And now a limp...

(17 Posts)
PurpleDaisies Thu 24-Nov-16 11:05:43

On top of the kidney failure, Mrs pig has now developed a pretty serious limp on her back leg. I heard all the herd running for cover this morning (for no apparent reason) and I wonder if she did it then. We're off to the vet this afternoon-she seems in a lot of pain and I wonder if this might be the final straw for her. It's totally pathetic but I can't stop crying.

FernieB Thu 24-Nov-16 12:32:00

Poor Mrs Pigflowers. She is having a tough time. Fingers and paws crossed it goes well at the vets this afternoon. Hopefully she's just jarred her leg and it will improve itself.

My old Smoothpig started dragging one of his hind legs one day. I had no clue how he'd injured himself and Scruffypig maintains his innocencehmm. Anyway, he went on a diet of anti inflammatories and pain killers (which he loved) and I had to separate them for a bit so he could rest his leg, but he did recover quite quickly. Getting them back together again took slightly longerconfused. The vet was a bit dubious as to whether he'd recover as his X-ray showed significant inflammation but he bounced back rapidly and after a week you'd never have known he'd been injured.

pipsqueak25 Thu 24-Nov-16 12:33:56

cry as much as you like, i had to take my beloved g.piggy to the vet this morning to be pts and still very sad, we love our animals, we are human, let's have a sob together sad

FernieB Thu 24-Nov-16 12:37:55

Also had a similar thing with my previous bun. Despite limping a lot at home, she refused to move at all for the vet so they struggled to see how badly she was moving. Again, anti inflammatories and painkillers and within a couple of days she was back to normal.

They can jar and bruise their legs and get minor strains which are painful so they limp, but as with humans a bit of rest and time and it gets better.

Thinking of you this afternoon. These hairy little wheekmonsters really know how to worry us!

PurpleDaisies Thu 24-Nov-16 12:42:31

So sorry to hear that pipsqueak. It's such a horrible decision to make but I'm sure it was for the best. I bet you gave them a lovely life. flowers

I just feel so sorry for poor old Mrs pig. If it had been any of the others I wouldn't be so worried-I know they'd be ok with a bit of tlc and painkillers but it just seems so unfair that she's stuck with this on top of everything else. She does love her metacam though so hopefully after a few days she might be ok. I'm a bit worried about sobbing in the waiting room.

PurpleDaisies Thu 24-Nov-16 12:43:54

Thanks fernie. It's good to hear some positive stories. Mrs pig actually did this a year ago on a front leg and was fine the next day. It's just on top of the kidney issues that makes me worry.

pipsqueak25 Thu 24-Nov-16 13:01:25

thanks purple pinga had a benign tumour but it was starting to cause problems, still wasn't easy thouhg,don't worry about a cry in the waiting room, the staff are used to it and will be kind and understanding. our vet lights a candle for the deceased pet and there is a little notice staying that a beloved pet has passed and we should all love our pets that little bit more today as their lives are so precious, some might say that is a bit... but i think it is a nice touch at a sad time.
hope mrs pig is feeling better soon, give her a hug from me, thinking of you both flowers

PurpleDaisies Thu 24-Nov-16 15:04:29

There are no obvious breakages so she's had a shot of kidney safe painkillers and we're going home with tramadol. Anti inflammatories are out because of the kidney function issue. Bloods are being rechecked on Monday so hopefully we'll have a better idea then. She's either limping less or hiding it better so I guess that's a good thing.

FernieB Thu 24-Nov-16 17:27:47

Purple that's great news and Mrs Pig gets extra of the yummy meds, so it's a win all roundgrin. Never worry about sobbing at the vets - they're used to it. I suspect a large part of their day is spent counselling owners!

Pipsqueak - your vets sound lovely. Sorry to hear about your pig - it's so sad when it's time to say goodbye to them and the house always feels a bit emptier. Hope you feel better

pipsqueak25 Thu 24-Nov-16 20:50:57

great news about mrs pig purple thank you fernie missing my little girl so much as are her house mates, [they all live indoors together] so it is more obvious, sniff.

FernieB Fri 25-Nov-16 21:33:12

How's Mrs Pig doing now?

PurpleDaisies Fri 25-Nov-16 22:46:59

She seems a lot better-she's limping a lot less and seems much more comfortable on the tramadol. Last night she was very quiet after the painkilling injection so we syringe fed before bed and first thing this morning but she's back in the food dish and squeaking for veggies with the rest of them. Definitely better than yesterday, which is what we're aiming for at the moment.

FernieB Sat 26-Nov-16 07:01:51

That's lovely to hear. Sounds like she's enjoying life

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 26-Nov-16 08:52:00

Good to hear she's picking up, it does sound like an injury when they all made a run for it.
It could've been any one of The Herd that got injured, just unfortunately the PoorlyMrsPig , so her treatment was more difficult to manage sad

My boar (not the leader of the herd, he knows his place) says "never run anywhere. Food doesn't run away and we trust the SheDevil not to let adders'n'eagles get us" (And mine are too flipping lazy )

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 26-Nov-16 08:54:48

very quiet after the painkilling injections

guineas don't like needles, poor souls (and its not nice for the owner to watch either)

Painkillers knock a human out of kilter so for a tiny rodent , they will do the same.

Or its a Sympathy Ploy, like a DailyMailSadFace .

PurpleDaisies Thu 01-Dec-16 20:26:01

The news from the littlest pig is she's been doing pretty well. After a few days of tramadol the limping stopped and she's running around happily now. We've been back to the vet today for repeat kidney function bloods and I'm hoping there's been an improvement. Whatever they say she's been putting weight on again and is very cheerful so we're not at the end just yet.

FernieB Fri 02-Dec-16 07:00:26

That's lovely news. It's great when a poorly pig starts pootling again! She's a real fighter isn't she - a very determined pig.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now