Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Please Help to Secure Flu Jabs for Everyone

(80 Posts)
Freddy01 Sat 15-Jan-11 11:14:17

Hi

Please help by adding your agreement to this thread.

If we get enough people petitioning for the Swine Flu jab for everyone then the Government and NHS may do something about it but we have to try as I am beside myself with worry for my 7 year old. Here is my story so far.

Wednesay 12 January 2011 - I phoned my GP and neither my husband, my 7 year old daughter or myself are in the at risk category meaning we are not diabetic, asthmatic, pregnant or have any underlying health issues. They said that Asda and Boots were dispensing the flue jabs which contain the swin flu jab now.

Thursday 13 January 2011 - I phoned Asda in Derby Spondon and they are all sold out and not going to be getting anymore because they can't get hold of any vaccines and have no one at Asda Spondon to adminster them. They said they would only vaccine over 16 year olds because they are not licensed to vaccinate children under 16 years.

Friday 14 January 2011 - Phoned Asda Sinfin and they are all sold out and have tried to get the vaccines for 3 weeks and still trying. However, they are not vaccinating any children under 16 at the Pharmacies because they are not licensed to. Phoned Boots have sold out nationwide and cannot get hold of any.

I have told Asda and Boots that Glaxo Smithkline stated on ceefax and in the media last weekend that they had 13 million stockpile that would be available to GPS etc to order on Monday morning (that being 10 January).

Friday 14 January 2011 - phoned my GP in despair and asked yet again if they could help. They said Morrisons said that they had some left.

Friday 14 January 2011 - phoned Morrisons they had 10 left so booked myself and my husband in for vaccine. However, they are not vaccinating any children under 16 at the Pharmacies because they are not licensed to. They will dispense over the counter if you have a prescription for your child.

Friday 14 January 2011 - phoned my GP they said that the nurse will adminster the jab to my 7 year old but we would have to buy it from the pharmacy. When I said that the pharmacy said I would need a prescription from my GP they said we do not issue prescriptions for Flu Jabs. So I am stuck.

Friday 14 January 2011 - phoned Morrisons again and told them that GP would not give me a prescription as they do not give prescriptions for flu jab. Morrisons said that a lady bought in a prescription that morning for her 14 year old and they dispensed the flu jab to her to take to the doctors to have it administered. They said that the GPs are licensed to give out prescriptions for whatever drugs and vaccines they feel fit to prescribed so its the GP's choice.

Friday 14 January 2011 - after work I go to my doctors to see what they have to say to my face. The called the practice nurse and asked me to wait. Whilst waiting I broke down and had a panic attack which I have been having for the last three days. The Receptionist at the surgery gave me a number for the Public Health PCT who I am calling on Monday.

Everyone at Asda, Boots and Morrisons and my Doctors say that they agree with me and that the vaccine should be eligable for everyone. They even want to get their kids and theirselves vaccinated but can't.

I think it is disgraceful that we are being dictated to in a democratic society by the World Health Organisation, NHS and Government that we cannot protect our family even if we wish to pay for it. I'm all for paying for it but I can't get my daughter vaccinated!!!!

I think that all the Supermarket pharmacies, clinics, NHS, GPS, the pharmaceautical company who makes the vaccine and the government should get together quickly round a table have a discussion and make these available to everyone from 0 - 100 plus, either via the NHS for those who can't afford to pay and those who can pay via clinics and pharmacies.

Get rid of this red tape rubbish that is obviously killing people and ensure that everyone gets vaccinated.

They shouldn't play GOD with peoples lives.

I'm ashamed to be British right now. I feel let down by the NHS, Pharmacies and Government.

These organisations are seriously failing the British public who are trying to protect themselves and their children.

Shame on you Mr Cameron and your Government. I'll make sure I won't vote for you or Liberal Democrats next time. You are all the same say you are going to do something and then let us all down.

Now I feel the public and media should stand up and fight this and get the vaccine for everyone.

Please help by registering your vote and opionion on this thread and then Mumsnet will hopefully take this to the Government and lobby for this. But we need this quickly for everyones sake.

Thank you for reading my plight but the fight is not over yet!!! I'll keep you posted what the PCT Public Health have to say on Monday.

onimolap Sun 16-Jan-11 15:04:33

I doubt the swine flu jab will be released again - after all, it wasn't in 2010. It's only because there were stocks left over from the 2009 stockpile that it could be released as second-best as the seasonal flu shot ran out. And when the stockpile goes out of date, there will be none.

Sirzy Sun 16-Jan-11 15:07:41

I can't see them vaccintating under 5s again. It will most likely be in the normal vaccine when it is seen as a threat for that year.

wizardora Sun 16-Jan-11 15:34:52

I think the fact that they sent letters out advising parents all under 5's should be vaccinated last year has lead to a lot of worry & confusion.

