Wordpress.com or Wordpress.org and other basic questions for a newbie

(6 Posts)
mouldycheesefan Tue 15-Nov-16 12:42:23

Hi can anyone advise on whether Wordpress.org or Wordpress.com would be better for a newbie?
Also, where csn I go to get my blog professionally designed rather than an off the shelf template, including a logo?
Do I need a mac?
What about picture editing? Not photo editing but if want to add graphics etc to pictured
I am a technical no hoped is it possible for me to do this?!!

olderthanyouthink Tue 15-Nov-16 20:41:01

Hi, I'm a web developer

I'd alway go for .ORG, it's what I work with everyday and there's much more flexibility in there. (Kudos for knowing that there's a difference)

You could ask someone like me to make a theme for you. I work for a agency which would be faaar too expensive (think ££££-£££££). But freelancer could be about £400 (that might just be me, I've never done it but have been looking into it). There's also sites like people per hour but that's probably not much different to off the shelf. There's a middle ground though of using a theme and having it customised. Similar for a logo depending on how complicated/ how many revisions.

Almost no one needs a mac, but they are pretty. (Only reason I can think of needing a mac is for iOS app development)

There's photoshop alternatives but I'm not sure what's popular among bloggers. You pay monthly for Photoshop now but it may not be worth it

I'm relatively technical but not a blogger, so I can answer some questions but not all (I have a blog, I liked making it and working on it but not using it so it's become a portfolio piece smile)

olderthanyouthink Tue 15-Nov-16 21:06:32

Also .COM doesn't allow custom themes or even third party themes and plugins.

I think an important point is that blogging can be cheap/free or it can cost, a lot. Those beautiful blogs you often see mostly didn't start like that (unless the blogger has the skills or knows a guy/girl). It may not be worth it to get a bespoke blog made when you're starting out as you likely wont have a huge readership and ad revenue.

mouldycheesefan Thu 17-Nov-16 08:11:45

Thank you so much, really appreciate your help. Great advice. 💐

olderthanyouthink Thu 17-Nov-16 23:17:37

No problem

If you've got anymore questions or what some help just ask 😊

DanielaMorris5 Fri 18-Nov-16 06:22:17

.com is mostly for newbies, but it is rather limited and not flexible. I think .org is better, but it is lil bit more expensive. You can create a blog on .com, and if everything is fine, move it to .org.
Mac is not necessary at all.
As for the themes, there are lots available in the web. Good templates are never free ( I use one of www.templatemonster.com/blog-wordpress-themes/ ), but it is you who must decide.
Good luck!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now