Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

How long does SF last?

(4 Posts)
Marne Sun 16-Jan-11 20:11:13

Just looking for some sympahy realy sad, i have never had flu so this has hit me hard. Both dd's have it (dd1 is recovering slowlly and dd2 has just come down with it). How long does it last? i am only on day 2 and it feels like a lifetime 9i am a whimp). Also, how long do i keep the dd's off school? dd1 no longer has the fever but is still coughing and sneezing, she wants to go back to school but i have said 'no' (mainly because i cant take her as i'm too ill and i dont want her passing it on).

Any advice (or sympathy) please?

Elibean Sun 16-Jan-11 22:32:06

Poor you, lots of sympathy xxxx

Any flu tends to last at least a week, sometimes more, and the tiredness afterwards (and the cough) can go on for weeks...though not always.

Temp probably 5-7 days. dd2 has just had flu, mildly (she was vaccinated), and tonight is the 6th night - no temp for the first time. She is now very snotty, and has a cough, but being young and vaccinated, is bouncing back quite fast.

When dh had flu (not swine) years ago, he was really ill with fever for about 5-6 days, then wiped out for a week, then a bit run down for another couple of weeks.

I think it varies a lot, but just to give you some idea...hope you feel better soon, and that someone comes along to talk going back to school times/contagion with you.

A week for the main symptoms to go - days 1-3 are generally the worst. Four to six weeks for total respite from symptoms.

When you start to get back to normal eat well and sleep as much as possible.

Enormous sympathies - you knew this was coming didn't you.

Marne Mon 17-Jan-11 12:48:59

Thank you, i have managed to get out of bed and dressed today (after 2 days in bed), i feel drained but better than yesterday. Dh is now complaining of a soar throat sad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now