Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

pregnant, options?

(5 Posts)
GirlWithTheMouseyHair Thu 22-Sep-11 21:46:38

due DC2 end of November, I have a few friends who caught Swine Flu last year when in the latter stages of pregnancy, babies fine but they really suffered, as in the expectant mums were very ill for the week or so.

What are people doing this year?

Iggly Fri 23-Sep-11 20:59:26

I'm getting the flu jab (due beg December)

I'll also take extra care - wash hands regularly, no touching eyes or mouth. Although having a DC already will make it difficult to avoid bugs. When pregnant last time around I was very militant about hand washing etc and was ok despite people on my team at work getting it.

bumbleymummy Sat 24-Sep-11 08:36:16

Have you thought about getting your immunity tested? A high percentage of cases were completely asymptomatic or you may only have had mild symptoms. The whole 'you haven't had flu unless it completely floored you' is a myth so you may already have natural immunity.

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Mon 26-Sep-11 21:28:59

hadn't thought about immunity testing to be honest...

WishIwereAtTheWiesnProst Wed 28-Sep-11 13:12:32

I won't be having it. I didn't have it last year when pregnant with dd1 and luckily managed to avoid.

Wish I had been clever enough to get it straight after delivery- and would have done if I had known I'd be pregnant again so soon! I feel like there is only a small chance I will catch swine flu if I am careful but if I get the vaccine I am 100% risking any side effects. Several of my friends had it with no ill effects though. Depends on your idea of risk, I would hate to find out down the line it caused problems that we hadn't realised. But then I tend to not risk any medications, alcohol, etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now