DS1 has just bought a car....

(9 Posts)

Without first checking that there was a cat's chance in hell of being able to actually insure it.
Sigh....

He's 19 (going on 7 I reckon!) and bought it off a work mate. Nothing inherently wrong with that except that he has bought a souped up VW polo 1.4 with lowered suspension, body kit etc.. and that he can't insure for less than 4k even tho it's nearly as old as he is shock (he's only just passed his test)

He is an idiot. We TOLD him to check first, but did he listen?! Na...

He is now looking very sad but has reluctantly agreed that his best bet it is sell it on ebay and find something that he CAN hope to insure.. you know a not so 'cool' old micra or similar!

I do feel sad for him, but I guess he had to learn the hard way....

lljkk Sun 30-Sep-12 22:05:53

At least he isn't determined to try to drive it anyway without insurance.

RandomMess Sun 30-Sep-12 22:07:09

AW bless!

I had a sceicento 12 years ago was a very nippy thing!

No he'd never drive uninsured.. he's daft but not THAT daftsmile

Though I can see why some teens do... to even add him as named driver on my old banger would cost 2k ( and sadly I need my car every day for work so it's not an option). It's very hard for new drivers who don't have wealthy parents!

I'm now looking for old micras/small cars on ebay... there has to be something out there! Meanwhile the vw nightmare is sat on the neighbours drive, where it will now stay til sold....ho hum...

OrangeLily Sun 30-Sep-12 22:18:03

Woopsy that's a bit of an expensive mistake!

We bought a polo today but we're a bit older and it's not so souped up!

Get him on compare the market, at least when he eventually gets insurance note old banger he might be cheered up by a wee meerkat toy.

Maryz Sun 30-Sep-12 22:59:01

ds1 came home last night after a heavy session hmm. This morning one of his friends called him to tell him that he bought a car yesterday for 75 euro.

ffs, 75 euro wouldn't buy a tyre, so God knows what he has done.

And unfortunately, he just might be fuckwitted enough to drive it uninsured (he has Asperger's and believes his friends when they tell him to do things).

[sigh] I thought he was growing up, I was wrong.

Maryz you sure we don't actually share the same son?! grin They seem to have gone through their teens in a similar fashion :/ Ds1 is actually turning human at last after years of hell, but he still seems incapable of THINKING.

I now have to hope my neighbour won't mind us parking the boy racer car on her drive (we don't have one) until we sell it...sigh....

75 euros... I think I'd like to see the car!

Maryz Sun 30-Sep-12 23:15:33

I have refused to have the car/wreck/shell in my front garden.

If he or his friends drive it, I'm not taking any responsibility. I hope by refusing to allow it, he won't do it.

Because my greatest fear is that he will drive it (or someone will) and someone will get hurt.

Fuckwit angry

Hopefully it won't start.

Hopefull it isn't stolen.

Jaysus, they don't tell you this at antenatal classes, do they?

mumblechum1 Tue 02-Oct-12 04:31:33

grin at Maryz.

If it helps at all, my ds was quoted the usual £4k bollocks before he bought his car but ended up only paying £1.4k (well, I say he, of course I paid the bloody insurance) through iKube. It didn't go up whenhe passed his test so wd highly recommend having a look before making him sell his new car.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now