Anyone got a teenager and a baby...?

(9 Posts)

My DDs were 12 and 8 when I had DS. Within a couple of months DD1 turned 13.

I agree with bagofspiders. My DDs are both dancers and I lost count of the times that DS was fed in the car waiting for a class to finish. As he got older he did get frustrated about all the waiting around, but snacks, books and toys usually sorted him out.

Now DD1 is at Uni and DS misses her terribly. All three have a lovely bond and I feel that because of the age gaps between them I have had time to deal with them as individuals. School holidays are interesting as my 18 year old does not want to spend her spare time on a steam train grin

Bagofspiders Thu 06-Dec-12 22:24:25

DS is 18 months, DSD (she lives with us) is 16. Also have dsd2 13 & DSS 11. I think what I find most difficult is trying to balance toddlers vs teenager's needs. It's impossible to put the baby in any kind of routine when you've got to play taxi driver to a teenager at various times if the day or night.
The best thing is having another pair of hands and eyes. DSD & DS have a wonderful relationship. Very different to how it would be if they were closer in age I think. It's so lovely to watch them DS absolutely worships her! grin

Nuttyprofessor Thu 06-Dec-12 22:10:57

I remember it well. DD was 14 when DS was born. Let me tell you it gets better. She is now 26 and collects him from school and gives him his tea so I can work.

MrsJourns Thu 06-Dec-12 22:06:33

DS1 is 14 and DS2 is 2, both are prone to tantrums! I don't think it's so unusual now, 4 of DS1's classmates have siblings younger than DS2.

cynnerthenaughtyreindeer Thu 06-Dec-12 18:56:44

I delivered my fourth child when her sibs, were 12, 10, and 11 months...I have been busy..

AcidTurkishBath Thu 06-Dec-12 18:53:10

DSDs are 17 and 16, DS is 5 and DD is 3. Teenage tantrums are definitely worse as there isn't really anything to worry about other than the immediate strop. Holidays are incredibly stressful as we have to find something to do which everybody likes.

PoshPaula Thu 06-Dec-12 12:49:08

I have three sons - the eldest is 20, the middle one is 4, the little one is 2. I am 43, by the way.

It's really difficult managing the extremes! My eldest is now at University. I find his dramas and strops much harder to deal with than the toddlers - though they can be demanding in a very different way.

We've had some strange looks in restaurants when people can't quite place the relationships, it's quite amusing. When we've been out with my eldest's boyfriend it gets even more confusing(!).

OodKingWenceslas Thu 06-Dec-12 08:44:07

I've a almost 13 year old, 11 yo, 2 year old and am pg with dc4!

I like shocking people who assume dd3 is my first blush

I much prefer the toddler strops to the teenage ones, PMT is a nightmare much more sympathy for dh now and the mess is easier with toddlers.

*plus or minus any various ages in between...?

I ask only because I have (DDs aged 13 year old and 14 months old, with DSs aged 7 and 4 in between) and sometimes the need to respond well enough to all their wildly varying needs is mind lowing to the point of threatening to overwhelm me. I just wondered if there was any MN solidarity support out there...?!

I have lots of friends with children but they seem to have either teenagers or littlies, the former seem to have forgotten about the relentlessness of having toddlers and the physical demands of this time, the latter haven't a clue what will hit them 10 years down the line...!! The former say things like 'you have all this to come' (patronising!!!) and fail to see I'm already there, and the latter seek lots of advice because I should know what I'm doing (apparently) failing to see that I am just as flummoxed by why my baby won't sleep and how awful teething is, as they are. I just feel a bit isolated I guess.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now