GCSE options - art?

(58 Posts)
JugglingChaotically Mon 28-Jan-13 18:36:15

My DD has to choose her GCSE options but is not sure yet why he want to do next. She'd talks of Oxbridge and other top universities and also of medicine. Don't know how realistic it is or whether she will be prepared to work hard enough - she can do, sometimes blush
Compulsory subjects are triple science, English language and literature, maths and a MFL. She wants to do history then 2 of RE, Latin and art.
She is leaning towards art and RE, her school says choices don't matter just grades.
Is 9 plus art enough? And is art so time consuming that it could make it difficult to get good grades in the other subjects?

hellsbells99 Wed 06-Feb-13 13:40:20

Juggling .....and don't forget your DD will still want plenty of time for shopping on a Saturday - they have to buy their new mascara sometime ...the joys of having a 15 year old!

Ooh yes, she does look rather striking in blue mascara I have to say - with her red hair done in fancy braids by her friends ! (As when I picked her up from sleep-over last Sunday smile)

It is now longer ago than I like to think, but her GCSEs are almost exactly the same as mine. I did double science and so couldn't do RE, but I did her other core subjects plus Latin, History and Art. They were a great combination and I really enjoyed it! It's too long ago to be really relevant but I just wanted to wish her luck because her subjects reminded me how much I enjoyed doing them. smile

AWimbaWay Wed 06-Feb-13 14:46:20

Like LRD, although rather a long time ago I also did GCSEs similar to your Dd Juggling. I loved my art classes and went on to do Art A'level and an art degree. It may have changed but I really don't remember it taking up any more time than any of my other subjects.

AWimbaWay Wed 06-Feb-13 14:48:18

I'd also add that although only 7 years old my eldest Dd loves art and I certainly wouldn't discourage her from doing it at GCSE level in the future if she so wanted, It's a lovely way to balance out the physics and chemistry.

Hope you don't mind me Juggling my way on to your thread JugglingChaotically blush It's been very helpful to me too - as I said at least we'll know what to expect if DD does go ahead with it.
What's your DD thinking now ? Does she still want to do it ?
As you say you can still enjoy art without necessarily doing it for GCSE ?

JugglingChaotically Wed 06-Feb-13 22:35:31

Thanks again to everyone - really helpful.
Juggling - the joy of teens!
DD had no idea that only 25% of the marks related to the end product!
However, DD in teen mode has decided that is what she wants to do so I hope that art will continue to be fun and that she will still be painting and drawing in 2015!

hotsummer Tue 18-Jun-13 13:46:11

Anyone know what level you need at end Y9 to get a 'decent' ie. C and above GCSE prediction ? DD has 7C at year 9. thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now