Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

is swine flu back ... ?

(22 Posts)
mulranno Fri 24-Feb-12 12:52:52

my daugter vv ill this week some said that a sugeon he know had said it was back..

Sparklingbrook Fri 24-Feb-12 12:53:59

My DS had the virus from hell over half term, it made me wonder. I have never seen him so ill.

nannipigg Tue 28-Feb-12 13:57:06

Our DD has been so poorly the last few weeks, very tired, sore throat, cough, sinus infection, bad stomach, achy back and the runs.......wondering what virus she has had?

xEmmyx Tue 28-Feb-12 13:59:51

My son was really ill last week, he was sick and I noticed he was sneezing alot etc but just thought it was a bug, his eyes were really heavy too and he could hardly move. I had to carry him to bed etc! I did think maybe it was swine flu and was going to take him to doctor but doctors here always make u feel bad for going to them if they just have a bug! I should have just taken him! I hope your daughter is better soon x

Haziedoll Tue 28-Feb-12 13:59:58

I don't think it went away!

Lots of nasty viruses about at the moment.

nannipigg Tue 28-Feb-12 14:15:15

DD has been suffering for nearly a year on and off with this supposed virus, she gets antibiotics and it clears, then a few days later it's back again.
I am sick of being told it's just a virus and give her calpol etc and you shouldn't bring her in as she will pass it on!!!.....she has now lost about 4kg over the last 6 months and the Doc yesterday had the cheek of lecturing me and being really nasty with me when I have been taking her to Docs every couple of months worried about both her illness and her weight/eating!!!

nannipigg Tue 28-Feb-12 14:17:06

Do Docs really know what a struggle it is to deal with a poorly child, who is unco-operative and won't eat virtually everyday. Sick to death of being at Docs, not to mention trying to get an appointment for her......3 week wait is rididculous!!

EdithWeston Tue 28-Feb-12 14:17:32

It's never gone away, though now it's considered as a seasonal flu. It was one of the strains in the most recent seasonal flu vaccines. This means that the medical consensus all along was that it is one of the strains expected to circulate this flu season.

nannipigg Tue 28-Feb-12 14:22:10

What are the symptoms or are they just normal Flu symptoms?

Musukebba Wed 29-Feb-12 08:50:14

Well unfortunately influenza A has just arrived - pretty late this year. However it is not swine flu (official name H1N1pdm) but one of the previous seasonal fluAs (H3N2). There's one or two H1N1pdm infections being detected, but in the UK the vast majority are H3N2.

The seasonal vaccine covers it fortunately.

nannipigg Sat 03-Mar-12 12:42:38

yeah but only the really ill and over 65's can get the vaccines.
They are reluctant to give it to me due to my allergic reactions....but even if I just get a common cold I am out of action for over 10 days and normally in bed for a few :-(

FilterCoffee Sat 10-Mar-12 12:12:38

"only the really ill and over 65's can get the vaccines"

You can get the flu jab from supermarkets and pharmacies in Autumn/Winter if you pay, not sure if they're doing them this time of year though.

mariahchan Tue 09-Oct-12 03:19:19

I heard that there have been accounts of swine flu/SARS in Saudi Arabia recently, but apparently it's not contagious. Hopefully this virus won't break out again and affect the global population!

BeaWheesht Tue 09-Oct-12 03:32:06

Asda are doing the flu jag for £7 at the minute. We've had swine flu before an it was sheer hell but duh has had jag at asda this year and ds and I are getting it next week as we are both asthmatic. Just wish I could get it for dd too sad

In all honesty, if you can get the vaccination I'd strongly urge you to do so. We all had it Christmas 2010 - ds ended up with pneumonia and it took months for us to get over it - in fact in not convinced ds ever really has. sad

ripsishere Thu 22-Nov-12 03:33:56

It's around in Malaysia. I had an email this morning from the school. A confirmed case of H1N1 in a 13 YO child.
The email urged us all to be alert. No suggestions as to what we are alert for though.
Me and DH had a tax for something (?H1N1) when we were living in Switzerland. I don't know whether the effects last. It was three years ago.

Mu1berryBush Thu 27-Dec-12 07:33:01

Just wondering the sam thing. i have had a fever and a tmperature and headachd for four days now. even my teeth ache.
i know i took th kids for swine flu jabs about three years ago but i can't remember if I had the vaccination or not.

dikkertjedap Mon 07-Jan-13 22:27:12

It is indeed back.

See here for Europe, first it was mainly influenza B, now it is A with slightly more H3 compared with H1.

But it is definitely back, as was anticipated, that is why it has been included in the flu vaccine.

absolutmum Thu 14-Feb-13 10:07:09

It is. A friend's husband has been in intensive care with it this week, they are in south London. Fortunately he is improving and should be home soon.

Swine Flu is not currently active in the Uk. However, Ebola is and it is much worse than Swine Flu. I would keep your children indoors if I were you, as Ebola can be caught by touching something that no-one else has touched. BE WARNED

tallulahturtle Wed 06-Mar-13 00:28:57

Bloody hell , let's not forget Bubonic plague while we're at it

rachelandphil Tue 30-Apr-13 15:32:27

Ebola in the UK - hardly...

Swine flu is active again, H7N9 this time in China, 24 dead and 125 have it - very bad.

PigletJohn Tue 28-May-13 12:03:53

i got pig flu when it was around a few years back.

at the time they were handing out pre-prepared packs of some anti-viral drug (which in my experience made a big difference in a couple of days) from local emergency dispensaries, you were not supposed to go to a doctor's surgery or a high street pharmacy in case you passed the infection on. my local one was in an out-of-town unit away from shops and offices.

As well as all the usual flu-like symptoms, the key to the diagnosis was a substantial increase in body temperature, quite sudden, came on overnight. I can't remember now how much it was, might have shot up two and a half degrees.

I recall at the time, a lot of older people, who usually are at greater risk from flu, didn't get it because they had immunity from a similar strain that was around 50 or 60 years ago.

There's always flu around, it comes back every year in a mutated form that a lot of people aren't already immune to. If you're a person who's offered the jab it's well worth having.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now