Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

reaction to vaccine

(16 Posts)
jellybeans Sat 29-Jan-11 21:47:30

I had to have 2 as well. I am on the at risk list for immune disorders. I also didn't have single swine flu last year, wasn't diagnosed then so not offered it last time. I am not sure why but some people are offered two. I did get some side effects from the just swine flu one but they only lasted about 2 days and weren't too bad, sore arm, hangover type of rough feeling.

alypaly Tue 25-Jan-11 00:09:09

dont understand why they have given 2 as this years vaccine contains the WHO recommended strains and the H1N1?????????

enimod Wed 12-Jan-11 19:51:33

i have just read the link above- i think it seems right.
my son did not have the vaccine last year-therefore does require both vaccines.
it is awfully scary that i put my trust in doctors and nurses and yet i didnt and still dont know the true informatio- i feel like a neglectful mum-i still dont know exactly which vaccines he had-the make of them etc.
i do know that he has to go back on the 8th february for some more.

reading that link above- should i have had the vaccine too-as i am his main care giver and breastfeeder.

enimod Wed 12-Jan-11 19:42:05

i am none the wiser-i rang the doctor- he said his notes said the nurse had injected his left leg with swine flu-i said no he had two injections, one in each leg- i said she had told me it was swine flu and seasonal flu. he was not sure-he said maybe the protocol had changed!! i asked him to find out for me-he said a nurse would ring back.
i had to go out on the school run- i spoke to another mum and her son has also had 2 flu jabs as my son has- and he is also the same age and has similar chest problems.
i am ringing up straight away in the morning to find out.
on the positive side of things my son is a lot better- his fever is down and he is not crying all the time nor grumbling.

bubbleymummy Wed 12-Jan-11 18:25:04

Thanks! It seems v strange - but it just seems to be those in the usual seasonal flu at risk groups and I don't think the OP's son is in that category. Maybe a doctor can come along and straighten it out for us

On page 6 in table 1.
I dunno why you would need both?!

bubbleymummy Wed 12-Jan-11 17:52:07

Oybbk, I can't see where it says you need to have both vaccines at the same time. The trivalent vaccine has swine flu in it already so why would you get both?

Ghekogiddy Wed 12-Jan-11 16:55:21

so did he get the seasonal jab (which contains H1N1) plus a separate H1N1 injection? This would be a double dunt.

dikkertjedap Wed 12-Jan-11 14:50:42

odd that he had one separate for swine flu, maybe he had pandemrix? DD got very unwell from pandemrix (high uncontrollable fever), paed thought due to adjuvant she was not allowed to have the booster. She had normal seasonal jab this year which contains swine flu but no adjuvant - she had a red mark on leg for a few days but apart from that no fever, no discomfort. I would be careful with given the booster for the pandemrix if he has such a strong reaction, but without the booster his protection is of course severely reduced ...

Hope he feels better soon.

not true bubbley, check out theguidelines on page 6.

A child between 6 months and 5 years should have both at the same time if they are in a risk group and not previously had the monovalent jab.

bubbleymummy Wed 12-Jan-11 12:17:12

This year's seasonal flu vaccine contains the swine flu strain. Last year it did not so they gave the seasonal flu vaccine AND a separate swine flu vaccine. This year you should only need the one unless they ate trying to use up last year's vaccines hmm I would give them a ring and find out exactly what they gave him.

enimod Wed 12-Jan-11 12:03:59

one for normal flu and one for swine flu. have they done it wrong.

bubbleymummy Wed 12-Jan-11 11:54:26

Good that he is feeding and that his fever is coming down. Why did they give him two vaccines?

enimod Wed 12-Jan-11 11:47:59

i will ring up and ask-they didnt record it in his red book. he is asleep-breastfeeding as we speak-doesnot feel warm now but cool.

bubbleymummy Wed 12-Jan-11 11:46:20

Which vaccine did he have? Do you know the name of it?

enimod Wed 12-Jan-11 10:17:17

my 14 month old had the two flu jabs yesterday and has 2 more in 2 weeks time. he was fine for the first 10 hours but woke at 8pm screaming, very hot, uncomfortable-he has sinc ethen been unable to get comfy and has had a temperature-been crying runny nose etc, i have given him calpop but he still is unwell. i am concerned because he had febrile convulsions when he was 6 months old- is this the normal reaction to the vaccine

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now