14 year old self-harming

(8 Posts)
slippysofa Mon 25-Mar-13 09:01:25

Oh Tyrone does it matter whether OP is the friend or the mum. Someone needs help, not sarcasm.

mindfulmum Mon 18-Mar-13 18:15:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SmiteYouWithThunderbolts Mon 18-Mar-13 10:17:38

Thank you for bumping, turnipsoup.

GeordieCherry - thank you, I'll pass that on to her.

Thanks all for the good luck too.

Isabeller Mon 18-Mar-13 07:18:30

It sounds very tough and upsetting for all concerned, good luck flowers

GeordieCherry Mon 18-Mar-13 07:15:25

The national self harm network might be able to offer some support to everyone involved.
Good luck thanks

TyroneDontMoan Mon 18-Mar-13 07:00:09

"My mums friend"
"She"
In denial much?

turnipsoup Mon 18-Mar-13 06:01:36

bumping for you

SmiteYouWithThunderbolts Sun 17-Mar-13 20:21:52

Hi, this is my first post in here and I'm asking for advice on behalf of my mum's friend who is having a helluva time with her dd.

She's discovered today that her dd is self-harming as well as binge eating then purging. She has absolutely no idea how to handle this and my mum says she feels utterly out of her depth too, especially because the dd has had many behavioural problems lately and the relationship between her and her mum is very difficult just now.

The dd and her mum have already been referred to CAMHS and apparently she has bi-polar disorder, but I don't know what (if any) ongoing support they've been offered. It's sadly not as easy as it sounds to get her to the GP about the self-harming and binge eating because she is very hostile towards her mum.

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions at all? I've gone through threads about self-harm on here and picked out some websites like youngminds and MaryZ's support thread, but is there any practical advice I can pass to my mum's friend?

TIA thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now