Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Please Help to Secure Flu Jabs for Everyone

(80 Posts)
Freddy01 Sat 15-Jan-11 11:14:17

Hi

Please help by adding your agreement to this thread.

If we get enough people petitioning for the Swine Flu jab for everyone then the Government and NHS may do something about it but we have to try as I am beside myself with worry for my 7 year old. Here is my story so far.

Wednesay 12 January 2011 - I phoned my GP and neither my husband, my 7 year old daughter or myself are in the at risk category meaning we are not diabetic, asthmatic, pregnant or have any underlying health issues. They said that Asda and Boots were dispensing the flue jabs which contain the swin flu jab now.

Thursday 13 January 2011 - I phoned Asda in Derby Spondon and they are all sold out and not going to be getting anymore because they can't get hold of any vaccines and have no one at Asda Spondon to adminster them. They said they would only vaccine over 16 year olds because they are not licensed to vaccinate children under 16 years.

Friday 14 January 2011 - Phoned Asda Sinfin and they are all sold out and have tried to get the vaccines for 3 weeks and still trying. However, they are not vaccinating any children under 16 at the Pharmacies because they are not licensed to. Phoned Boots have sold out nationwide and cannot get hold of any.

I have told Asda and Boots that Glaxo Smithkline stated on ceefax and in the media last weekend that they had 13 million stockpile that would be available to GPS etc to order on Monday morning (that being 10 January).

Friday 14 January 2011 - phoned my GP in despair and asked yet again if they could help. They said Morrisons said that they had some left.

Friday 14 January 2011 - phoned Morrisons they had 10 left so booked myself and my husband in for vaccine. However, they are not vaccinating any children under 16 at the Pharmacies because they are not licensed to. They will dispense over the counter if you have a prescription for your child.

Friday 14 January 2011 - phoned my GP they said that the nurse will adminster the jab to my 7 year old but we would have to buy it from the pharmacy. When I said that the pharmacy said I would need a prescription from my GP they said we do not issue prescriptions for Flu Jabs. So I am stuck.

Friday 14 January 2011 - phoned Morrisons again and told them that GP would not give me a prescription as they do not give prescriptions for flu jab. Morrisons said that a lady bought in a prescription that morning for her 14 year old and they dispensed the flu jab to her to take to the doctors to have it administered. They said that the GPs are licensed to give out prescriptions for whatever drugs and vaccines they feel fit to prescribed so its the GP's choice.

Friday 14 January 2011 - after work I go to my doctors to see what they have to say to my face. The called the practice nurse and asked me to wait. Whilst waiting I broke down and had a panic attack which I have been having for the last three days. The Receptionist at the surgery gave me a number for the Public Health PCT who I am calling on Monday.

Everyone at Asda, Boots and Morrisons and my Doctors say that they agree with me and that the vaccine should be eligable for everyone. They even want to get their kids and theirselves vaccinated but can't.

I think it is disgraceful that we are being dictated to in a democratic society by the World Health Organisation, NHS and Government that we cannot protect our family even if we wish to pay for it. I'm all for paying for it but I can't get my daughter vaccinated!!!!

I think that all the Supermarket pharmacies, clinics, NHS, GPS, the pharmaceautical company who makes the vaccine and the government should get together quickly round a table have a discussion and make these available to everyone from 0 - 100 plus, either via the NHS for those who can't afford to pay and those who can pay via clinics and pharmacies.

Get rid of this red tape rubbish that is obviously killing people and ensure that everyone gets vaccinated.

They shouldn't play GOD with peoples lives.

I'm ashamed to be British right now. I feel let down by the NHS, Pharmacies and Government.

These organisations are seriously failing the British public who are trying to protect themselves and their children.

Shame on you Mr Cameron and your Government. I'll make sure I won't vote for you or Liberal Democrats next time. You are all the same say you are going to do something and then let us all down.

Now I feel the public and media should stand up and fight this and get the vaccine for everyone.

Please help by registering your vote and opionion on this thread and then Mumsnet will hopefully take this to the Government and lobby for this. But we need this quickly for everyones sake.

Thank you for reading my plight but the fight is not over yet!!! I'll keep you posted what the PCT Public Health have to say on Monday.

Ghekogiddy Sun 16-Jan-11 19:36:02

I am sure many parents would pay for the vaccine for their children if they could. Perhaps next year the NHS will take this into account and the GPs could charge for it for healthy folk.

They already do! You can find a private GP anywhere in the country who will do it for you (and stocks are available through private GPs). I can drive 30 miles down the road, pay £30 per child (2 jabs, 2 weeks apart) and have them done.

Sirzy Sun 16-Jan-11 19:43:29

NHS GPs aren't allowed to charge, and rightly so.

tholeon Sun 16-Jan-11 20:04:28

hi

OP to an extent I do understand where you are coming from. I also have on only child, conceived via ivf. He became very ill with a viral infection at four months and spent a week on a ventilator. It then emerged that he had a birth defect (his windpipe was compressed by his aorta.) He had to have a major operation to correct this, but he is now a very well toddler. He has had a few colds since with no bother. Still, viral infections in general terrify me and in particular the flu. He has been vaccinated, which makes me feel better, but it is not 100% effective by any means. It may comfort you to know that (because of my son's history) I am in touch with some parents of sick children and I know of one little baby who has a tracheostomy because of serious breathing issues, who has recovered from swine flu after a few days in hospital (not in intensive care.) The chances of your healthy seven year old dying from this are very, very remote.

Still, the thought of anything happening to our children is a horrific one and yet living with risk is something we have to learn to do.

Having said that, I am, for the moment, avoiding toddler groups and other large gatherings of small children with my son. It is quite dull but better for me than the worry. I have posted this question on another thread, but if anyone has information on the likelyhood of an average person getting swine flu, it would help me make decisions as to the way we are living our life. I am also interested in when we might normally expect the peak flu season to end..

onimolap Sun 16-Jan-11 20:16:18

The NHS acts on the advice of the JCVI in deciding vaccination policy.

The link above takes you to their official page, where you will find information about NHS vaccination policy and minutes if its meetings in 2010 (and, indeed, minutes if its meetings gong back to 1963).

It of course has no role in what is available privately.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now