'Unexpected item'.. self service tills, the good, the bad...

(78 Posts)
Draylon Wed 05-Oct-16 20:48:29

...and your opinion?

Please? I have a sixth form project to do and I thought I might get some thoughts on here.

Using my mum's log in (she knows!) to ask what you like about self-service tills, Tesco, B&Q etc.

What do you like about them? Dislike?

What would make the experience better for you?

Have you noticed an improvement in their efficiency over the past few years? Or is the experience always a pain?

I'm also thinking about social things, as well, like how you feel about a reduction in staff numbers, and being able to buy more private stuff more anonymously, that sort of thing.

Thanks!

Draylon Wed 05-Oct-16 21:02:03

...anyone?...!

MumOnTheRunCatchingUp Wed 05-Oct-16 21:05:45

I have found people are now getting used to self service. 3 years ago people hated them, nowadays they are popular. Very popular in our store, with the under 40's

Fruitcocktail6 Wed 05-Oct-16 21:06:21

The Sainsbury's ones are absolutely awful, Tesco I don't mind so much.

It would improve my experience if they didn't talk to me, particularly to tell me to please take my items at the end, no I'll just leave it there thanks hmm

PotOfYoghurt Wed 05-Oct-16 21:08:02

I like

that they're normally quick
I don't have to take my headphones out to speak to someone

I don't like
When it won't take my pound coins
'Unknown item in the bagging area' when there isn't and the staff member has to come over and swipe their card to fix it
If I need help and no staff can be seen so you either wait it out or risk looking for someone and losing your till

PotOfYoghurt Wed 05-Oct-16 21:09:03

Oh and I really bloody hate when they won't stop talking. 'Insert cash, or click 'pay by card'. Yes just fucking wait a minute while I get the money in.

greenfolder Wed 05-Oct-16 21:09:21

The ones in our local tesco lag behind. Literally you are half way you the door when it announces thank you for shopping at tesco.
Turn the sound down.
Have more than one member of staff for 8 machines.

MycatsaPirate Wed 05-Oct-16 21:09:47

Local Asda ones work great and there is always a shop assistant around if you need help. The ones at the big store are shit and constantly tell you that you have packed an item, even if you have. Then it tells you to re-scan it. All the staffed tills are for trolley loads and I am not going to wait while someone puts through £100 worth of shopping when I want to pay for three things.

I end up getting really ratty and shouting at the machine. Which is daft because it doesn't make it work any better.

I prefer my local little Asda and will use them for a few items every time. But the big store with the crap machines can do one.

Dontneedausername Wed 05-Oct-16 21:11:51

I like the Tesco ones, but Co-Op and Asda are awful and slow! They seem to take forever to acknowledge that the item is in the bagging area 😡
Hated it when Tesco removed the carrier bags so you had to ask but our Tesco has recently put them back and you just need to be honest about how many you are paying for.
I like them for quickness and buying private things.
I dislike them when it doesn't acknowledge DCs light blind bags!

gingercat02 Wed 05-Oct-16 21:12:43

Sainsbury's ones are crap, the rest are OK but I still use them because I hate queueing

RedSauceAndJellyJuice Wed 05-Oct-16 21:13:03

Absolutely hate them
Every self service kills one persons job
They make a profit on everything we buy , where is the service ?
I stood for over 10 minutes at a well known endorsed by the queen supermarket recently because they don't employ enough staff
Waiting for an elderly person to pay and chat no problem - trying to sell it to customers as efficient , nah

Ilikesweetpeas Wed 05-Oct-16 21:13:26

I like the fact that they're usually quicker, find them very irritating when they insist I have an unexpected item in the bagging area. Also when they're aren't enough staff to then reset the machines. I also wonder how much shoplifting occurs because of the increased use of these tills

user1471521456 Wed 05-Oct-16 21:14:28

They are convenient but annoying. The three most annoying things about them, in no particular order:
1) I still haven't figured out how to put a bag onto the packing area so I can pack my shopping direct without sending the machine into meltdown over "unexpected item in bagging area".
2)Stop giving me orders. I'll remove my items in my own sweet time. One of the advantages of the self service is that it isn't compelled to ask about your day, but seriously, human cashiers are so much less bossy.
3) The 5p bag charge really, really annoys me as I feel it wastes precious seconds of my day, every time I shop. I have been in shops where you have to request bags from a member of staff, but the machine still asks if you have used any bags. If I had used a new bag, I would have scanned it, I don't need to be asked if I have used any bags.

traviata Wed 05-Oct-16 21:14:57

The one thing I really dislike is not being able to put my bag down in the bagging area ready for the shopping to go into. On a few tills you can do this, but most of them just go bananas if you actually put a Bag into the Bag area.

