Controversy, advertising, your body and what you *really* think

(64 Posts)
PsychResearcher Fri 12-Aug-16 22:19:48

Hello Mumsnetters,

There's been a lot of media coverage about the subjects I am researching, as a Psychology Masters student at the London College Of Fashion.

I'd like to offer you the chance to participate and help provide some real, evidenced insight.

All females over 18 may take part, it takes 5-10 minutes to complete, it's anonymous and confidential from start to finish and you will be provided with more information about the study at the start including my contact details, and further interesting details about the topics once you complete the survey.

Please take 5-10 minutes and click on the link below, and if you can share this link with friends and family too that would be super.

www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/XBQVF78

Many thanks,

Deborah Samuel
London College of Fashion

Wigeon Fri 12-Aug-16 22:24:13

Done, interesting and clearly put together.

PsychResearcher Fri 12-Aug-16 22:35:47

Thank you Wigeon, and for being so quick to respond! It's much appreciated. Please share the survey link if you're able to. Thanks again. - Deborah

PsychResearcher Sat 13-Aug-16 07:53:37

A gentle bump for Saturday morning.

PsychResearcher Mon 15-Aug-16 19:04:24

Here is your chance to say what you really feel about something that made news headlines! Please go to the first post in this thread and complete the survey which is part of psychological research into this media-frenzy topic.

Another bump for Monday evening too!

kohl Mon 15-Aug-16 21:00:59

Done

LuckySantangelo1 Mon 15-Aug-16 21:07:28

Done!

PsychResearcher Tue 16-Aug-16 19:32:05

Thank you very much kohl and LuckySantangelo1! I need more women to take this survey and unfortunately this topic is quite hidden away, so please share the surveymonkey link with other women that you know so we can add their voices too. Thank you!

veryproudvolleyballmum Tue 16-Aug-16 19:36:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

StealthPolarBear Tue 16-Aug-16 19:43:57

Done smile was food for thought as well . I have a positive self image and high self esteem but it was interesting how I still feel the need to be thin (rather than just healthy)

MatildaOfTuscany Tue 16-Aug-16 20:05:14

Done!

I was interested that the questions about athleticism were all centred round "do you want to look muscular" rather than "Do you want to be muscular?" The younger me would have said yes to the latter (several sports requiring strength) but would have said "don't really give a flying fuck about the former" - I mean, it was a nice side benefit, but not the reason I did it.

PsychResearcher Tue 16-Aug-16 20:12:54

Hi StealthPolarBear - thank you very much for taking the time to complete my survey. I'm pleased the subtle differences were picked up by you; the starting position of thought and opinion often flexes when one is asked to precisely define it or give a reason, and sometimes they don't flex but one is left feeling a bit of a contradiction is going on somewhere! So, as the survey is truly anonymous I don't know (nor must I know!) what you entered, but going by your post it will be interesting to analyse connections between any need to be thin, where that need might derive from (internal, external) and reaction to the advert. Really pleased it was food for thought. And might I make a shamless request for you to share this link with others your know, on FB etc. Women sharing across their network (young and old) is going to be the only way I can get this distributed widely. Thanks again.

Systamex Tue 16-Aug-16 20:28:08

Done. Very interesting!

caffelatte100 Tue 16-Aug-16 20:38:27

Done! Interesting. I don't even like how that model looks. She is much too thin to even look pleasant!

angryangryyoungwoman Tue 16-Aug-16 20:40:08

Just done it, interesting! Great to be able to give an opinion on this subject, thanks

brandyandsummergloves Tue 16-Aug-16 20:40:16

I've done it too! Interesting, I remember the furore over the advert

PsychResearcher Tue 16-Aug-16 20:47:20

Thank you very much MatildaofTuscany and Systamex for taking part. Yes - the questions are very deliberately worded because, as you've shown, "to look" and "to be" (without getting all existential here as even this is debated), have different meanings in a subject's mind. And even closely tying a "reason" to do something with an expression of "wanting to" do something (as in your post), is again a subjective link. For example, even if it was a nice side benefit then one may say yes, it is true that you had a "want" to look muscular (otherwise it would have been an unpleasant side effect!). So the answer could be yes when looked at it this way. But using the reasoning angle, the answer would be no, you did not want to look muscular (since it was not the reason for being muscular). See - it gets even more complicated! And I'm pleased you Systamex found it very interesting too. Thanks to you both.

JuniorWhopper Tue 16-Aug-16 20:49:01

Done!

PsychResearcher Tue 16-Aug-16 21:01:38

Oooh, this is great! Thank you caffelatte100, angryangryyoungwoman, brandyandsummergloves and JuniorWhopper. I'm glad you enjoyed (if that's the word) taking part. The questions and advert together as a package will give very interesting results, I believe. There were and are a wide range of reactions to the advert, some were highly publicised in the media, other reactions weren't, many were all grouped together under one umbrella term to suit headlines, yet the thousands of women concerned who had a wide range of opinions for and against it - and I should emphasis how neutral this survey is - were never asked "Why do you feel the way you do?" I'd have asked a lot more questions if I were allowed, and I shall delve deeper in future research, but I hope this research I am undertaking takes that first step into exploring the subjects raised. Thanks again, and please share far and wide!

SwivelOnYourRedChair Tue 16-Aug-16 21:10:08

Done!

LapinR0se Tue 16-Aug-16 21:15:55

Done

Finbar Tue 16-Aug-16 21:21:21

Done!
Thanks for the opportunity to respond

SpeakNoWords Tue 16-Aug-16 21:27:22

Done!

slightlypreoccupied Tue 16-Aug-16 21:30:53

Done, very good survey and thoughtfully put together. Are you going to put the results up when they are collated?

DramaAlpaca Tue 16-Aug-16 21:32:15

Good survey.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now