Irregular periods 12 year old DD

(8 Posts)
fatsatsuma Tue 19-Mar-13 08:08:11

Thanks for all these helpful replies. It all sounds normal - just feel sorry for her, but she's coping brilliantly smile

fostermumtomany Tue 19-Mar-13 02:40:13

hi, I had the same problem as a kid and now my daughter has the same problem!
I started my periods at 10 and my daughter started at 8, my other daughter, now 11, hasn't started yet but the signs are there!

my older daughter amy, was like your daughter, bleed for a bit off for a day or two then back on again. it went on for about 6 months then nothing, for months. after a year I took her to the gp who told me that if after the first year a girls periods have not settled into a pattern they need to be looked at.
my gp offered the pill for dd and I agreed. purely because I have endometriosis and my dd is starting to show symptoms of it too. for example, every time she does have a period, she gets awful diarrhoea and sickness which could indicate lesions on the bowel, the gp initially wanted to perform a laparoscopy but I felt that at 13 she was just too young as it can cause adhesions and she doesn't want those!

my advice for you would be to just pop along to your gp or even your local family planning clinic as they can both offer advice and support.
that said I wouldn't worry too much just yet xxxx

My periods were irregular until I went on the pill at 17. It was very frustrating!

YippeeTeenager Mon 18-Mar-13 21:31:21

My DD started Christmas day, had another one within 2 weeks and then nothing for 2 months - she's just 13. I think this is totally normal but I guess see what happens next and pop her to GP if she has another one very soon to check her iron levels more than anything. It does seem a shame for them. My DDs are really heavy and last 10 days sad

Parisbanana Mon 18-Mar-13 19:48:09

My dd still has irregular periods after 3 years.

fatsatsuma Mon 18-Mar-13 19:23:04

No, I'm not expecting her to be regular. It was the fact that she started bleeding again having only finished a week-long period 3 days earlier that surprised me.

TheRealFellatio Mon 18-Mar-13 18:30:32

Gosh, yes - totally normal! You can't expect her to necessarily be regular at only twelve years old and after only two cycles!

fatsatsuma Mon 18-Mar-13 18:26:28

DD (12) has had 2 periods, about 6 weeks apart. The second one was heavy, lasted a week and ended last Wednesday. Yesterday and today ie 4 days later, she seems to have started again. She's also feeling sick and has a tummy ache. I reckon this is probably within the range of normal for the first few months, but can someone reassure me?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now