Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

swine flu situation for under 5s worrying me BUT NO vaccine available for them.

(226 Posts)
waitingwaiting Tue 04-Jan-11 12:28:11

Hi
I've got a one year old and a 3 year old. 3 year old going back to Nursery School tomorrow. I must admit that I am very worried about the swine flu situation for the under 5s.

According to the Daily Mirror (30th Jan)the Swine flu is at epidemic levels for children aged 1-5 and paedriatric hospitals are close to 'not coping' - and the Telegraph (31 dec) also reports the same - Critically ill include 42 children under 5 and flu levels have doubled with that age group.

Okay, I guess parents have very differing views on this but I must say that I am rather concerned...

I've tried absolutely loads of avenues to see if I can get the vaccine for my under 3 year old with No success what so ever.

Boots/supermarkets etc wont give it, they will however dispense it under prescription for GP to adminster But my GP wont do a prescription. Bupa wont do it. In fact everywhere I try wont.

All I want to do is try to protect my family but just dont know how. The flu jabs have traditionally been offered for the elderly as thats the age the flu has affected before, however now we have a different strain of flu which does target the young however no one seems to want to protect the young and offer the vaccine.

It was offered to pregnant women last year and in turn protected the unborn baby, which I had, however now my baby is one years old, its as if its no longer important as no one will be prepared to protect her from the flu, despite the fact that she could be very poorly if she had it. Is it worth risking even one childs life? no. I dont think so.

Anyway, I'm rambling on a bit here, point is I want to protect my children and get them vaccinated but just cant. Anyone else in the same situation? and how do you feel about it? Why is it that all adults can easily get protected, yet children cant?

Many thanks

Nicola

bubbleymummy Thu 20-Jan-11 18:26:41

dikker - 11 deaths in 5-14 year olds and 7 in under 5s. Of course every death is tragic but out of all the thousands of children who have caught swine flu this is a tiny minority. Many of these children were immunocompromised too so the risk to healthy children is even less. Does this really warrant all the panic buying of vaccines for healthy children? How many children die every year of complications from seasonal flu? No one rushes out to get their healthy child vaccinated against that every year so IMO people are over reacting to a very very small risk simply because the media are running away with scaremongering stories.

Sirzy Thu 20-Jan-11 18:10:58

To compare this to rivens case is nothing short of disgusting tbh.

Stats on deaths via flu are available for every year and most years more are reported than for this year.

dikkertjedap Thu 20-Jan-11 17:41:12

It is as Prof Hugh Pennington says, these deaths in children are preventable deaths. We don't know how many people normally die from flu because this information is not recorded. What we do know is that this flu disproportionately affect people under 65. I do believe that this is a big difference. Although awful when a loved one dies, older people ultimately have to die of something. With this flu we are talking about young people, whose deaths could be prevented. I get sick and tired with this attitude that it doesn't matter, it was this same attitude that left my dd gravely ill. What bothers me about the current climate in the UK is the lack of care, care about young people, care about disabled people (see Riven's threat). Nothing seems to matter any more.

bubbleymummy Thu 20-Jan-11 16:59:08

Oh dear dikker - I'm sorry that your DD was ill but you are seriously exaggerating the risks. This is not a 'nasty flu' in fact it has killed fewer people than seasonal flu and only a tiny proportion in comparison to more recent epidemics. Flu - any flu CAN be nasty for SOME people. 100 deaths across GB is not something to be fretting about. Do you usually worry about flu every year? You could just as easily get sick from that, catch pneumonia etc.

dikkertjedap Thu 20-Jan-11 16:13:59

we also have to be realistic. DD had flu, then pneumonia and nearly died. Flu a very mild illness????????????? This is a nasty flu and the real number of deaths is a huge underestimate as those who die from secondary infections following flu are not being counted and the likelihood of dying of a secondary infection once weakened from flu is much much greater than dying from flu itself. Dd does not have underlying illness, by the way. This is not hysteria, this is facing up to the fact that you are much more likely to die in the UK from flu or flu related illness then on the continent.

bubbleymummy Thu 20-Jan-11 11:52:02

Thanks sirzy. Maybe we should start a thread with all the positive stories to try to counteract the negative ones that are being publicised!

Sirzy Thu 20-Jan-11 11:03:56

My 2 year old nephew has just had flu. 2 weeks later he is pretty much fine, he has asthma aswell and although he was poorly with it it was never panic stations poorly or hospital poorly.

As bubbleymummy said I really think people need to stop pancing about something that is really a tiny risk.

bubbleymummy Thu 20-Jan-11 10:33:17

leopardbaby - that is because there is no difference between the symptoms! Flu is flu. Some people will have it badly, some won't show any symptoms at all. Your children may already have had it without you even realising.

