to music or reading.

As for other stuff, they play together in the garden, football and cricket mostly, or messing about with the dog. They're both members of a small local swimming club, so they train 4 times a week, DS also does land training with the club. The local YMCA holds free football sessions and organises tournaments, DS also plays for a club, trains midweek and plays a match on Sunday afternoon. They go to church on Sunday morning and the youthclub attached on Monday evening. In the holidays they spend a lot of time with us, walks, bike rides, treasure trails etc.

Last night we all played cards, they love it when we play board games too!

Right now, DS is out on his bike and DD is playing patience with a pack of cards at the table opposite me.

Groovee Tue 02-Apr-13 15:13:15

My 13 year old goes to guides and drama. She helps me at brownies one night a week and she goes out with friends.

He plays rugby and does Scouts (he has a group of good friends in the same Scout group which helps). He goes to a church youth group.

The rest of the time, he mooches around at home (always in pyjama bottoms and t-shirt, regardless of the time of day or time of year).

He sometimes attempts to play a bit of jazz on the piano or does a bit of studying or reads a book. He occasionally offers to cook a meal or put a load of laundry on.

The rest of the time is spent on Minecraft / Facebook / Twitter / Youtube or winding up his younger siblings.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now