Help! 18th birthday present ideas needed!

(36 Posts)
singinginthelifeboats Wed 01-Feb-12 00:56:24

DPs son is 18 in March. It sounds odd but I don't know him that well - he is quite independent, often not around...DP and I don't live together either so although I think I know him pretty well through talking to DP about him, we haven't actually spent much time together. I have generally fallen back on 'tokens' for presents in the past and these have gone down well but I would like to be a bit more imaginative for his 18th. Now, of course, I could ask DP but I would like to demonstrate my fabulous ability to choose just the right present......without help!

Any suggestions? It will be a gift from me only and so I have a budget of roughly £50 I thought. He is quite sporty (rugby, skiing etc) and quite sociable. Will be off to uni this autumn.....

Please help me appear soooooo in tune with 'young people' (I have a DS but he is a bit younger) and thoughtful!

mjhughescoins Thu 14-Aug-14 21:00:42

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

sashh Sun 08-Sep-13 12:06:06

Has he got a good watch? I bought my nephew a GShock watch because he is in to camping, sailing, cycling etc. He has worn it everyday for 3 years now and never needs to take it off because it is waterproof / shockproof etc.

You will probably have to add £10 to your budget, can you stretch to that?

www.thewatchhut.co.uk/Casio-G+Shock-Blue-Data-Strap-Watch-G+2900F+2VER.html

www.hsamuel.co.uk/webstore/l/watches/brand|g-shock/

Musicaltheatremum Sat 07-Sep-13 23:15:25

My parents bought my son an engraved tankard for his 18th which was 3 days ago. He loves it. My daughter bought him vodka and southern comfort which he loves too but after 5 days of fresher's week he had gone off it. Lol

Eloise93 Sat 07-Sep-13 15:38:09

was that from www.billandbenthecartoonmen.com

Susieq59 Sat 16-Mar-13 14:35:53

Both of my sons love their Larsson and Jennings' watches. You can buy online at larssonandjennings.com

BikeRunSki Fri 01-Mar-13 18:40:34

[[ http://www.leatherman-store.co.uk/multi-tools-c27/wingman-multi-tool-p847 This]] is where I got my nephew 's engraved Leatherman. Good price, and engraving is free.

BikeRunSki Fri 01-Mar-13 18:35:13

I got my nephew an engraved Leatherman a couple of years ago for his 18th. He loves it - doing electronics at uni, he uses it all the time.

chocolateee Fri 01-Mar-13 18:30:48

Cash ! Never fails to please and believe me , there's nothing impersonal about it ... it's all they want ! I also ordered a kind of dog tag ID thing online with Happy 18th and his name stamped into it like a real military one - he loves it , never has it off him and it only cost about a fiver ... including postage ! Just google personalised ID tags.

flow4 Thu 28-Feb-13 08:22:48

My DS1 is 18 soon too. If I were to give him cash for his birthday, it would be blown in a weekend and he'd probably need his stomach pumped. hmm

The Swiss Army knife is a good idea and would go down well, but he may already have one. I bought them for both my boys as a sort of 'right of passage' thing at adolescence.

I think you are going to have to check with his mum whatever you get, I'm afraid, because boys are difficult, and by 18, most of the 'lasting' or 'significant' presents may already have been bought.

My boyfriend's mum bought me a good rucksack for my 18th. I went with her to choose it and I still have it (and would use it if I wasn't an arthritic old crock these days). It is in fact one of just three 18th birthday presents I actually remember... But I guess they may be more than £50 these days though...

tedwards Wed 27-Feb-13 22:56:27

my teenage son is 18in april im giving him the money to do what he wants with,but as you only have around£50then may i suggest you maybe pay for a sports camp,or a voucher towards it.hope you find what you want.

PourMeAVino Wed 27-Feb-13 16:54:40

Was my nephew's 18th a couple of years back and we bought him a limited edition of a bottle of Jack Daniels. There was a number of the side which you can register with on their website. He absolutely loved it and still hasn't even opened the bottle shock. He says he's saving it until the birth of his first child - bless him - he hasn't even got a girlfriend so the JD will be vintage by the time he cracks it open grin

redcrop Tue 26-Feb-13 22:32:08

Hi not sure what kind of things he may be into or whether you have bought the present but up to the 31st March you can buy a deposit for the Reading Festival for £50. I bought this for my Son (16) at Christmas and he was over the moon although he now needs to pay the balance! which is not cheap approx (£150.00)
but luckily he works so has been able to afford it.

But very cool present!