The media has fanned the flames of this year's swine flu cases making it is very difficult as a parent to know what is the best course of action to protect our children, which at the end of the day is all any of us want.

Freddy01 Sun 16-Jan-11 16:40:43

I think the difference between last year and this year is the fact that more people are dying from Swine Flu who have no underlying health problems.

I don't think that vaccines should be taken away from those at risk I just think that it should be made available to everyone.

I don't think everyone should get it on the NHS either ONLY those who cannot afford to buy it.

It costs £8.95 in Asda and Morrisons and £12.99 in Boots hardly alot of money to spend to protect each child. I would ensure that I go without to ensure that my Child is vaccinated and am willing to pay for it.

Glaxo Smithkline announced last weekend that they had a 13m stockpile of vaccines available for Doctors etc to order on Monday morning.

They can make more at a drop of a hat so its not like Gold dust that you can never get it because its ran out. They can make more you know, that is what they do.

And I'm with you Wizardora.

I don't think that little girl Lana's parent would agree with some people on this thread that it shouldn't be made available to all Children and those at high risk or anyone else because if they had the chance to get their little girl vaccinated then it may have been a different story. They were brave enough to be on TV the other day and brave enough to release Lana's picture to warn people and to try to ensure that people are vaccinated. Gemma Lana's mum has pleaded for all under fives to be give the swine flu jab but the Government are refusing to change their mind.

How many more Children and Adults are put at risk for the sake of a few quid?

But the greedy bankers can spend our tax money and the MP's can rip off the public by using tax money for their extortionate expenses! If they got the money back from the bankers (billions of it) then they may be able to afford to inoculate those who cannot afford to pay for the vaccine via NHS and those who can afford it can pay for it themselves.

Sirzy Sun 16-Jan-11 16:50:26

I agree Wizidora which is why as parents we need to pretty much ignore the media and find the facts for ourselves and those facts show that if you have a healthy child (or adult) the chances are much smaller, the risk is there of course (as it is every year) but it isn't enough to a) need mass panic or b) need mass vaccination.

onimolap Sun 16-Jan-11 16:55:21

Freddy01: link to GSK announcement? There was nothing when I googled it, nor could I find anything on GSK's own website.

Sirzy Sun 16-Jan-11 17:01:30

There is 13 million of last years flu vaccine left over I assume that is what freddie meant.

That is left over because so many parents didn't get there children vaccinated last year when they had the chance! Rather ironic really!

"its my childs human right to be able to receive the vaccine every year whilst this type of flu is in circulation."

Umm what a load of bollocks. Chances of your child dying from swine flu.....ummm virtually zilch as it happens. Chances of your child dying of anthrax if exposed fucking massive. So I assume your child has the right for the pharma companies to stop working on cancer treatments to find a vax for that too. After all, it's found in the environment in England on a fairly regular basis? I assume you've also had your child immunised for Hepatitis, TB etc. hmm

You are making me very cross.

You are confusing the emotional value you place on your child on the needs of the community at large. And you are panicking unnecessarily.

Your child (or either of mine) could be struck down with cancer, a car accident, a fire, poisoning. Statistically almost all childhood deaths occur in developing countries with Africa topping the leagues, thanks for HIV and AIDs. So is it your human right to ban cars, oven cleaning fluid, matches? hmm Without wishing to be crass, you child is not a poor black African kid who lives 30+ miles from the nearest hospital and whose parents have to choose between food and treatment.

And it's not a few quid. Do you actually know how much it costs to fast manufacture vaccines - which by the way don't work terribly well in many people and don't last long even when they do work?

I suggest you get some perspective on this. If your child gets swine flu, you know what to do and live in a country where medical help is available and antivirals are available which if used early do help enormously. Even vaccinated your child will at some point probably be exposed to this virus. They might be in the 5% of the population with natural immunity, or the estimate 40% who have been previously exposed and have immunity. Or they might be one of those people who feels crappy for a few days and gets over it.

The likelihood of even being sick enough to warrant medical help is very, very small.

angry

OldieButBaddie Sun 16-Jan-11 17:22:21

They have been available in pharmacies for months
If you were so concerned why wait til now?

Oldie - because her daughter is ineligible for paid for vax. Yet they have been available from private GPs for four months now.

belgo Sun 16-Jan-11 17:26:44

Because oldie it's only now that we are being confronted with headlines telling us what a deadly illness this is. A few months ago it seemed a far off possibility, now photos of dead children are staring at us from our computer screens and newspapers.

Of course that makes people more scared now then a few months ago.