I think people have got more used to them now, and they seem more reliable and more responsive than when they were introduced.
I'm not at all bothered about the privacy - there's nothing which a supermarket sells that I'd be bothered about someone seeing me buy.
The potential loss of jobs is an issue; in many sectors it seems that people are being replaced by technology, and it's insidious. Small acts of communication, exchanging a smile and saying 'good afternoon' and all that - these are the tiny little exchanges that maintain a sense of community and human connection.
Also, for many people a trip out to the shops is the only time they will speak to another person all day, perhaps for a few days.

Foxyloxy1plus1 Wed 05-Oct-16 21:15:22

Not so keen on the B&Q ones, but don't object to Sainsbury's. There are usually two staff members monitoring at our local one. I prefer it for speed because I'm so used to dashing through Lidl, that queueing is a pain now and it all seems so slow.

yumyumlama Wed 05-Oct-16 21:16:48

I was enraged only today in Waitrose as (yet again) it didn't seem to think I'd put the goods into the bag ...worked my way through 4 tills (leaving a trail of Assistant needed notices) before an assistant arrived to sort out. But when it works it's so much quicker I keep persevering ......

cheeseandmarmite15 Wed 05-Oct-16 21:17:00

It is annoying when lightweight items do not register and you have to wait for an assistant.

It's even more annoying when assistant is chatting to another member of staff, not related to work.

SelfLoadingFreight Wed 05-Oct-16 21:17:03

Those who, like me, hate the nagging voice, you can turn it off. If you look at the screen, usually at the bottom near the corner, there's a slider that controls the volume - just slide it down with your finger for nag free purchasing...

FinnMcCool Wed 05-Oct-16 21:17:49

Nope, still hate them. In all shops.
There is always some item they don't recognise and I have to wait for the overworked one assistant who is running about between all tills. Or I've to wait for approval to be given to buy wine, paracetamol, batteries(!).
Or I have to beg the assistant for a bag if I forget one.
Or I can't find the vegetable I want to weigh, and the search is crap.
I could go on...😄

Not bothered at all about privacy at manned tills, I'm old enough to not care what the staff think about what I buy.

One thing I really hate though is queuing up to use them and everyone shuffling forward pushing baskets along the floor with their feet. Gives me the rage that does. For no normal reason I know, I just don't like it.

ItsJustPaint Wed 05-Oct-16 21:19:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mrssmith79 Wed 05-Oct-16 21:21:00

I hate the Morrison's ones (or is it Tesco) that asks are you sure ????? when you input that you haven't used any 5p bags. As if it's giving you one final chance to 'fess up to heinous bag theft angry

chanie44 Wed 05-Oct-16 21:23:36

My biggest hate is other faffy people using them. For example, they go really slowly and it takes ages. Rather than putting their stuff straight into a bag, the pile it up and then pack one they've paid.

I hate the constant 'item removed from bagging area'. My children often grab their snacks once I've scanned them and even if you try and put the item back in the bagging area, it doesn't recognise it and you have to wait for the staff to come over to authorise the machine.

I also hate the waiting for the staff to remove a security tag etc, if they are busy, it can take a while.

When they work well, they can work really well. Some of the cashiers work like they have no life in them and are so slow, so I don't mind doing it myself.

LazySusan11 Wed 05-Oct-16 21:28:17

I love my local Waitrose ones, no ridiculous bagging area that gets offended. Just an area in which you can scan and pack at your leisure. It's perfect it means I can put my empty bags in my trolley and pack as I scan.

Vvlgari Wed 05-Oct-16 21:28:58

I love self service tills. There are always massive queues in my local supermarket and I can self-scan and be done in a fraction of the time.

However, I would prefer that supermarkets have someone there to quickly clear alcohol purchases or errors. In the local supermarket, it's very obvious they expect staff to keep an eye out for the red flashing light rather than have someone on hand.

For me, it's about getting a few things quickly and not having to wait at checkouts.

Toohardtofindaproperusername Wed 05-Oct-16 21:30:58

Hate them because every time I use them I think of people who are losing their jobs because of them. And they are crap anyway.... Hate being talked to by machines....
Still sometimes use them but feel forced to do so as shops increase the use of them. Think if we all stopped using them there night be a few more jobs around ...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now