Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyway worried about swine flu this year?

(50 Posts)
peggy0062 Thu 28-Oct-10 17:08:23

I hear this year's seasonal flu jab includes swine flu protection.
Is anyone giving their kids seasonal flu jab from private? That's because our GP isn't going to give flu jabs to children.

Kids don't normally get flu jabs unless they have chronic health conditions!

I'm not terribly worried about swine flu - certainly not enough to have the jab (again) if it didn't work first time, why would it now? Also we've all had it once.

POFAKKEDDthechair Wed 03-Nov-10 21:57:36

Did you get the jab last year whomovedmy chocolate?

I don't know what to think about this year.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Wed 03-Nov-10 21:59:36

No.

I've never had 'flu. I've had heavy colds, but not 'flu.

I'll take my chance on this one again rather than get injected with some fairly nasty chemicals just incase.

donarvaez29 Fri 19-Nov-10 00:38:15

Have you actually heard the latest news? There's a new swine flu case in Hongkong two days ago, if I'm not mistaken.

ICouldHaveWrittenThis Fri 19-Nov-10 00:41:08

No.

sexybrunettemotherof5 Fri 19-Nov-10 00:44:33

No HTH x

My 4yo had swine flu last year..I still refused the jab for my other kids. He was very ill, did not eat for 9 days and did not drink for 3, but he is fine. Flu is flu.. there will always be new strains.

Hkal Sat 20-Nov-10 01:58:39

donarvaez29 - don't think there are any cases of swine flu here. Woman recently diagnosed with influenza A (HS) a variant of BIRD flu. A virus normally confined to poultry. Unless you've seen different news ?

Musukebba Mon 22-Nov-10 12:38:21

Yes the Hong Kong case was H5N1.

We have had one swine flu (H1N1 2009) case so far this winter season, but that was imported from the Far East.

The main thing we are seeing at the moment is RSV.

AphraBen Sat 04-Dec-10 01:55:51

Had swine flu last year (as did both kids)
This year we've all had the jab (in the US)
but think it was massively over egged in the press.

Musukebba Tue 07-Dec-10 18:30:23

Since last week we have diagnosed several cases of SF, none with travel: so looks like it is back.

Elibean Fri 10-Dec-10 16:23:17

Hello Musu, long time no see smile

<slinks off as nothing much to say about swine flu>

Hulababy Fri 10-Dec-10 16:27:00

No intention of having any flu jabs this year either for myself or DD. Never had any before.

I was hospitlised last January and put in seclusion due to swine flu symptoms and pnuemonia. As it happenedd I didn't have swine flu but was very poorly with pnuemonia. The over reaction with the seclusion, the face masks, etc. in the hospital was horrid - even the doctors were bemused by it.

Musukebba Wed 15-Dec-10 18:47:34

Hi Elibean smile: yes was v quiet until a couple of weeks ago. Now extremely busy with RSV, FluA and Flu B all around at the same time. It's early days yet, but many more hospitalised cases than anticipated from community reports of fluA circulating.

tulu Thu 16-Dec-10 07:43:52

Video here explains how Swine Flu is only distinct from the common cold as it is two types of strains together. Double trouble
Vitamin c and D and stay warm!

http://www.fluscam.com/HOME.html

FanjoForTheMincePies Thu 16-Dec-10 07:55:25

Hmm that website is promoting/selling his dubious products for "flu protection" ..i.e. "alkaline energised water"..(wtf!?) so i would avoid avoid avoid!!!

BikeKitten Thu 16-Dec-10 07:57:25

Hi, I read in the news yesterday that 10 people have died from swine flu this winter sad

FanjoForTheMincePies Thu 16-Dec-10 08:01:19

yes, but many people die every winter from regular seasonal flu (3000), it just isn't in the papers!)

TinselinaBumSquash Thu 16-Dec-10 08:09:45

My DS1 has had teh Flu and SF jab but he has medical reasons, 11 children in the school have already been off with it. I got it last year and have never felt as ill as i did then.

BikeKitten Thu 16-Dec-10 10:57:11

FanjoForTheMincePies - yep you are right that there are always deaths from flu, however, apparently there have been 12 people in total who have died from flu this winter, 10 of these from swine flu so it does seem that swine flu is a particularly nasty strain.

sarah293 Thu 16-Dec-10 10:59:57

Message withdrawn

PadmeHum Thu 16-Dec-10 11:02:39

No intention of having flu jabs.

I had the flu in 1999 and about 6 weeks ago. It is truly awful but I believe in letting my body sort it's own immunity out.

My entire family had swine flu last year. I escaped reasonably unscathed (not sure why). Having said that I was the only one to get flu this year, I was dying and they were all fine.

dikkertjedap Thu 16-Dec-10 11:25:09

Riven how do you know that 5 out of 10 people who died recently of swine flu had been vaccinated? Do you have any link to an article?

I am very worried, was vaccinated last year, but not this year yet. Saw GP yesterday didn't want to vaccinate me as I still have a cold (I have severe asthma). Would like dd to be vaccinated privately, but again she still having cold/cough etc and told to wait till she is completely better. My DH got swine flu in Summer 2009 he was very very ill, normally he is never ill.

Lorna1234 Thu 16-Dec-10 12:26:31

My GP is only vaccinating pregnant women against flu and not swine flu at the moment. I guess I'll find out why when I go!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now