DS wants a career in outdoor activity. Careers guy told him to work in gym.

(42 Posts)
adogcalledbetty Sat 20-Oct-12 08:07:49

DS is 16 and had a careers interview at school last week - told the careers guy he wanted to work in an outdoor activity centre - water and hills and stuff. According to my DS the careers guy suggested he'd be better to do a Btech in sport at college and become a personal trainer shock DS hates gyms and being inside!

He's doing D of E and GCSE in Sport at school and does lots of out outdoorsy stuff, but how on earth does he get a career doing it? All the college courses seem to be about indoor fitness and he's not academic enough for uni. Any ideas MNs?

notallytuts Sat 20-Oct-12 12:02:31

a friend of mine got a (live in) job at PGL after sixth form as an activity instructor with no relevant qualifications. I think she worked her way up to a manager/senior instructor or something after a few years? i would ditto the others and try contacting them directly. or maybe try the PGL website?

MrsFionaCharming Sat 20-Oct-12 12:20:42

He's too young now, but once he's 18 he should definitely look into Camp Leaders / Camp America. The pay's terrible, but the experience is amazing.

I like this thread. It's a breath of fresh air to me. I have two DSs who would love to do things like this as a career. DS1 will be doing options this year.

Sometimes on MN I feel that it's all about being ultra academic and becoming a lawyer/doctor etc.

Something like this sounds great

ibbydibby Sat 20-Oct-12 13:49:46

I second (third/fourth....) PGL suggestion - a relative started working there and amassed a fair number of outdoorsy qualifications. (over a number of seasons, admittedly)

MMMarmite Sat 20-Oct-12 13:55:49

Does he have a particular sport that he already does, or is interested in? For the watersports industry, a common route is to get an instructor qualification for sailing or windsurfing or kayaking, and a bit of work experience, and then apply for jobs. You don't need a degree. It's quite expensive to get the qualifications, and the pay isn't great. Great fun though!

Plas Menai instructor training is very good, and could probably advise you further if you give them a ring.

Ineedalife Sat 20-Oct-12 20:46:16

Hi adogcalledbetty,

I have pmed yousmile

Busybusybust Sat 20-Oct-12 20:58:09

Sounds like he needs a BTEC in Outdoor Ed. the FE. College I work for does one, and I think most colleges with rural links do. A friends' daughter is in her second year at Hartpury and already has a job lined up for when she finishes.

VivaLeBeaver Sat 20-Oct-12 21:07:51

Years ago I was at Teesside uni and was friends with lots on the sports science degree. All my mates were into outdoor sports, either climbing or canoeing. At the same time as doing their degree they were doing instructor courses away from uni such as the single pitch instructors course for climbing.

VivaLeBeaver Sat 20-Oct-12 21:10:31

And I wouldn't necessarily say that not been overly academic would be a problem. Even if he's not academic if he does any written stuff he needs to do on stuff he's interested in such as how to improve your canoeing technique then that's very different to a physics project.

sashh Sun 21-Oct-12 07:00:55

Google 'outdoor education'

www.outdoor-learning.org

Edexcell have a BTEC Level 3 in Outdoor Education which he could do at an FE college.

The local adult education centre by me doess things like first aid and risk assessement short course, these are free to some groups but would add to his CV.

You can also do outdoor education at Foundation and honours degree level.

Does he feel like learning sign language? The NDCS provide various holidays for deaf children (you don't need to sign, but it helps) I know one or two are drama but I also know a couple of people who volunteered for the outdoor camps with rock climbing, canoeing etc etc.

www.ndcs.org.uk/help_us/volunteer/hear_from_our.html

Again good for his CV.

BTW it looks like careers advisors havn't changed much since I was at school

of friends' DC are here and absolutely LOVE it

dietstartstmoz Sun 21-Oct-12 07:30:37

Your son is lucky to have seen a careers advisor, are there even any outdoor actiity FE courses available within your local area? At 16 your son is going to be limited in how far he can realistically travel and i assume living away at 16 is not feasible if he were to go to a rural college that does offer outdoor education. Sounds like the careers advisor was suggesting a sensible next step at 16, to gain some sports quals which your son could build on at age 18 at uni and then do outdoor ed? If in doubt give the advisor a call and have a chat, your sons interpretation of the chat may not be 100% accurate. Careers advisors dont tell students what career to do, its about challenging students, making sure its realistic and looking at progression routes.

adogcalledbetty Sun 21-Oct-12 19:16:17

Thanks so much for all your messages - you've given DS and I lots of ideas and inspiration smile

outdooradventurer Fri 15-Feb-13 11:00:54

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

BackforGood Sun 17-Feb-13 14:32:12

Thanks for that update. Very useful smile

Theas18 Tue 19-Feb-13 20:01:32

Careers advisors- I think they re just there for a laugh. DS did his asessment and was told to consider being an undertaker....I think the thought he'd look good in a dark suit and strong enough to carry a coffin!

Some great suggestions on the thread. If your DS has a passion he should follow it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now