Mobile use issues

(7 Posts)
janinlondon Fri 22-Feb-13 12:43:14

A number of the year 9 boys in our school will be returning after half term with basic PAYG tesco phones, no internet, as a result of the images they have been receiving (and possibly sending - who knows). A collective decision by the Dads.

Lollybrolly Fri 22-Feb-13 10:52:34

Agree with special. That's all I have.
Get the cheapest Nokia handset for around £10 and buy a £5.00 a month Giff Gaff sim that gives texts only. No camera, no internet.
The other advantage of a basic phone is you get a better signal.

TataClaire Fri 22-Feb-13 10:46:51

As I said in my post they aren't my kids. They're in a difficult family situation as they are currently looked after by grandparents and have contact with their parents and they use the phones as a way of defying their grandparents, but now their g.parents have control, so want to take them away so they can call but not take liberties as they have been doing. So far all these phones seem to have done is given them an addiction, exposed them to really inappropriate content and made them be deceitful, they've had a lot of chances but that's it now, they're losing them. All they actually need is to call home and that's it, they can use the computer in the family living room and the landline. They don't need anything else.

specialsubject Fri 22-Feb-13 10:17:30

just take them away and give them £10 PAYG call and text only phones with £10 credit. Children don't need mobile internet. To be honest, most adults don't either.

imnotmymum Fri 22-Feb-13 09:00:46

Well social networking is vital my DDs inform me !! Look as the parent you have to trust them and do be in control of the phone but need to bring them up to make judgements and talk about appropriateness. My DDs BB are in my name and I have capped their bill so they cannot go over budget. Why would you want to control them in such a way is beyond me!

TataClaire Fri 22-Feb-13 08:57:34

Does anyone know of systems where you can have a basic phone with just one number on it? Got a situation with a 12 and 13 year old (not mine) that have smart phones that they are literally addicted to, see inappropriate things on from their friends, lie about and they generally cause problems - they have been warned they will be taken away and given cheapo phones instead. Has anyone had experience of this? Just want them to be able to contact home and thats it basically and limit the money they spend.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now