Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Please Help to Secure Flu Jabs for Everyone

(80 Posts)
Freddy01 Sat 15-Jan-11 11:14:17

Hi

Please help by adding your agreement to this thread.

If we get enough people petitioning for the Swine Flu jab for everyone then the Government and NHS may do something about it but we have to try as I am beside myself with worry for my 7 year old. Here is my story so far.

Wednesay 12 January 2011 - I phoned my GP and neither my husband, my 7 year old daughter or myself are in the at risk category meaning we are not diabetic, asthmatic, pregnant or have any underlying health issues. They said that Asda and Boots were dispensing the flue jabs which contain the swin flu jab now.

Thursday 13 January 2011 - I phoned Asda in Derby Spondon and they are all sold out and not going to be getting anymore because they can't get hold of any vaccines and have no one at Asda Spondon to adminster them. They said they would only vaccine over 16 year olds because they are not licensed to vaccinate children under 16 years.

Friday 14 January 2011 - Phoned Asda Sinfin and they are all sold out and have tried to get the vaccines for 3 weeks and still trying. However, they are not vaccinating any children under 16 at the Pharmacies because they are not licensed to. Phoned Boots have sold out nationwide and cannot get hold of any.

I have told Asda and Boots that Glaxo Smithkline stated on ceefax and in the media last weekend that they had 13 million stockpile that would be available to GPS etc to order on Monday morning (that being 10 January).

Friday 14 January 2011 - phoned my GP in despair and asked yet again if they could help. They said Morrisons said that they had some left.

Friday 14 January 2011 - phoned Morrisons they had 10 left so booked myself and my husband in for vaccine. However, they are not vaccinating any children under 16 at the Pharmacies because they are not licensed to. They will dispense over the counter if you have a prescription for your child.

Friday 14 January 2011 - phoned my GP they said that the nurse will adminster the jab to my 7 year old but we would have to buy it from the pharmacy. When I said that the pharmacy said I would need a prescription from my GP they said we do not issue prescriptions for Flu Jabs. So I am stuck.

Friday 14 January 2011 - phoned Morrisons again and told them that GP would not give me a prescription as they do not give prescriptions for flu jab. Morrisons said that a lady bought in a prescription that morning for her 14 year old and they dispensed the flu jab to her to take to the doctors to have it administered. They said that the GPs are licensed to give out prescriptions for whatever drugs and vaccines they feel fit to prescribed so its the GP's choice.

Friday 14 January 2011 - after work I go to my doctors to see what they have to say to my face. The called the practice nurse and asked me to wait. Whilst waiting I broke down and had a panic attack which I have been having for the last three days. The Receptionist at the surgery gave me a number for the Public Health PCT who I am calling on Monday.

Everyone at Asda, Boots and Morrisons and my Doctors say that they agree with me and that the vaccine should be eligable for everyone. They even want to get their kids and theirselves vaccinated but can't.

I think it is disgraceful that we are being dictated to in a democratic society by the World Health Organisation, NHS and Government that we cannot protect our family even if we wish to pay for it. I'm all for paying for it but I can't get my daughter vaccinated!!!!

I think that all the Supermarket pharmacies, clinics, NHS, GPS, the pharmaceautical company who makes the vaccine and the government should get together quickly round a table have a discussion and make these available to everyone from 0 - 100 plus, either via the NHS for those who can't afford to pay and those who can pay via clinics and pharmacies.

Get rid of this red tape rubbish that is obviously killing people and ensure that everyone gets vaccinated.

They shouldn't play GOD with peoples lives.

I'm ashamed to be British right now. I feel let down by the NHS, Pharmacies and Government.

These organisations are seriously failing the British public who are trying to protect themselves and their children.

Shame on you Mr Cameron and your Government. I'll make sure I won't vote for you or Liberal Democrats next time. You are all the same say you are going to do something and then let us all down.

Now I feel the public and media should stand up and fight this and get the vaccine for everyone.

Please help by registering your vote and opionion on this thread and then Mumsnet will hopefully take this to the Government and lobby for this. But we need this quickly for everyones sake.

Thank you for reading my plight but the fight is not over yet!!! I'll keep you posted what the PCT Public Health have to say on Monday.

MainlyMaynie Sat 15-Jan-11 20:29:58

The reason there aren't enough vaccines is that last year's media scare story was about the 'untested' swine flu vaccine stuffed full of mercury and unpleasantness. So take up was low and orders were lower based on the expectation of lower take up. Then the media changed its scare story to being a vaccine shortage and now everyone wants a bloody vaccine whether they need one or not.