When are people going to calm down about this? I can't wait until spring.

dibbydobby Thu 20-Jan-11 09:57:22

Parkside Hospital in Wimbledon does the jab for children, and also does the jab for adults. the adult ones are pretty cheap (£20 I think) but the children ones more pricey as you see a paediatrican...not sure exactly how much and they use the one that is preservative free so they need two shots a month apart.

leopardbaby Wed 19-Jan-11 22:09:59

Swine Flu

Had a debate about this at work today, A couple of collegues had flu last week and were very ill -both said NHS 24 were not clear if symptoms were ordinary flu or swine flu. Both collegues thought they were going to die - they felt very ill. If this is what it does to an adult - what chance does the under fives have. Under 5's should be vacinated asap just to be on the safe side, I am so worried my children are going to catch this flu that is going about.

bubbleymummy Wed 19-Jan-11 11:38:17

Stablelass if you need information go to the hpa website. They release weekly swine flu updates every Thursday. There is also a link on one of the other threads to one of the nhs websites that shows that the swine flu fatality rate for last year was 0.026%. The majority of deaths were in immunocompromised people and very few were children. The risk to your child is very very small. I agree that more information should be available to balance out all the media hype.

Stablelass Wed 19-Jan-11 00:35:20

My GP refused the SF vaccine to my 18-month old last week as he didn't fall in the strict criteria set by government.
But he had pneumonia last year and I saw in hospital how bad SF can be for little ones, so I contacted my MP and threatened to ring the media.
Had a call 2 hours later to say that the government's criteria had JUST changed and he could now be vaccinated as he had been hospitalised for lung infection.
They have lots of the single vaccine (stockpiled last year) but said they couldn't give the seasonal flu vaccine as it isn't licensed for under 18's.
They did say that loads of parents wanted the vaccine but were being turned down - even if children probably had asthma but were not formally diagnosed.
My MP's office said it was something the government were looking at so we all need to get onto MPs etc and make a fuss to get this policy changed.
Parents need to be able to make an informed choice but at the mo we have no information and no choice.

bethan37 Mon 17-Jan-11 12:50:02

Anyone for the midlands area, birmingham?
Thanks

enid1 Sun 16-Jan-11 23:37:30

Hi
i got a 6 month old daughter who is on a blue inhaler but not dignosed with asthma because she to young, but gp will not give her swine flu jab, we live in the merthyr tydfil area does anyone know where i can go to pay private around this area thanks

TCOB Fri 14-Jan-11 19:58:28

Re chidlren's vaccines: Asda can only do over 18s without prescription. You need a doctor's prescription for children. This is where the pushy bit comes. I had a very reasonable conversation with my doctor about mny fears and they wrote a private i.e. paid-for prescription. All had it today. PLEASE push if you really want this and be prepared to drive a long way (160 miles in total but gee I feel better!).

all4u Fri 14-Jan-11 09:22:08

I am puzzled that the authorities go on about handwashing but only the Red Cross site mentions the real risky activity - touching the face with contaminated hands! It would be far more helpful if they said a)when out limit your children from touching surfaces - we all use 'don't touch' after all! It is near impossible to stop young children from touching their faces but woolly mittens when out in winter seem to have an effect. My 12 yr old DD is a terrible nose rubber and I am nagging her to change this habit - and she is trying!
Parents should trust their instincts on this - especially where you know their is evidence of a susceptibility as government has to stick to general advice on the side of reassuring. Decide on what you can live with and keep your ear to the ground...

Buckley Fri 14-Jan-11 09:15:13

Good morning, can anyone advise me on where I can get the swine flu jab for my two year old in the Cheshire/Manchester area please?

thanks you.

yeovalleyrocks Thu 13-Jan-11 15:16:37

I was going to post the same!

My dd's are 11mo and 2.5yo. Asda said no, only over 16's. (could have been over 6 yo, I cant remember what dp said)

I was going to try my GP to see what they say.

Rockybouton Thu 13-Jan-11 14:43:39

Thanks TCOB. I have just looked online but only 2 Asdas down here and neither have a pharmacy

TCOB Thu 13-Jan-11 14:14:10

Try an Asda!!! GOOD LUCK and be pushy.

Rockybouton Thu 13-Jan-11 14:12:52

Does anyone know anywhere in Cornwall where I can get my 2.5 year old vaccinated. My husband had swine flu now and GP still won't vaccinate my son. Thank you.

TCOB Thu 13-Jan-11 14:12:51

Quick update: was hysterical by yesterday as mother in DS's best friend's school died from swine flu on Sunday. Drove 40 miles today to Asda, Coventry (just off M6), have now got private prescription so will be picking up my reserved jabs this afternoon and getting them done tomorrow by my GP. Totally knackered and strung out and cross with myself for being this crazy - but also relieved.

unpsychicsally Thu 13-Jan-11 11:06:26

Lexxity I am in lincolnshire but would be willing to travel to manchester, where did you get it done there?

cecebloom Thu 13-Jan-11 09:35:47

Thanks to Princess Deb and others who mentioned Medicentre at Victoria Station,

I have had my 2yo and 3yo vaccinated there and the only charge £20 each.

It was the only place I could find with vaccine still.

Journey was a nightmare angrybut worth it for the peace of mind

x

our school seems to be doing absolutely nothing about it despite flu being in the school. No letters home to remind parents about not dosing children up to the eyeballs and sending them in, no boxes of tissues in case children havent got any, no nothing! (dd is vaccinated due to asthma but I know there are children with compromised immune systems there who are at substantial risk if they do catch it)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now