DD wants to go to indie concert in Oxford with one friend

(21 Posts)
Kez100 Thu 11-Apr-13 16:24:43

I took my daughter and a friend to the O2 in Oxford on Cowley Road a few weeks ago. We stayed at the Premier Inn and I drove in on the night, parked behind the Tesco metro close by, they went to the concert and I ate at a buffet restaurant a few doors away. After the concert, they phoned me, I left the restaurant, met them outside the O2, bought them a KFC (also a Subway open and the Tesco metro) and we drove back to the hotel.

No problem. I had a nice evening actually!

nickstmoritz Thu 21-Mar-13 09:40:33

I would have done the same as you. You just would not have had a minutes peace of mind until they were home either. Hope she appreciates it and I am sure she will double check the details next time. Hope they have a great time.

riverswimmer Wed 20-Mar-13 20:43:03

DH and I have decided that we will drive them up there! And next time make sure she knows where the venue is before she books the tickets! Thanks for all the advice.

pompompom Wed 20-Mar-13 18:19:34

I think what I'd be worried about is a late train being missed/cancelled and them ending up halfway between Oxford and West Sussex.

AtiaoftheJulii Wed 20-Mar-13 18:12:49

Ah, and that's the only date. Is the train possible? They'd almost certainly be fine, I'm just imagining them not getting home until 5 am. Otherwise, I guess it's the hostel unless you fancy a night out in Oxford?

riverswimmer Wed 20-Mar-13 17:16:47

pompompom - it's the Kooks

riverswimmer Wed 20-Mar-13 08:19:29

Thank you so much for all the really helpful and supportive posts (big thanks to you, Medusa - I'll let you know. ) Glad to know I'm not just being neurotic.

nickstmoritz Tue 19-Mar-13 23:01:37

btw nice offer Medusa.

nickstmoritz Tue 19-Mar-13 22:57:42

My thoughts are..how far is it to drive from yours? DH or I have occasionally taken DD to gigs a bit further away and waited around (ok if you can go with someone and go for a pizza or something while waiting for them. DH always has loads of work to do so he as taken laptop and worked somewhere with WIFI.) Quite a big ask for you I would say but could work. Otherwise I would also be tempted to sell tickets and go somewhere nearer if any left. Unfortunately the travel sounds a bit tricky and I would be too much of a wuss to let them stay over night I think.

AtiaoftheJulii Tue 19-Mar-13 22:45:12

Lol, Medusa, I've only picked up from there once and being part of that crowd of parents waiting made me feel soooo old!

pompompom Tue 19-Mar-13 22:43:11

What's the gig BTW?

pompompom Tue 19-Mar-13 22:42:48

Check the times of the last trains - they can be quite early from Oxford, and it could take them half an hour to get to the station, its unlikely they'll be able to do it.

I'd sell the oxford ones and try for a different venue

The O2 Academy is an ok venue and very close to town. I second Leddeeburdee.. it would be very easy to book a night at the YHA (which is literally 400 yards from the station) and get a taxi to the O2.

Having said that.. I'm local (and have sat outside the O2 waiting for my own girls many a time as well as going there myself) and I would be happy to fetch your girls from the station, get them to the O2 and return them to either the YHA or train if you like? My girls are a couple of years older now but I used to worry even when they were going to local gigs. PM me if you like ..I'm a long time MNetter not an axe murderer or anything grin

AtiaoftheJulii Tue 19-Mar-13 22:34:54

Just because it sounds like a tedious and not-cheap journey (and overnight stay!) that would be better avoided if possible.

AtiaoftheJulii Tue 19-Mar-13 22:22:52

Are whoever she wants to see not touring any closer to home? Think I'd try to buy elsewhere and sell the Oxford ones.

riverswimmer Tue 19-Mar-13 17:11:41

Yes it is at the O2 Academy. DD thought she was booking for London O2 and only realised when it was too late. YHA a great idea, thanks.

leddeeburdee Tue 19-Mar-13 17:02:27

Is the concert at the O2 Academy? If so it's easy to get a bus or a taxi from the train station across town to the Cowley Road. If it's a late finisher then perhaps they should look at staying at the Oxford YHA www.yha.org.uk/hostel/oxford. It's right next to the train station and they could watch the concert and get a train back in the morning.

pompompom Tue 19-Mar-13 16:58:36

Where is the venue? Cowley by any chance?

riverswimmer Tue 19-Mar-13 16:56:01

Thanks heronsfly - I'd be fine about it if it was in the daytime. DD has done Norfolk to home via London alone last summer but not late at night.

heronsfly Tue 19-Mar-13 16:54:19

Hi, admittedly not late at night, but my dd2 also 16, announced few weeks ago that her and a friend had got tickets to Move it at Olympia,they went from the depths of sleepy Kent, 2 changes on the train and two underground trips, and they were fine.I did insist on regular phone calls, and they are very sensible girls.At 16 I think we need to let them go, but with a lot of conditions,of course it also depends on the maturity of the girls.

riverswimmer Tue 19-Mar-13 16:46:44

DD 16 announced that she and her friend (also 16 but looks much younger) have bought tickets for a gig in Oxford. We live in West Sussex and DD not even sure where Oxford is but convinced they can get there and back on train (2 changes) with no problems. Concert venue is 1.5 miles from Ox station. DD not streetwise (has grown up in quiet country town) and only ever been to one gig before - with me! Am concerned about the complicated travel arrangements to an unfamiliar city on a Saturday night and even more worried about the journey home - changing trains in cities late at night. What would you do?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now