How much do you spend on your teens birthday

(11 Posts)
nagynolonger Sat 26-Jan-13 05:06:03

Mine never wanted a party once they were at secondary school. A few of their friends (the girls) had parties at 16 and a few more celebrated at 18 but no parents went overboard with parties.

I did/do try to spend a bit more on presents for a teenagers birthday because we don't buy big presents at Christmas. So if they want a laptop, guitar or anything else that's not shared with their brothers that's when they get it.

At 18 we always go for a meal with close family and arrange a party for the rest of the family and their friends. After the 18th aunts and uncles stop buying for them but we still give our own DC gifts and all the older siblings still buy a nice top or a pair of trainers so everyone has something to unwrap.

I spend around £50 on birthday presents for adult DC.

DandyDan Fri 25-Jan-13 21:29:01

£40 maximum - probably a £30-£35 something and a cheap DVD and a bar of chocolate. No party unless they fund it themselves - if it was at home I'd provide some snacks and a bit of pop (or beer if they were older).

I guess people spend what they can afford and what feels reasonable.

cory Fri 25-Jan-13 20:58:03

Expensive parties aren't really common around here, most people not being that well off. I slipped dd (16) a couple of tenners to take her friend into town for a burger, but if she had wanted a party it would have been snacks and cake at home- that (and sometimes drink) seems to be what other parents provide. So again, we are talking about a few tenners. It's partly about what you can afford and partly about what fits in with the group.

For presents, I think I spent about £40, but could possibly go a little higher if there was something I really wanted to give her.

skyblue11 Fri 25-Jan-13 20:05:46

Ah, thank you for that I put in my birthday money as I will want to use it too and DH was moaning about it being over the top...

dexter73 Fri 25-Jan-13 18:46:23

I think £200 is fine. I probably spend the same. Mind you next year looks like being more expensive as dd has asked for driving lessons for her 17th (and she will want to learn in MY car!!).

EuroShopperEnergyDrink Fri 25-Jan-13 17:52:08

My mum continues to spend £200 on me and I'm in my early twenties. Was the case throughout my teens and uni (apart from some years where I'd get some perfume and little bits and bobs, but they'd pay for me to come on the family holiday. Summer baby!) I would always get things I needed though, like a new textbook or some durable good quality shoes in the mix too...

I think you should spend what you have afford. I wouldn't have said £200 was excessive, given you've got some nice clothes and everyday luxuries like perfume that you may have perhaps bought anyway- but it's quite sad that you had to put your own birthday money towards it! hmm

flow4 Fri 25-Jan-13 17:50:14

We all spend what we can afford, surely? Unless we're a bit foolish! there's some very special reason for spending some extra...
I was totally broke when DS1 was little - I did a couple of birthdays spending about £15 in total... I'm not broke now, but we still live modestly, and I've spent £40-100 on the last few birthdays. The most recent one was DS2 turning 13, and I spent £30 on presents, £35 on a trip to the Imax with 2 friends, and £25 for a birthday meal out for the two of us. smile

chickenyummychicken Fri 25-Jan-13 17:16:08

£200 ish

skyblue11 Fri 25-Jan-13 16:22:06

No course it doesn't matter, it's just my DH thinks it's over the top...and I was just wondering, nothing wrong in that

BackforGood Fri 25-Jan-13 16:19:14

er - a lot less than you, but what does it matter ? Surely we all spend what we can afford, and we think is a 'sensible' amount to spend. I couldn't really give a monkeys if someone esle spends 1/2 what I do or 10x what I do.

skyblue11 Fri 25-Jan-13 16:09:38

I was wondering how much you'd spend, this year I decided no more parties for the first time, last year I paid for DD and 3 friends to have a spa day for her 16th at the cost of £140, so no more parties. Plus I always got her pressies too.
So no party but have bought 2 expensive tops (well I think they are at £40 for 2) stuff from lush, a ring from Etsy, big bottle of perfume, and a camera that will be 'shared' This may sound mean but as it cost over £200 I have put my birthday money my Mum gave me towards it as I will also be using it if I can get my hands on it!
So what do you all spend?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now