Freddy01 Sat 15-Jan-11 21:17:28

Thanks for all your messages.

For those of you who have stated that I am being over anxious then yes I probably am, but I have one daughter and had a miscarriage a few years ago and before I had my daughter the chances of me having a child was 50/50 so you can see why I am protective of my child.

I didn't say that those who could afford it take the vaccines away from those at risk and need it.

I said that it should be made available to everyone who wants it whether for those who cannot afford it or at risk via the NHS or for those who can afford it to buy it.

It wouldn't be difficult to organise if only there were people in the NHS and Government of being able to organise things!

The Government and NHS waste money on a daily basis but when it comes to saving peoples lives it should be about whether they can afford £8.00. Which equates to £480m for 60m people which is far far less than what the Government have funded bailing out the Banks!!

Also the Flu Vaccine this year contains the swine flue vaccine its all in one.

The chances of children cathing Measles or Mumps or Meningitis are slim these days too but Children are still vaccinated against them because if they catch it then it could kill them. Flu is more common yet they are not vaccinating children for it unless they are over 5 and at a higher risk.

Does this make sense to you?

Sirzy Sat 15-Jan-11 21:21:27

Have you been so desperate to get your child vaccinated every other year or is it just because of the media hype that you are all of a sudden so desperate?

MainlyMaynie Sat 15-Jan-11 21:39:36

No it doesn't make sense. The fact is there aren't any more vaccines to be bought, so it wouldn't matter how organised they were. And it's not lack of organisation anyway, expert medical advice is that not everyone needs the vaccine.

I can't believe you are comparing flu to meningitis, for the vast majority of people flu is simply nowhere near as serious. I really think you need to calm down and try to deal with your anxiety, rather than try and spend half a billion pounds of our money to deal with it.

wizardora Sat 15-Jan-11 21:40:32

I agree with you Freddy, I think it should be available to all who want it.

It is perfectly understandable for any parent to feel anxious about this when it is making headline news daily.

Although to a certain extent it's media scare mongering, it has clearly still managed to hit a raw nerve with a lot of parents.

Sirzy Sat 15-Jan-11 21:43:36

Where are all these vaccines coming from? Someone got magic powers to click there fingers and make them appear?

As it is there aren't enough for everyone who is at risk and they HAVE to be priority surely? DS is 14 months and at risk and got the last vaccines in the practise, others have been unable to get it.

MainlyMaynie Sat 15-Jan-11 21:54:18

There will be a petition and then it will make the feather bedded civil servants get organised and they will make the effort to call the pharmaceutical companies and the companies will... Oh, say they still haven't got any, just like when they called last week.

Freddy01 Sat 15-Jan-11 21:55:11

Exactly people have been unable to get the vaccine because not enough has been made by the Company that makes it.

People are missing the point here. I said it should be made available to everyone who wants it or who needs it.

Yes the media coverage is frightening and yes I tried to get us vaccinated last year but couldn't and it wasn't available in the pharmacies last year as far as I'm aware just via the Doctor.

My anxiety is easing but please don't tell me I am anxious for nothing because I don't think I am.

Try telling that to the little Children's parents who have lost their Children and the families of the adults who have lost their loved ones to Flu and Swine Flu that they are being anxious over nothing, they would be disgusted and to hear that.

Pharmaceutical companies earn billions of pounds a year so please don't tell me that they can't make enough vaccines. Its just that the Government haven't ordered enough! sad

For those in support thank you for your comments it is much appreciated.

For those not in support thank you for your comments which have been noted and you are like everyone else entitled to your opinion. wink

Sirzy Sat 15-Jan-11 21:59:58

The pharmaceutical companies will still want paying so I don't understand why how much they make is relevant?

People die all the time, including children, its tragic but it doesn't mean its time to panic. DS came close to dying at 8 weeks old from bronchiolitis but it doesn't mean that every other parent needs to start panicking because of it.

There have been very few deaths from flu this year (just over a hundred out of the entire population) and even fewer in children yet all of a sudden people are in panic mode. Its nothing but daft I am afraid. More people will die in road accidents than of flu.

I am sure you could always buy some cotton wool and wrap yourselves all up?

Freddy01 Sat 15-Jan-11 22:16:23

Sirzy I think that you will find just over 100 have died from swine flu or suspected swine flu with complications however, flu itself kills up to 250,000 people a year and a paramedic told me that last year when my Mum contracted Pneumonia and they suspected it was swine flu.

