18th birthday party ideas?

(13 Posts)
MelArt Fri 11-Jan-13 10:11:40

I think I've already mentioned this site on here before but it really is cool for planning parties and getting ideas :-) www.birthdayparty4u.co.uk/18th-birthday-party-ideas

Solopower1 Sun 16-Dec-12 11:24:50

I really don't know whether it would be legal for us to give drinks to under-18s (going to look it up). I'm sure that if someone under 18 comes for a meal and there is wine, that is not illegal. I hope not, because we would do that without thinking about it! I'm pretty sure our younger people have had wine in restaurants too.

So maybe it is providing food that is key to all this?

sashh Sun 16-Dec-12 06:36:58

In English law (so check Scotland) a 16 year old can drink in a pub as long as they are eating.

If you hired a hall without a bar and bought your own would that be legal?

Solopower1 Sat 15-Dec-12 17:30:03

Ggirl, his siblings are in their thirties with small children, and he sees them as a different generation. I might ask his cousins (20s) but they live in England and also I think my son would be embarrassed to have them there and they might be too. Still, I could ask them for ideas. Yes. Good idea.

Solopower1 Sat 15-Dec-12 17:25:10

grin

asheepatthewheel Sat 15-Dec-12 16:59:59

Aye right, wink

Solopower1 Sat 15-Dec-12 14:08:48

Paintballing is good. We did that for his 16th. Daren't mention sleepovers - the very first time I met his girlfriend he asked me if she could stay the night!

I was so unclued in I was completely taken aback and had to go into the kitchen to shriek soundlessly at the walls before I could answer him. I had no idea he was at that stage. And he is my youngest, so I should have seen it coming.

When I had climbed down from the ceiling, I realised that they didn't necessarily mean 'sleep together' as I had thought (with my nasty suspicious adult mind), but could have meant just stay the night. As young people do these days. Apparently. In separate beds. hmm

DS1 - had a party at home (we weren't there). It was summer so they had the outdoor space also. No real problems except a lot of mess to clear up and thankful we don't have carpets.

DS2 - 18 last week. He doesn't really drink so just went paintballing with some friends, chinese takeaway and had a few stay for a sleepover then we had a big family meal the next day.

I was glad he didn't want a big party at home - I don't think my nerves could have taken it!

ggirl Sat 15-Dec-12 13:41:41

yes we were there as well as another couple that dd is very close to

dd's b'day is on new years eve so potential for lots of gatecrashers so she wanted us there..and there were , some we let in others we didn't but it meant she could relax and not worry cos we did that for her

she's having her 21st at home this year as well but it's going to be a slightly smaller affair as she's having another one at uni in january with those friends

i agree though, if your flat is rented and he won't let you be there then it's a risk
is there anyone older and responsible that your ds woudn't mind being there to watch over things?

Solopower1 Sat 15-Dec-12 11:59:28

Also, it's a small flat. 20 would be a squeeze.

Solopower1 Sat 15-Dec-12 11:58:37

Yes, it's a matter of trust, really. I've no reason to believe that any of them would trash the place, but my flat is rented. I am worried about this in a way that I wouldn't be if I owned it.

Were you present at the party? My son definitely doesn't want me to be there!

ggirl Sat 15-Dec-12 11:49:12

difficult , we resorted to a party at home as there is obviously going to be drinking
no problems at all , and there were about 80 kids shock

Solopower1 Sat 15-Dec-12 11:44:34

I was wondering if anyone could give me some ideas for my son's 18th, in Scotland?

He would like to have a party, but I don't want to hold it in our small rented flat in case it got out of hand. His friends are great, and usually quite normal, but they would want to drink. As many of them are under 18, including his girlfriend, I don't know what to do about this. Son says if there was no drinking, his friends wouldn't come.

If we hire a hall there's also the problem of underage drinking. I thought of booking a room at a pub, but it would be unfair to put them in that position, and they would ask for ID anyway.

What have other parents done?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now