Mums through TS surrogacy - how do you feel when baby is here?

(6 Posts)
hhhhhhh Tue 08-Jul-14 15:31:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

tilly14 Thu 17-Jul-14 18:39:14

Just do what you want and ignore any negative comments.

YOU ARE THE MUM and you will know best.

The worst comments I received were from the in-laws who constantly harped on about how she looked/behaved/acted like members of their family. I was just over sensitive.

Now she's 8, I don't take any notice and still count my lucky stars every day of the week. She is the most special, wonderful, beautiful daughter I could ever have had.

Enjoy xx

ShergarAndSpies Thu 17-Jul-14 18:47:52

Apologies, I have no experience of surrogacy myself but your thread popped up on active convos and I wanted to tell you about my best friend.

She and her husband conceived their DD through IVF using his sperm and a donor egg. I know she was anxious at first and their DD does look very like her dad but honestly, she looks so like her mum too that even I forget sometimes how she was conceived.

She is 4 now and has so many of her mum's little quirks and mannerisms, body language, expressions and phrases. If you met them in the park, you would be hugely surprised to hear she came from a donor egg.

SaltyGoodness Mon 21-Jul-14 21:15:37

Only problem I've had is the odd person who doesn't know DD was from donor eggs and tells me how much DD looks like me grin

I just smile and say that she's a little miracle. We are very open about it all.

tilly14 is right... and I would add that with any comments like you fear might come along from time to time, you'll be so over the moon at finally being parents that I promise you won't care, or if you do it will fade very quickly. I personally glow with pride when people point out how she looks like DH but I've always figured just cos I can't pass my genes on is no reason why he shouldn't!

Good luck with the induced lactation, would love to hear how that goes for you?

blanketyblank100 Fri 31-Oct-14 14:21:47

We're on a surrogacy journey using an anonymous donor egg but the donor was chosen to reflect my appearance and interests. We'll tell the child but no one else. It's up to the child what he/she wishes to say in the future. But I'm not concerned about any of it. I have a friend who is white and has just adopted a black baby...they're family, you can just tell. Who cares how it happened!

frobskottle Sat 21-May-16 15:01:35

there have been studies that show that children mimic their parents facial expressions therefore the muscles in their face develop the same way as their parents making them look even more like them....the same happens with non-biological children. My SIL is adopted and looks soo like the family people are shocked when she tells them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now