Talking about money in picture books?

(10 Posts)
astridpicturebooks Thu 18-Jun-15 11:07:33

Hello fellow book enthusiasts!

I don't have children but I am pretty curious about how toddlers start learning about money. (Full disclosure: I am doing a research project on this, and I am happy to share any insights in due course. This is just an informal question to see if there's any interest in the topic, really!)

Do you have any picture books about dealing with money that you like? I've found them to be few and far in between (or mainly American). And then some of our favourite stories do feature money in some way, like in an illustration—that's interesting too. It just strikes me that there seems to be very little out there.

What are your thoughts on this? Am I missing something obvious?

Linds53 Thu 18-Jun-15 20:48:51

The Great Pet Sale by Mick Inkpen is the only one that springs to mind.

Asleeponasunbeam Thu 18-Jun-15 20:55:46

Dogger by Shirley Hughes. Dave doesn't have enough money to by Dogger back from the toy stall (he has a label saying 5p on him). By the time he finds his lovely sister, Bella, Dogger has been sold to another little girl.

Read and weep!

Asleeponasunbeam Thu 18-Jun-15 20:56:55

Yes, Mick Inkpen is great for beautifully gentle introductions to all kinds of situations.

Crusoe Thu 18-Jun-15 20:58:38

There is very little out there because if UK based it won't sell in the USA or Australia.

howtodrainyourflagon Thu 18-Jun-15 21:03:02

Dogger is pretty much the only book I can think of with money in. And Tabby McTat, where they throw pennies into a hat.

My kids didn't really learn about money as toddlers, as we rarely use coins. They had toy credit cards, and they just waved their cards at things and got stuff (in their pretending games).

Vijac Thu 18-Jun-15 21:22:17

Interesting, most of them don't discuss money! I think some of the noddy books have money involved. Need money for car repair, goblin steals money etc. Also we have an old edition of 'pip squeak and the thieves' by Audrey tarrant, that have thieves stealing things, they can only go One ride at the fair as they 'haven't got much money' and then at the end, they catch the thieves and all the fairground ride owners give them free rides. Also we have a picture version of Robin Hood where they are collecting taxes the people don't have etc. Mr mean is all about money and some of the other Mr men books discuss it too eg. Mr men Christmas Carol, shopping trips etc.

BackforGood Thu 18-Jun-15 21:36:20

I'd say there aren't many books out there, as toddlers / people who 'read' picture books are too young to understand the concept of money as a rule.

broadbeanstew Thu 18-Jun-15 21:46:16

The Jolly Postman? Doesn't Goldilocks or someone get given a £1 note?

astridpicturebooks Tue 23-Jun-15 19:03:54

Thank you everyone, this is incredibly helpful! I've noted your suggestions and included them—they look great. And indeed, how could I overlook The Jolly Postman.

Crusoe, any insights on why UK books don't sell in other English-speaking countries? I thought there would be quite some overlap in the publishing industries.

Just to clarify: by money I also mean anything that acts as money (could also be tokens, cheques, etc.) So while it's possible parents don't talk explicitly about money, somewhere you're introducing the idea of it through treasures, for example, or indeed toy credit cards.

Actually, I've found that if you start thinking about thieves, you find many many more examples! Which is a very interesting cultural message...

If you do encounter anything else, or think of another example or book, please do let me know. It's inspiring to hear actual parents give their thoughts on this. And as I progress, I will be happy to share my findings.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now