HTH xx

duongo75 Tue 26-Feb-13 10:28:23

hey there,
not sure if you've found a present already, but i recently bought a personalised tankard from a site called www.myredpacket.co.uk.
here's the direct link
www.myredpacket.co.uk/section.php/715/1/personalised-pint-tankards
They seem to have a good selection of 18th gifts
www.myredpacket.co.uk/section.php/218/1/18th-birthday-gifts-and-presents

singinginthelifeboats Sat 04-Feb-12 17:16:29

No offence taken - the cufflinks were a VERY tongue in cheek joke - I would NOT have bought them in a million years. Though I do like Paul Smith stuff on the whole - I'd probably go for a scarf if anything! DPs son does do the 'dinner jacket' kind of stuff from time to time so I might save the idea of cufflinks for nextXmas - there were some really nice, not very expensive (and tasteful!) ones on the Notonthehighstreet website.

I am, on the whole, set on the idea of a Swiss Army knife - DP will approve being an outdoorsy, camping kind of person and so is his son. I know what DP is buying him and I suspect his ex will buy something quite large so I am safe re 'doubles' so far. Good point re checking the approval of the ex though - it is a bit of a minefield but, again, she is a very outdoorsy person too so I think she will be OK.

BackforGood Fri 03-Feb-12 15:55:23

I don't like the cufflinks you linked to, but that could just be me personally - I'm not sure it's the 'right' gift for an adult to be giving a young lad - it would be better to get some with something that shows you know him personally - a football or his club emblem, or a music clef or a chess board or some little motorbikes or whateve he is in to. Naked ladies smacks a bit of "I'm trying to be down with the yoof" to me. No offence - just my opinion.

FriskyMare Fri 03-Feb-12 14:37:14

Bought for my nephews 18ths silver cufflinks, good quality leather wallet and one of those photo frames that "plays" photos iyswim. All appreciated.

Maryz Fri 03-Feb-12 14:32:06

Can I suggest as a step-parent that maybe it would be better not to go down the drink route (shot glasses/flask).

I know my kids would like them, but I also know that I would be a bit upset if anyone gave such a thing to ds1 (because he has some addiction problems). So it might be better to check with the residential parent if these types of things would cause offence to be taken (better to avoid offence if at all possible).

Also, I assume you have checked what his parents have given him? I tried to make sure that there weren't doubles of "things to keep" for my son, so one watch, one pair of cufflinks. Again avoiding conflict.

No, my DS is a complete weirdo. He seriously has it in his head that the blacksmith thing will be a good way to meet girls confused

Is yours off to Uni? Maybe some nice shot/wine/beer glasses? Or a 1994 vintage of wine/port/whisky?

singinginthelifeboats Fri 03-Feb-12 10:07:46

Oh I would so like to buy someone a blacksmiths course (and a suit of armour!)

Your DS sounds fantastic - the watch option (and a very very expensive watch option) has already been taken I'm afraid

He isn't taking a gap year (that I am aware of) but he does travel - I shall have a look for those kinds of gifts

Mine turns 18 in March too. He has asked for a) a suit of armour or b) a blacksmiths course.

I think these might be specific to him though ;)

I think I'll probably get him a fob watch engraved.

Is he into travelling? Doing a gap year or anything? You can get these fantastic world wall maps where you scratch off the countries you've been too.

notonthehighstreetdotcom has some great personalised gifts; got DP some cufflinks engraved with the coastline of where we have our holidays.

singinginthelifeboats Fri 03-Feb-12 10:00:31

I certainly have the 'I need to show how cool and in tune with DPs kids I am' issue going on (probably should be posting this in 'Relationships' or 'Step Parenting'!)

Going back to the Jules B website to see what other risque stuff I can find..... The shop isn't far from me so I can phone and see if they have things in stock you see

singinginthelifeboats Fri 03-Feb-12 09:56:54

Do I dare get these ones? They are Paul Smith!

www.julesb.co.uk/menswear-1/paul-smith-accessories-naked-662896.htm

chipandbiff Fri 03-Feb-12 09:54:44

We just had an 18th birthday in the family, and like you, I wanted the gift to be 'just right' so I could demonstrate how cool and 'down with the kids' I am.....sad?? Me?? Oh yes!! so amongst other things we got tickets to see Michael McIntyre. <short lived smug face!>
Went down a storm.
Have a look on the ticket master website?

singinginthelifeboats Fri 03-Feb-12 09:48:28

I really like the engraving idea - might have to check with DP whether the whole set of initials or just two would be good - though I do want to appear so very very clever (me? Get my ideas from MN?) and for it to be a surprise.

singinginthelifeboats Fri 03-Feb-12 09:46:07

You are so right that girls are easier on these kinds of occasions..... so typically DP has another son so I will store up these suggestions for future reference!

My DS on the other hand will be simple (of course!) but the budget will be bigger and so that helps....and with my DD, when she eventually gets there, I will be spoiled for choice apart from the fact that she is so un materialistic I will be forcing stuff on her!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now