I am sorry to hear about your DS and am pleased that he has recovered. Bronchiolitis is also a very nasty illness.

What I am fighting for is the principal of the issue. We should be able to protect our families. If you could have protected your 8 week old son from Bronchiolitis I am sure you would have done everything you could to have prevented it if you had the chance to.

As with Car accidents, drivers are and should be in control of their cars which can prevent accidents so its not really the same issue.

But nice debating with you. smile

Sirzy Sat 15-Jan-11 22:28:50

Your missing everyone points it seems and ignoring the facts and practicalities of the situation and getting caught in the media storm as so many are

MentalMickie Sat 15-Jan-11 22:35:52

Op, where do you want them to get the vaccine from when There isn't any left?

Freddy01 Sat 15-Jan-11 22:46:48

No I like millions of other parents want to protect my family or at least be able to be given the choice and chance to protect my family.

Media brings topics to peoples attention that's all. yes it gets hyped up but I would still like the chance to be able to protect my child, whether people like it or not its that plain and simple.

As a parent it is my human right to be able to protect my child?

Everyone bangs on about human rights so its my human right to protect my child and its my childs human right to be able to receive the vaccine every year whilst this type of flu is in circulation.

Some of you are with me and some of you aren't. Those who aren't do not need to post comments on this thread they can go and start their own thread and write comments on there.

Like I said everyone is entitled to their own opinion but you don't need to slate me for having mine.

Memoo Sat 15-Jan-11 22:53:50

But where do you want them to get the vaccine from? its a good question

MainlyMaynie Sat 15-Jan-11 23:06:24

Umm, people don't need to start their own threads. You post about something and we answer with our own thoughts, that's how forums work. And as you want to spend half a billion pounds of OUR money on something utterly unnecessary, we're all entitled to have a view. You have no human right to have the state supply items to try and deal with your anxiety. Once you get this vaccine, there will always be something else to worry about. Honestly, dealing with the anxiety would be more effective.

CupcakesHay Sat 15-Jan-11 23:07:26

Would you rather the government spent money put aside for Cancer treatment on giving out not 100% neccesary swine flu jabs?

Or would you rather they cut the education budget to spend the money on swine flu jabs for everyone?

As for Human Rights - have you actually been to a disaster zone or a war zone - or seen a refugee camp? Not wishing to go all high and mighty on you - but if you have you might not think you had it so bad.

I'd consider staying in your house or buying a mask and gloves when you go out - that might help prevent the swine flu being spread to you and your family.

WilfShelf Sat 15-Jan-11 23:13:06

Do you have the right to protect your child at some other child's expense? Which ill child would you choose to suffer instead of yours? The one with asthma who can't get jabbed because the worried well have bought all the vaccine? The child with kidney failure who can't get a transplant for lack of funds? The child overseas dying of flu in a poor country where there is NO healthcare and no vaccines at all because rich countries have demanded to be first in the list of global allocations?

It isn't all about you.

CupcakesHay Sat 15-Jan-11 23:14:32

Good point wifshelf - and much more eloquently put than i was able to!

onadietcokebreak Sat 15-Jan-11 23:19:43

I will you actually need to address your anxiety issues.

onadietcokebreak Sat 15-Jan-11 23:20:39

Will * think

wizardora Sun 16-Jan-11 10:13:12

I have been told by my GP that there are in fact plenty of vaccines stock piled, the shortage issue has been caused by poor organisation, not a national shortage.

No one is debating that those with underlying health conditions shouldn't be first on the list with the NHS which they are simply that it should have been properly organised so that there is enough vaccine to go around for all children, which there would be - at no extra cost - if it had been properly organised.

Lulumaam Sun 16-Jan-11 12:00:41

totally agree wilf

to the OP, you cannot dictate that only people who agree with your can post

your idea is not workable or reasonable, it's not realistic or even necessary

wizardora Sun 16-Jan-11 12:33:16

The government recommended it for all under 5's last year, this year they aren't, and next year my GP said they likely will... so which year were they being unreasonable?

onimolap Sun 16-Jan-11 12:39:32

Wizadora: not exactly.

The seasonal flu jab has never been recommended on NHS for under 5s.

The 2009 single strain vax was a one-off because of the atypical nature and timing of the spread of a newly-emerged strain about which little was then known.

wizardora Sun 16-Jan-11 15:00:29

I realise the seasonal flu jab has never been recommended for healthy under 5's, but the swine flu jab has been, and according to my GP likely will be again next year, although I would imagine without the seasonal flu element.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now