Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Symptoms advice

(23 Posts)
LeninGrad Thu 13-Jan-11 18:38:25

DS1 (4.5) suddenly got a high temp this afternoon (39.5), took a while to get down with ibuprofen, said his legs hurt, went to the loo twice in quick succession (not diarrhoea) and has developed a cough now. All this in about two hours.

We're alternating ibuprofen with paracetamol and he's played for the last hour or two after looking like he might go straight to sleep earlier.

Anyone know what we should keep an eye on this evening/ overnight?

He did have the SF jab last year, not this year though (not offered here).

Ghekogiddy Thu 13-Jan-11 18:50:45

That is a high temp so keep an eye on him. Flu does come on suddenly. Would think he would still have some protection from last year's jab for a bit longer.

Watch out for him getting out of breath or the temp going higher. Obviously look out for any rashes, headache etc.

You can use calpol with ibuprofen if need be.

If in any doubt get him checked out.

LeninGrad Thu 13-Jan-11 19:04:57

Thanks, that was what I was thinking/ hoping, just surprised it took a while to get his temp down, normally happens quite quickly after medicine.

Must look up the symptoms, presume we should worry if he's sick alongside developing a sudden cough.

LeninGrad Thu 13-Jan-11 19:04:58

Thanks, that was what I was thinking/ hoping, just surprised it took a while to get his temp down, normally happens quite quickly after medicine.

Must look up the symptoms, presume we should worry if he's sick alongside developing a sudden cough.

Ghekogiddy Thu 13-Jan-11 19:11:22

Not all cases have the sickness/diarrhoea. There are a lot of other nasty bugs doing the rounds at the mo. Just make sure he stripped down. No cold baths tho, it has been proven they can make temp worse.

A very high temp sometimes takes bit of persuasion to come down, would have him seen tomorrow if his temp stays this high. If his cough gets worse or he gets out of breath or wheezy i would have him reviewed.

We were too late for tamiflu so had to ride it out lol, we both got antibiotics for secondary chest infection and steriods.

Ghekogiddy Thu 13-Jan-11 19:13:54

My little one used to spike high temps when she was under five, think 41.5 was her record, scary stuff.

LeninGrad Thu 13-Jan-11 19:25:40

We had a few weeks of illness before Christmas but nothing that made him just stop like today. The medicine is working and he's bright enough atm but will keep an eye on his temp and this cough, thanks.

LeninGrad Thu 13-Jan-11 19:25:40

We had a few weeks of illness before Christmas but nothing that made him just stop like today. The medicine is working and he's bright enough atm but will keep an eye on his temp and this cough, thanks.

dikkertjedap Thu 13-Jan-11 21:51:49

Keep a close eye and especially if the cough is uncontrollable and/or breathing difficulties. This can happen quite quickly and if it happens then call ambulance straight away if you are not very close to hospital rather than taking in car as oxygen might be needed during journey already (just been in this situation with dd). DON'T UNDERESTIMATE THIS FLU, IT IS NASTY. We have just returned from hospital, was a very stressful time, but luckily enough we were in time. Hope you don't have to go through this, but I would keep a close eye on him during night as well, maybe keep him with you in bed.

Ghekogiddy Thu 13-Jan-11 22:10:49

dikkertjedap did your dd have the flu jab?

LeninGrad Thu 13-Jan-11 22:18:25

Thanks, sorry to hear about that, must have been very worrying. His temp is still over 39 despite alternating ibuprofen and paracetamol. He's asleep now but one of us will be in with him and watching, I'm next to him now. DP won't sleep a wink no doubt, whilst I go and see to DS2 when needed.

Marne Fri 14-Jan-11 08:39:39

Hope he's feeling better this morning, dd1 is the same, she was poorly last weekend (high temp, head ach, achy joints), she went back to school wed as seemed fine and then last night she woke me with a temp of 40. I managed to get it down to 38.0 with calpol. She's still asleep now (have tried to wake her, she looks at me a goes back to sleep), its very unlike her to sleep past 7am. When should i be worried and call the GP? i know the advice is to treat as any other cold/flu but its horrid to watch her like this sad.

I don't think it is uncommon for people to feel better after 3 or so days of flu then to feel worse again but might be worth phoning the GP Marne. (I would)

Marne Fri 14-Jan-11 08:54:19

Thank you, i have just phoned them (waiting for a gp to call back), her temp has gone down to 37.9 but she's still complaing of a head ach and keeps falling back to sleep. Just wish i could give her something to make her better, calpol and nurofen seem to help the temp but not the achs and pains.

dikkertjedap Fri 14-Jan-11 11:15:06

Ghekogiddy yes, dd had flu jab but only three days before she got ill, so basically too late as it takes two weeks after the jab to produce enough anti-bodies. She is much better now thanks to the hospital's quick handling,however her recovery will be many weeks (at the moment she is still so exhausted she doesn't even want to come out of bed during the day ... she is also on very strong antibiotics for the next 10 days).

dikkertjedap Fri 14-Jan-11 11:16:43

and she did have pandemrix (only one dose and not booster due to high fever) and separate flu jabs in December 09 as well.

LeninGrad Fri 14-Jan-11 12:56:18

He still had a high temperature this morning (was 40 in the night) so we took him to the doctor and she said it's flu. We have a plan and will see how we get on. Thanks for all the advice.

Elibean Fri 14-Jan-11 17:08:00

Glad you got seen, LeninGrad, and hope ds better soon.

Dikker, how scary - I'm sorry, hope your dd continues to improve and feels better soon, and Marne's dd better soon too.

My youngest dd (just 4) had sudden onset high temp on Monday night - still spiking from time to time now, but she's much better in herself (not shaking anymore or saying 'my hands hurt mummy'!). She was vaccinated (trivalent vaccine) in October, but it could still be flu, couldn't it? No cough though, just a runny nose now.

LeninGrad Fri 14-Jan-11 17:58:59

I have heard you can still get it even if you've have the vaccination, surely it couldn't be as bad though I wouldn't have thought. Mine has hardly got up since he got back from the doc's at midday. Slept for about 2-3 hours, on the second viewing of Robots.

He did eat a few forkfulls of food but mostly just ice pops and water and milk. At least his lips don't look dry anymore. Just gave him a proper dose of paracetamol and he doesn't feel as hot.

Elibean Fri 14-Jan-11 20:47:24

Poor little lad. Ice pops definite boon, with flu.

Yes, you can still get it - I remember dh had it one year, and I caught it from him: I'd been vaccinated, so had a lower temp and lasted fewer days. I just wondered as no cough...but hey ho, the thick yellow snot and cough have started now hmm

And dd1 has nits for the first time, oh joy: poor dd2 is going to have flu and nit treatment tomorrow!

JoyceBarnaby Thu 10-Feb-11 09:52:21

I've been reading this thread because I'm wondering if DS has some sort of flu.

Marne - how is your DD? I ask specifically because DS was ill for about 3 days (high temp, aches and pains, v lethargic etc) seemed to perk up and a day later (last night) his temperature went up again, he had a restless night last night and didn't wake up till 9:30 this morning. This sounds very similar to your DD and wondered if you had any advice?

Thanks x

lucybrad Thu 10-Feb-11 15:42:29

sounds like what we had but its flu b, which is the most common flu at the moment. Still a nasty little bug but not as deadly, watch out for the secondary chest infection, which you may notice as prolonged cough (after about 2 weeks DS still had the really bad cough whereas my other DS was getting better). Calpol and nurofen!!

JoyceBarnaby Thu 10-Feb-11 18:14:47

Thanks lucybrad. I've noticed a cough has started to make itself known, so that makes sense.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now