Aerosol sniffing. Signs?

(13 Posts)
bakehouse Fri 28-Feb-14 09:53:28

This reminds me of when I found an aerosol can of suede protector in my sons bedroom when he was about 13. I panicked, thinking it must be something to do with aerosol abuse as it would never have occured to him to clean his trainers, let alone spray them with suede protector! When I mentioned it to him he said 'Mum we spray the bearings on our skateboards with that, it protects them when it rains!' Talk about jumping to conclusions!!!

Alicethewondernan Tue 25-Feb-14 10:39:39

I think my 17 year old granddaughter is sniffing sure deodorant. She dd it when she was 14 and we thought when we confrnted her with it she would stop. The signs are here again. She is very angry and argumenative, she is extremely overweight and her face is full of spots. She was in my house and when I went upstairs to check on her she was rubbing her nose profusely. I noticed the sure was not where it normally is , I called her to come downstairs,went back up and it had been put back in the cupboard and emptier than it was when I used it in the morning. Since the episode when she was 14 I constantly check the deodorants all the time without her knowledge. I never said anything to her should I have what do you think. Her parents are going through a divorce so her life is in a bit of upheaval at the moment.

brighterfuture Sat 08-Dec-12 09:05:35

I found out my ds had sniffed lynx. The signs were empty cans and bathroom towels which stank strongly of the perfume and were still saturated in places with it.

Thanks for the info.

I asked him when he got home why the cans were on the floor and he said he sat on the floor next to the radiator when he got out of the shower this morning so put the Lynx on there. Not sure why he needed to use two cans but I'd rather he was using two to smell fresh than the alternative. And two water bottles because he finished last nights bottle this morning and had another one in his school bag.

He rolled his eyes when I said I was worried he'd been sniffing them.

flow4 Fri 07-Dec-12 20:33:04

Signs of aerosol abuse include: white marks on towels or t-shirts and/or wet towels or t-shirts; looking ill: spotty face, red and blotchy, red eyes; mood swings...
There's more info here: www.talktofrank.com/drug/glues-gases-and-aerosols.
If he's doing OK at school and you haven't noticed any changes in him, it doesn't sound very likely, to be honest... smile
And also, aerosol misuse doesn't seem to be very popular or common these days. If he wanted to mess about with drugs, he'd be more likely to try skunk and/or m-cat...

WankbadgersBauble Fri 07-Dec-12 15:15:38

Having a 19 year old brother, I can confirm that Lynx is known as "shower in a can" and pretty much every male smells of some branch of it.
You never know with teenagers. He could have just dropped them on the floor because they're empty and taking them to the bin was too much like hard work.

Ahh, thank you.

I haven't noticed any strange marks on his clothes and nothing that I've brought down from his room for washing smells strongly of deodorant.

InNeedOfBrandyButter Fri 07-Dec-12 15:06:10

Ok I had friends in school that used to do this. Water bottles are nothing to do with sniffing cans, what you need is a tshirt that you scruch up as you inhales the aresole through the tshirt. So any material with huge deep white warks you need to be concerned, not just 2 empty cans.

It's unusual as his deodorants are all on a shelf. He's ever so lazy so it would be more effort to put them on the floor than back on the shelf.

A water bottle on the floor isn't odd but normally it'd be next to or under his bed, not over the other side of the room. And, there shouldn't be two as he usually takes one up at night and I tidy his room/make bed/collect washing and washing up every day so empty bottles don't collect.

I don't know, I'm probably looking for a problem where there isn't one. I've had very few problems with DS2 (DS1 was a whole other kettle of fish!) and I keep thinking how lucky we've been but that I shouldn't feel complacent just yet.

Thanks for your help though. smile

Lynx is quite often used as an alternative to showering (or so they think) grin

Keep an eye on the situation by all means but cans & bottles on the floor would not be unusual here.

Lynx is potent stuff. Did you know it is really good at removing permanent pen? Even better than permanent pen remover !!!

I just haven't been in his room hours after he's has left and thought "Wow, that's a bit strong" before.

As I said, it could just be that he went a bit mad with it this morning. There's probably a new fragrance out that he wants so he's trying to use up the cans he already has but it all looked a bit odd on the floor.

Oh, and the irony is I still have to boil wash his shirts to get rid of the smell of sweat!

I have two DSs and they both live in a cloud of Lynx. The smell lingers for AGES and they do tend to overdo it.

I've just been in 16yr old DSs bedroom on a sock hunt and was hit by the smell of deodorant. He left this morning before 8.00am so the room really shouldn't still smell of Lynx if he'd used it properly.

On the floor were two cans of Lynx and two empty water bottles. His deodorants are all on a shelf so it's odd that two should be on the floor and not with the others on the shelf.

I've Googled "Sniffing aerosols" but can't see any mention of bottles. I know nothing about how you go about sniffing an aerosol can - am I putting two and two together and getting five? It's entirely possible that he just sprayed his room with them and went a bit over the top but the empty bottles next to the cans seemed odd.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now