DD14 too much make up!!

(20 Posts)
Jimalfie Tue 19-Mar-13 09:36:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

She will grow out of it. It's only make up. If you tell her she can't she'll put the make up in her bag and put it on round the corner

seeker Tue 19-Mar-13 09:38:22

Leave it. Fitting in is incredibly important at this age. She'll be less orange by year 11, I promise!

SavoyCabbage Tue 19-Mar-13 09:39:55

What about taking her to a make up counter for a make over for a more natural look?

DeepRedBetty Tue 19-Mar-13 09:41:52

I did go ballistic with dd1 (also 14), but only because she was spending so long pissing about that she was late for school. They're all at it and school allows it from year 9 so I don't have support that way. She's got minor scarring on her cheek so has been using concealer for a few years anyway, but now there's mascara, lipstain, blah.

I don't want her to feel left out and she still thinks all boys smell so will leave her to it for now, as long as she leaves for school on time!

TWinklyLittleStar Tue 19-Mar-13 09:46:01

If she's not late for school then let it go. What harm is it actually doing?

Mrsrobertduvall Tue 19-Mar-13 09:46:29

Take her to a counter to get foundation that actually is the right colour/texture for her. She may also listen to a sales person about less being more.

Dd rarely wears makeup at 16 and neither do her friends.

This is what 14 year old girls do. She'll look back and laugh with you in a few years.

timidviper Tue 19-Mar-13 09:49:31

Agree it's normal and second the idea of taking her to get advice on good foundation that won't clog her skin etc

Jimalfie Tue 19-Mar-13 09:50:18

specialsubject Tue 19-Mar-13 13:14:30

might also be worth reminding her to be careful with the straighteners, used everyday they do wreck hair. and make VERY sure that she turns them off.

we all wore too much slap as teens. The only issue is the fact that she is making you late for work - so after due warning, chuck her out of the house with her bag, lock her out and she walks to school. She'll be late, face the consequences and so will learn.

Both my girls went through the orange slap-it-on-with a trowel stage too! Oh and GOD the eyeliner.. they looked like demented pandas from yr 9-11!!

However ALL the girls did and I am happy to report that at 18 and 21 they are now a natural colour again and both rarely even bother with makeup! It will pass...smile

sashh Wed 20-Mar-13 05:15:02

The body shop were always good for makeovers.

I bought some make up for a 14 year old recently that had a plug for an iphone and a speaker so you could link to make up lessons online.

Maybe get her experimenting with different looks.

But she will grow out of it, and if she has the parting just over the ear, that too.

Jimalfie Wed 20-Mar-13 09:25:49

jomcc77 Wed 20-Mar-13 09:36:12

My daughter (13) is exactly the same. I have 2 older girls 17 and 18 and have came to the conclusion that is just something that happens around that age.
It seems to me that this happens when they become interested in boys and once they realise that boys are not as great as they think, the make up calms back down smile

Jimalfie Wed 20-Mar-13 09:50:03

Oh don't start me on the 'seeing' v 'going out with them' smile I have been trying to understand this for years!

As far as I can make out 'seeing' them is just casual.. (tho there may be sex involved still..or there may be with older teens anyway!) and they are just trying each other out. If it looks like they really really like each other then they ask someone out..and it's considered a proper relationship..and exclusive.

DS1 (19) started 'seeing' one of his sister's uni friends in about october/november. He was visiting their uni pretty much every non working weekend. After Xmas he officially asked her out (took her out to dinner etc) and now they are a couple!

However I believe he was sharing her bed before it was official... !

Clear as mud, eh?! :D

Jimalfie Thu 21-Mar-13 09:28:14

stefb Thu 28-Mar-13 02:00:23

My DD is 14 and is doing exactly the same with makeup and hair! I have since discovered that her and her friends have crushes on boys. I'm not worried about it though as I know she will grow our of the plastering herself in make up. She's a good girl, works hard at school and isn't running around with lots of different boys like some of her peers. I'm taking her shopping tomorrow to get her some 'good' foundation I think that's all you can do really.... It's hard though seeing them growing up

bevelino Sat 30-Mar-13 20:25:44

Appearance is not that important, behaviour is. Choose your battles carefully.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now