Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

swine flu situation for under 5s worrying me BUT NO vaccine available for them.

(226 Posts)
waitingwaiting Tue 04-Jan-11 12:28:11

Hi
I've got a one year old and a 3 year old. 3 year old going back to Nursery School tomorrow. I must admit that I am very worried about the swine flu situation for the under 5s.

According to the Daily Mirror (30th Jan)the Swine flu is at epidemic levels for children aged 1-5 and paedriatric hospitals are close to 'not coping' - and the Telegraph (31 dec) also reports the same - Critically ill include 42 children under 5 and flu levels have doubled with that age group.

Okay, I guess parents have very differing views on this but I must say that I am rather concerned...

I've tried absolutely loads of avenues to see if I can get the vaccine for my under 3 year old with No success what so ever.

Boots/supermarkets etc wont give it, they will however dispense it under prescription for GP to adminster But my GP wont do a prescription. Bupa wont do it. In fact everywhere I try wont.

All I want to do is try to protect my family but just dont know how. The flu jabs have traditionally been offered for the elderly as thats the age the flu has affected before, however now we have a different strain of flu which does target the young however no one seems to want to protect the young and offer the vaccine.

It was offered to pregnant women last year and in turn protected the unborn baby, which I had, however now my baby is one years old, its as if its no longer important as no one will be prepared to protect her from the flu, despite the fact that she could be very poorly if she had it. Is it worth risking even one childs life? no. I dont think so.

Anyway, I'm rambling on a bit here, point is I want to protect my children and get them vaccinated but just cant. Anyone else in the same situation? and how do you feel about it? Why is it that all adults can easily get protected, yet children cant?

Many thanks

Nicola

Patsy99 Wed 05-Jan-11 15:39:46

SammEC - I'm worried that you're so worried! For most people it's just a bug that lasts a week or so, unpleasant but not too bad. Quite a few people don't even know they've had it.

And whilst 800 people in intensive care/39 deaths is bad, it's not exactly a disaster out of a population of 60 million.

Also, it won't be over until about March I think, so you can't stay in solitary confinement unitl then!

ledkr Wed 05-Jan-11 15:59:16

so glad its not just me worried,i have had it cos pg,dh has had it cos copper and ds has had it cos kidney probs.dd8 is the only one not covered then and she has an allergy to most ant biotics and is also under ent for reccurrant nasal infections unknown cause as yet,as most cases that result in death are from pneumonia its worrying that she may not be able to be treated effectively for chest infection.Apparently this is not high risk,i have heard that maternity ward are banning everyone but partners from visits which upsets me cos i have to have a section and wont be able to see my dcs- altho obviously for the best.
I dont even know where to start re new born do you just ban visitors and not go out??
Can you still carry it if been vaccinated does anyone know?

LJ29 Wed 05-Jan-11 16:02:17

I am extremely worried about this and have tried to get vaccinations for my children but do think we need to take a sensible approach. Keeping children off school will not stop them from getting it. Think about the hands that touch the handle of a supermarket trolley in Tesco or push on the door to a shop. You can pick up these germs absolutely anywhere and unless you put yourself in a bubble there are no guarantees.

SemperEadem Wed 05-Jan-11 16:04:26

I'm stressing about this too as would like my ds done asap. Have even looked into getting it privately too but am not having much joy at the mo.

I think the newborns will be protected via us Ledkr cos we had the jab a good few weeks before they are born so antibodies should be passing the placenta? Not sure but I think thats how it works. They reckon that only lasts for 6 months or so but by that point shouldn't the flu season be over?

Its my ds I am most concerned about - seems madness that I am willing to pay for my child to have something and I just can't get it!

MrsFruitcake Wed 05-Jan-11 16:22:34

I spoke to my MP yesterday and he is looking into the situation today.

Personally, the only choice I have is to get a private prescription written, collect it from Boots and then the local private hospital will administer it. I am waiting for a call to confirm this. I don't know what I'll do if the answer is no again.

I work at a GP surgery and today, the phones have not stopped ringing with calls from worried parents. We are doing it for £16 for kids, but the surgery I am registered with won't do it and say they have run out of the vaccine anyway.

I am so fed up and worried - I hardly slept last night. I feel this is quite serious.

MyBoysHaveDogsNames Wed 05-Jan-11 16:23:03

I rang my doctor this afternoon and they have just had a meeting where they decided that they would now be offering the vaccine to under 5s. The receptionist wasn't sure whether this was new policy or just our surgery's decision but the nurse will call me later.

If not, I will go to a private doctor. There is a private clinic locally that will do it for £20 a shot.

redshinyshoes Wed 05-Jan-11 16:26:43

LISTEN UP FOLKS!!!
Just spoken to the nurse who administers the vaccines at our doctors surgery and she has told me we can get the vaccine for our children for £15 each at another NHS surgery (their 'sister' surgery) as private patients, just not the surgery we are registered at (not sure why this is...) apparently it works like this across the country. Also if the surgery you contact is out of the vaccine you can get a prescription for it from them, get the vaccine from Boots Sainsburys or Tesco and take it back to the surgery to be administered. Phew!

redshinyshoes Wed 05-Jan-11 16:50:29

They are also offering it at BMI clinics for anyone over the age of 4 years for £40 as between the ages of 4-13 they need two doses

redshinyshoes Wed 05-Jan-11 16:51:18

It means me, DH and DD will be protected but not DS who is 2 years old, he will have less chance of getting it though if we aren't bringing it into the house

moragdingdongbellingham Wed 05-Jan-11 17:03:06

I called my BMI clinic and they won't do it for under 18s. Maybe it's a localised decision?

