Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Feeling dreadful since having flu jab yesterday...

(7 Posts)
CAS77 Sat 15-Jan-11 18:35:08

Am 13 weeks pg so had flu jab yesterday. Was told I should have no side effects as vaccine is inactive - at most I might have a sore arm...BUT I gradually began feeling worse and worse throughout the day yesterday: tired, achey, headache, blocked nose and shivery. Bad night's sleep and feeling awful today. Been laid up in bed all day. Feel weak and flu type symptoms.

Has anyone else had the same? How long did it last?

That's very unusual. Most people just get a sore arm. Perhaps you have a cold. You cannot catch flu from the vaccine as it's inactive. Of course you could have caught flu at the doctors surgery as it takes between 2 and 6 weeks for immunity to occur from vax date.

May I suggest you contact the out of hours GP and ask for antivirals if you think it might be flu, in the circumstances?

Ghekogiddy Sat 15-Jan-11 20:56:34

It takes up to two weeks to achieve immunity. You may have caught flu or something up to four or five days before the jab. You can have flu type feelings after the jab but it can't give you flu.

Since you are pregnant it would be worth getting checked out by the doc.

airborne Sat 15-Jan-11 21:11:42

Hi, I just had flu jab at 8 weeks pregnant. I did not get 'flu like' symptoms as you describe but I didn't feel quite right and had diarrhea for 3 days - the stomach cramps that came along with it were really quite worrying, so much that I was cold sweating/feeling faint each time I needed the loo. But it passed after 2/3 days. I dont recall that being a side effect of the jab but it seems such a co-incidence.

If your symptoms came on all of a sudden (ie:no sniffles for a few days before) then thats an indicator of flu. (I had flu 2 weeks before I had the jab!).
Certainly would mention it to your GP,if possible by phone first to save a journey, unless you feel you really need looking at - my GP sent me away again and said there was nothing they could give me, I just had to ride it out.

jellybeans Sat 15-Jan-11 21:26:10

Next day, (as well as later on the day of vaccine) I felt tired, achey, headache, bit like a hangover. Also had sore arm. Says in leaflet this can happen in first 24-48hrs. Still, maybe worth having it checked if worried/pregnant.

Elibean Sat 15-Jan-11 22:13:51

I always get tired, achey, and have a slight temp 24 hours after a flu jab. If its the jab, it will pass very soon - take paracetamol and rest.

WMMC is right - the virus is inactive and can't possibly 'give' you flu, so if you really do have a virus, its an unlucky coincidence. The jab won't make the virus worse, but if you have a nasty cold or flu, it could diminish the efficacy of the jab, I think.

Hopefully its just a reaction and you'll be better by tomorrow!

grumpygrumps Sun 16-Jan-11 21:01:02

This reaction is apparently not unusual. My doctor said although the vaccine is not live, the response to the vaccine by the immune system is what cause the fluey symptoms.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now