A cautionary tale

(6 Posts)
Fairyliz Sat 16-Feb-13 21:32:39

My youngest dd was a really easy baby and a lovely child; then at 14 everything started to change. She became moody and sullen, difficult to get out of bed, grades dropping like a stone at school. Sounds like usual teenage behaviour but I was convinced that something was going on.

I went to school several times but they were no help just said she had to study harder.

She then started with stomach pains and missed school on several occasions without my consent. Eventually on the third time of taking her to the doctors they did some blood tests, it turns out that she has an underactive thyroid!
She has been on tablets now or eight weeks and she is a different person happy and bouncy. So don't blame everything on teenage hormones sometimes they are just ill.

ivykaty44 Sat 16-Feb-13 23:31:15

Glad you found out what was wrong and got help from your go, strangely thyroid problems often get missed as menopause symptoms

edam Sat 16-Feb-13 23:32:36

Oh, I'm really pleased your dd is doing so well - thank heavens for the blood tests.

mindfulmum Sun 17-Feb-13 07:49:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Mumofthreeteens Tue 19-Feb-13 07:33:27

As someone who is hypothyroid I can only imagine your poor dd felt awful. So pleased that she has been diagnosed and is responding well to her treatment. Be aware that she'll need regular blood tests and her medication adjusted as required.

I have autoimmune hypothyroidism and so does my mother. My maternal grandmother AND paternal grandmother also had an underactive thyroid, also my father's sister.

I didn't start having problems until my early twenties, but with the family history, I will certainly be keeping that in the back of my mind as my children get older.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now