'Ask the midwife' service - feedback?

(31 Posts)
ChrisAskAMidwife Tue 02-Jun-15 09:39:17

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask but just doing some initial market research...Would you guys be interested in using a mobile app that allows you to ask pregnancy related questions (text and photos) with replies coming from an NHS midwife?

This isn't meant as spam and I'm not selling anything, just looking for feedback.

sianihedgehog Tue 02-Jun-15 10:14:48

Yes, definitely.

ChrisAskAMidwife Tue 02-Jun-15 10:21:14

Great to hear. Thanks for the reply...I've just sent you a PM.

MissTwister Tue 02-Jun-15 10:24:41

My local hospital offers the service via email or Twitter but no-one ever comes back to you!

ChrisAskAMidwife Tue 02-Jun-15 10:27:49

That's what I've heard before...would you consider using an app where you did get a response? Also, is this something you'd be willing to pay for? Either a small micropayment - 20p-50p per question or a monthly amount (around 5-10 pounds)?

MissTwister Tue 02-Jun-15 10:45:39

Yes if the response was from a qualified MW. I have lots of stupid questions so a monthly payment would be preferable!

ChrisAskAMidwife Tue 02-Jun-15 10:47:21

Thanks MissTwister, I've sent you a PM.

HumptyDumptyBumpty Tue 02-Jun-15 10:47:23

Absolutely, and I'd pay at least what you suggest - I didn't have much contact with my mw during pregnancy and would have liked more.

ChrisAskAMidwife Tue 02-Jun-15 10:48:29

Thanks...I've sent you a PM Humpty if you'd be interested in being a beta tester.

tootsroots Tue 02-Jun-15 15:04:49

I agree, the time between appts and then the lack of time to ask questions is scary, I booked a GP appt to ask about pelvic pain and tingly arms and legs and she said to ask my midwife in the next appt...my midwife just said this was not a questions appt but a BP/urine test only (16weeks apt) and to ask my GP.. erm... ok i did that so now i am stuck! Next GP appt available is in 5 weeks for non urgent.. so uh... Stuck again.

I am 18 weeks and have no one to ask who is actually qualified even tho the brains on these boards with heaps of experience are good and balanced, sometimes a 'Yes this is normal and don't worry it is due to XXXX' would stop my anxiety dead.

I would pay monthly easily or micro - def a missing resource.

PausingFlatly Tue 02-Jun-15 15:11:23

If this were an NHS service, what would people be paying for?

Wouldn't this be delivering the same information the GP or midwife would have to deliver in a face to face appointment - but in a way that's more timely for the patient and less expensive for the NHS.

PausingFlatly Tue 02-Jun-15 15:12:40

So are you fundamentally talking about charging for an NHS service?

Or providing a private service?

seriouslynonames Tue 02-Jun-15 15:13:54

Would be interested in this too. My midwife is v nice but basically defers all my questions back to me - so when I asked about a change in cervical mucous she asked if I thought it was something I should worry about - which was what I was asking her! When I asked about my prolapse she suggested I speak to GP who said I needed antenatal expertise. So would be good to get access to expert advice quickly just to know if I need to pursue a symptom or that it's normal, as previous posters have said.

Springtimemama Tue 02-Jun-15 15:15:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BeakyMinder Tue 02-Jun-15 15:21:03

Who's it sponsored by?
How would we know the midwives were giving accurate advice?
What would happen to the very sensitive personal data you would be collecting from people who used the service?

pasbeaucoupdegendarme Tue 02-Jun-15 15:25:10

Sort of yes, but wouldn't it just end up a bit like 111 where, if there's any element of doubt at all they just refer you to a&e anyway even if you don't need it?

For "normal" queries (the sort that are asked in these boards a lot) then I can see it might be useful... But then I wouldn't pay for it, I'd ask on here!! But for anything I wanted actually to ask a qualified mw about, such as reduced movements, or feeling unusually shite, or swollen ankles + headache or similar, I can't imagine a 3rd party could do much other than refer me to someone who could actually look at my specific stats.

AbbeyRoadCrossing Tue 02-Jun-15 15:26:28

It depends. I'd rather than the NHS spent the money on midwife training (I get completely different answers from different midwives which can be confusing) and having someone actually answer the phone and emails than an app.

AbbeyRoadCrossing Tue 02-Jun-15 15:29:17

Also it seems as though most of my notes are on paper, how would the midwives answering the questions have access to all that? If they don't it could be very dangerous. I agree with PP it'll be like NHS direct / 111 where they just refer you anyway.
Any simple questions e.g. food is on the NHS website anyway

FlipUpDown Tue 02-Jun-15 15:34:27

I worry that the advice would mainly be "go and see your midwife if you're worried", when that's the problem-getting in touch with them in nigh on impossible. For example I have a sharp pain in my bump right now, without seeing me I know the advice would be to get it checked. I'd pay for an informed answer, but I'd guess it would pointless.

Also, would the legalities/ insurance be an issue? God forbid bad advice given without seeing a woman could lead to false reassurance? It's a fine line, maybe a service for low risk women only? Someone's medical history that is unknown to you could really change an answer

ChrisAskAMidwife Tue 02-Jun-15 15:49:25

This would be a completely private service, although the midwives answering questions would be qualified NHS midwives.

I understand about the "go and see your gp response"...We were thinking of giving the option of video calling if the question was a little more specific, would that help?

Initially we were thinking of a monthly subscription or payment per question.

We'll be looking for beta testers soon so please PM me if you'd like to be considered.

Thanks all the feedback...really appreciate it!

Daffodilliesanddaisies Tue 02-Jun-15 15:54:58

This is something I would be interested in too.

PausingFlatly Tue 02-Jun-15 17:07:17

Eh? So you don't mean NHS midwife at all. You just mean midwife.

Also, since you're nothing to do with the NHS, the midwife won't have access to your notes.

AbbeyRoadCrossing Tue 02-Jun-15 17:12:52

If it's private I wouldn't use it, it'd take so long to go through everything in my notes (and if you don't do that things could go seriously wrong) I might as well have asked my NHS midwife anyway. All simple queries are on the web so I wouldn't ask about anything easy to find out.

PausingFlatly Tue 02-Jun-15 17:18:53

Well my feedback would be that if you take the brand name of the NHS in vain, you are likely to end up on the wrong end of legal action.

You'd be in trouble if you tried it with Harrods. You'll be in considerably more trouble offering a medical service, where customers might reasonably believe someone using the NHS brand was an integrated part of the NHS, and all the information-sharing that entails.

PausingFlatly Tue 02-Jun-15 17:20:45

In short, if you're offering a private service, just be upfront about it.

There will be people who will want to buy that. But they shouldn't be misled about what's on offer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now