I found one private dr in London who will do it for £20 for anyone 6mnths upwards. North London if anyone interested.

Manicmummyhavinabiccy Wed 05-Jan-11 17:32:38

I'm still waiting for a ring back from practice nurse, which doesnt look like its coming! but am also worried about my dc's they both had it last year as ds had almost died having pneumonia and dd having mild astma (no medication)
But as im pg, I the inj' in oct, but am unsure what vacc' i've had!? is there more than one type?

No, there's just one vaccine this year for seasonal flu and swine flu combined.

hillyhilly Wed 05-Jan-11 17:51:26

I've had myself and 2xdc done by a private GP in Sheffield this afternoon who charged £20 each, the dc have to have another shot in 4 weeks for another £20 each.
The GP said that as the H1N1 ie swine flu, has not mutated then as it stands we are vaccinated for life, the annual flu vaccine has different ingredients each time as flu keeps changing - when I heard this I felt pretty silly for not taking up the offer of a free vaccine on the NHS last year but it felt somehow more remote and also seemed to be only people with underlying health problems which does not seem to be the case so much this year.
So, we're done - at least partially until the kids get their top ups

goodmanners Wed 05-Jan-11 18:08:19

My ds under 5 got it last yr but no offer this yr hmmm anyway i am posting becuse i was alarmed today my colleague who is 6 months pg has been trying to get it and not offered through gp when asked when told to by midwife - so gp told her to go to a walk in who dont have it for her as pg who sent her to tesco who wouldnt give it as she is pg and was told to go back to gp who said same thign as did the pct - crock of shit. I am debating paying to have it done at tesco for myself and am at docs for ds on monday to enquire whilst trying to get someinfo regards his reoccuring croupe. So has the conseravtives privatised the flu jab then?

waitingwaiting Wed 05-Jan-11 18:09:49

anyone know of where we could get it for a 3 year old in the North West area? Chester/liverpool/manchester way... I really am not having any luck at all.. tried various private practices and all are not giving it out now privately as stocks are low and they are saving it for their regualar clients. Its really maddening as my own doctors surgery does have plenty of supplies yet they wont give it as it doesnt follow NHS guidelines. They also wont write a prescription for me to buy it privately as that also isnt in NHS guidelines. Besides most private places are also running out. Any ideas????

ledkr Wed 05-Jan-11 18:18:15

hillyhow did you find the private gp?Dont even know where to start.

ledkr Wed 05-Jan-11 18:19:35

in cheltenham here any suggestions??

highlystrung Wed 05-Jan-11 18:30:34

LEDKR - I've had my children done via Independent General Practice (look them up on Google) - which have offices in Bristol, Cardiff and some other placese - cost £25 and got same day appointment, though they need a booster in four weeks time.

redshinyshoes Wed 05-Jan-11 18:31:54

The best thing you can do is contact the practice nurse at your GP's surgery, they will be able to advise you better than anyone, also check out the private health clinics/hospitals in the area, google them.

Biscuitbreaker Wed 05-Jan-11 18:56:29

If you have had the jab after giving birth and are breastfeeding - does that give some immunity to a newborn?

goingroundthebend4 Wed 05-Jan-11 18:57:51

I did ask about it as the most vunerable in my house is dd but due to way her immune system works or in her case does not work she can not have it

I did see about then getting me and the other dc done as way of protecting her but places have run out

Bur after weighing it up she will carry on going to school going out as normal .The only thing that will be differnt us if it becomes issue within her school/class .Then everyone agrees that she will then need to be withdrawn

the main thing you can all do apart from not panicking is wash hands regulary and catch it and bin it

Ewe Wed 05-Jan-11 19:26:16

I don't know for sure (as I haven't actually looked into it yet) but the private GP service I use in London has a Manchester office - worth a call if nothing else as doesn't say on website specifically about children Doctor Call.

medicentre for London people.

Manicmummyhavinabiccy Wed 05-Jan-11 19:45:47

Just been on NHS choices website, and the at risk groups include ' those who work with poultry' wtf?! i thought it was swine flu, not bird fu??? We have to pet chickens, so have I exposed my dc to swine flu?!GOD am more worried than ever! confused

Gatchinio Wed 05-Jan-11 19:47:22

220. Just think about that number.

---

Similar experience for us - our GP refused to vaccinate our 1 yr old, as did Boots/Tesco.

Our GP suggested we try private at the Portland Hospital.

I called two of the recommended doctors, both of whom quoted me the same fees:

£40 for the prescription / jab
£180 for the 'consultation'

I asked, and no, one could not have the jab without the consultation.

THAT'S A TOTAL OF £220 TO VACCINATE YOUR CHILD. Rip-off Britain strikes again - at your children.

Shameful indeed to allow price gouge during an epidemic.

£220 to protect your child against the flu epidemic is PATHETIC and we should all hold both this government and the medical establishment responsible.

By the way, £220 compares to £12.95 for adults at Boots.

Get mad people. 220.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now