OldieButBaddie Sun 16-Jan-11 17:29:10

Oh that is rubbish
there has been so much about swine flu in the media over the past couple of years - if you were concerned you could have got vaccinated last year when supplies are plentiful

Okay, let's hear some facts then - how many children are dead and how many have had swine flu and recovered? Lots of things are potentially very dangerous. Every kid under two routinely gives themselves a potentially life threatening head injury every few weeks.

OldieButBaddie Sun 16-Jan-11 17:30:49

my dd had swine flu the summer before last
She had a temp and was crap for a few days but recovered after a week.
She is not high risk and doesn't need vaccinating against it

belgo Sun 16-Jan-11 17:41:17

Oldie is your 'that is rubbish' comment directed at me?

If so, I think you are misunderstanding me. I am not saying that loads of children have died; my point is that due to sensationalist reporting in the media, our perception of it as a disease has changed. And that is why people are panicking now, and not a few months ago.

belgo Sun 16-Jan-11 17:43:50

In fact I think only one or two children have died, and those are the photos you see on the internet. The fact that it is just one or two out of how ever many millions suddenly seems irrelevant when faced with another family's tragedy.

onimolap Sun 16-Jan-11 17:50:36

Whomovedmychocolate: here's a link to the latest data on the outbreak. It doesn't cover how many have had it and recovered in full, as not everyone goes to their GP. But the difference between rates of deaths, hospitalisations and GP visits will give a very rough idea.

One thing that is clear is that the 99/00 had far more cases and deaths than we are seeing so far this time.

Abr1de Sun 16-Jan-11 17:50:48

Both my two have had it and it wasn't a big thing. I've seen them far sicker with other bugs.

onimolap - but last year people were actively encouraged not to seek medical help - the message was 'antivirals only work if obtained very quickly and may be dangerous.' So a lot of people assumed any bad cold was flu and a lot of people who got swine flu were not sure what they'd had so didn't bother reporting it.

What I am saying is the true picture is unclear. It is unlikely the statistics can be correct if 40% of the population has immunity. Not 40% of the population (or even 35% plus 5% for natural immunity) were known to be infected. These figures are pretty much the picture describing what GPs or hospital admitting doctors feel about flu in general - unless you die, you pretty much won't get tested so you could have any old viral infection and not die and be counted as swine flu.

onimolap Sun 16-Jan-11 18:17:02

I didn't look at a comparison with last year.

onimolap Sun 16-Jan-11 18:22:33

Have been back - the reported stats for the 09/10 season are broadly pretty similar to those reportedd so for for 10/11, though the 09/10 peak was in autumn, not New Year. Stats are updated every Thursday.

So far it's a way, way smaller outbreak than 99/00.

Ghekogiddy Sun 16-Jan-11 18:28:33

There have been more people in intensive care with it this time than in the pandemic. I can totally understand why people are worried (myself included). Its not mild for everyone, if you have had it mild you are very lucky. Many are bedded for weeks with taking months to fully recover.

Normal seasonal flu does not usually kill as many young or healthy people.

Sirzy Sun 16-Jan-11 18:34:07

They do test people in hopsitals and they are the cases severe enough to be reported iyswim.

People are bedded for weeks every year recovering from flu that is nothing new.

What proportion of the deaths were from previously healthy people? I thought it was only a tiny proportion.

Sirzy Sun 16-Jan-11 18:35:03

And if you have had it mild you are like most. I would say those who end up seriously ill are unlucky rather than those who get it mild being lucky

I know you didn't look at a comparison with last year but I'm saying you can't compare any stats because they are all fundamentally flawed by only creating a partial picture. They show 'of those people who sought medical help and were assumed because of their (self reported) symptoms to have swine flu, what were their outcomes'.

Sirzy - they do test in hospital. However whether you caught the virus in hospital is another case in point - you could have gone in with a D&V virus, been laid low and flu taken hold etc. But I agree it's those who are seriously ill that are unlucky rather than those of us who just get a week in bed who are lucky.

FWIW I have had it, confirmed once (swabs) and probably twice - the children got something a second time and the GP said 'swine flu' and I said 'nahhhhh' and then went down with it myself (serves me right for being arrogant!)

Either time it was pretty horrid for a while, first time seven days, second time, three days. Post viral recovery period of four weeks with both.

I think what's killing people is getting it on top of the usual shit that's flying around this time of year (pneumovirus for example). Flu will give your immune system a severe kicking, flu closely followed by or preceded by another RSV is more likely to be deadly.

And maybe we need to get sick because then we build up immunity. I don't want to live in a sterile colony where everyone is frightened to get a cold. The vast majority of such infections do not kill. They merely temporarily incapacitate and while it's bloody scary when it happens to your child, by and large, it lasts a week then gets better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now